what modem do you use

mike104393

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Check this thread out.

[Modem] [Odin] FC22! FC18, FC15, FC14, FC07, FC05, FB27, EL29, EL26, EL13, EG30, EK02 - xda-developers

I my self am on a Stock Rooted EL29 Rom / Kernel with FC15 Modem.

I had a question with the modem. I rooted my device with the one click odin but didn't put clockworksmod in my device. So, I'm still using the stock gingerbread EL29. Really want to try the new modems. Which one would you suggest and is it safe to change out only the modem?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Im on Stock Rooted EL29 ROM/Kernel and an hour ago i used ODIN to flash FC22 modem on my device. Prior to that i ran FC15 for a week or so and was happy with it.
I also dont have CWM on my device.
You should be ok to use Odin to flash FC modems with no issues.
Dont forget to do a Profile and PRL update when its back up and running.
Also i have noticed sometimes it takes a little while for my device to settle down. Ive noticed a few times that my signal strength will fluxuate a lot after i flash a modem. Generally after a power cycle or two, or about 20-30 minutes all is fine.

Reactions: mike104393

mike104393

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Im on Stock Rooted EL29 ROM/Kernel and an hour ago i used ODIN to flash FC22 modem on my device. Prior to that i ran FC15 for a week or so and was happy with it.
I also dont have CWM on my device.
You should be ok to use Odin to flash FC modems with no issues.
Dont forget to do a Profile and PRL update when its back up and running.
Also i have noticed sometimes it takes a little while for my device to settle down. Ive noticed a few times that my signal strength will fluxuate a lot after i flash a modem. Generally after a power cycle or two, or about 20-30 minutes all is fine.

IAmSixNine,

I noticed when I downloaded the FC15 modem file, it is a bin file not a tar. What does this mean? Should I still stick it where odin indicate phone file?

Mike

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
When you DL it it should have been zipped up. Unzip it and look for modem.bin
Different files use different file names. I dont remember the explanation but as long as you have modem.bin your ok.

Be sure to put it in the phone section. There is a tutorial in the begging of that link i sent you.

mike104393

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

What is the best modem that you guys are using? Notices there isn't a tread comparing it so I guess I'll just continue the discussion here. So far, the FC15 is working okay since I installed it yesterday. GPS locks in quite fast. But it still feels quite unstable. Any thoughts on the new ones?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I've had good results from all of the ICS leaked modems (FB to FC), but have found data speeds to be better and GPS to be more reliable on the more recent FC modems. I'm currently using FC18 and its working great.

kingcaliyone

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I've had good results from all of the ICS leaked modems (FB to FC), but have found data speeds to be better and GPS to be more reliable on the more recent FC modems. I'm currently using FC18 and its working great.

Hey guys,

What is the best modem that you guys are using? Notices there isn't a tread comparing it so I guess I'll just continue the discussion here. So far, the FC15 is working okay since I installed it yesterday. GPS locks in quite fast. But it still feels quite unstable. Any thoughts on the new ones?

i tried out every modem an the best one i have is fb 27 all of fco7 and up was giving me los very bad

Foulwx

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I've been running FC22 for several days now with no problems. I really doubt if there has been much difference in the modems since EL29. They've mostly been fine although some show erratic strength. That may not really been indicative of actual signal strength however.

Android32

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
For me, I saw a change when fc18 came out. I could get a signal where I never could. I live in the woods away from civilization. Lol. Sprint hasn't done any work in a while here... (middle of nowhere Mississippi) I'm on FC22 now.. Tried fc24 for 24 hours and I swear my battery was going faster. Staying on FC22 for now. I believe the ics modems are slightly better than gb. For me this seems so.. There could be some chance that something has changed with Sprint or the towers I roam off. I stay on roam about 90% of the time where I'm at. Anyway that's my thoughts on modems.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Im running FC24 with stock rooted EL29 ROM and Kernel and it seems to be doing well for me battery wise.
I dont think we will see a whole lot of data improvements until Network Vision is completed or at least launched. Im in Dallas, TX, one of the first launch cities and hoping data speeds on 3G will improve and stay improved once NV goes live.

I think a lot of people who flash these modems and see a placebo increase or decrease due to traffic loading on the tower around them.

I have been flashing these modems with my stock EL29 set up sonce FC07 came out. I would see sporatic improvements but also the occasional tower that was over loaded and gave me horrible data speeds. While i do think they are more energy efficient and have fixed GPS issues with older modems, i think we wont see the full capabilities of these new modems untill network vision is rolled out. Combine that with the fact that maybe there are some tweaks in the kernel for 4.0.3 that lets these modems run better then say 2.3.6.. Thats another thought also, maybe the people who are seeing a big improvement with FC24 also are on 4.0.3 or something and the kernel is helping. Just my guess though.
Im happy enough with my set up to allow me to wait for the official ICS drop before i wipe my phone and install ICS from scratch and install my apps one by one.

Last edited:

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Good point, I think FC18 or FC22 didnt work well for me. I had some signal issues as well as battery issues after that.
I think FC15 was the best for me, and seems FC24 is also working well on my device.
Im glad to see Samsung working on updates for our device.
I was disappointed in them with the way they handled updates on the Epic 4G. If it wasnt for ACS Frozen 1.2 or what ever that ROM was i would have not been happy with Samsung at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member