GPS is horrible!!

Hvacmanjc

May 22, 2012
Visit site
I know this has been an issue that was addressed, but has anyone found a workaround for the poor gps on the S2? I have downloaded Gps Fix (I think its called). My weatherbug shows that I am roughly like 70 miles away. Its 10:13 p.m. right now and I was in that area at 12 p.m. today. Its horrible. I switched from a Motorola Photon....Did I make a mistake by doing so? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Hvacmanjc,

I've had some spotty issues with my GPS as well. My home screen widget will say I'm an hour away (at work) for quite awhile, even with a manual refresh. At times it just tells me I'm in New Jersey (even though i know it is capable of naming the town I live in). This is one of those things that frustrated me, but not enough to swap out the device (launch day purchase).

In terms of making a mistake with the Photon, I performed a similar transaction. I thought the Photon was a great phone as well, but something never really made me love it. Aside from the GPS and better call quality, I liked some of the Epic 4G Touch features much better (power management was a huge plus for me). I also preferred the slimmer profile. Either way both are great and would do anything you need so its more personal preference at that point.

Reactions: Hvacmanjc

Hvacmanjc

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully ICS will help with numerous issues. It is a great phone but kind od miss the Moto UI.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issues when they updated to EL29, my location services were horrible, Im now rooted on the Blu Kuban ICS FF18 ROM and while gps is still a bit wonky, my location services are 10x better, Im sure ICS will make things much better for you guys

DEF3NDER

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
So both of your guys's issues are regarding weather Widgets?? What about when you use your GPS to navigate? Does it work properly then? How about Google maps?

Hvacmanjc

May 22, 2012
Visit site
It seems like it takes a few extra seconds to acquire a good lock with Google Maps but it does work (locks in like 20-30 seconds, I guess that's normal). Weatherbug has shown me like 30 miles away pretty much all day. Not sure what's up with that. My Photon constantly kept my current position. Seemed like it was very accurate with the "Follow Me" setting, but not the S2.

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
This is just one of the reasons i left for the S3.

S3 locks in seconds, it makes you wonder why they didnt use that chip in the S2.

Hvacmanjc

May 22, 2012
Visit site
I wish I was a bit more comfortable rooting my phone and downloading your fix. I can fix any air conditioning units and solve any issues but cell phones are just not my thing. I bricked my Nexus S 4G and have been nervous ever since.:eek:

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I wish I was a bit more comfortable rooting my phone and downloading your fix. I can fix any air conditioning units and solve any issues but cell phones are just not my thing. I bricked my Nexus S 4G and have been nervous ever since.:eek:

Do be scared. its super easy.

Sent From A Rotary Phone

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Yea, outside of a simple root, there isn't much I really want to do. When I had my Pre I was into the whole tweaks and homebrew stuff. With Android, I've been fairly happy. The only reason I'm ever going to root this phone is to swap out APK+Data info when I pick up my GS3 (26 days, not that I'm counting). Just a handful of games for me and my wife (she is getting the E4GT as noted in another post of mine).

To answer a previous question, much like Hvacmanjc, I get a pretty stable lock in Google Maps in a fairly short amount of time. Any other location based service and I run into issues. recognize its not hardware (since the maps are quick enough), but some software stuff.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site

ha! if I can do it with no issues then Im sure anyone can, just read read read before doing something you cant undo, I used to be so against rooting until I got tired of waiting for ICS to come, I couldnt be happier since rooting. you can do what I did to start and follow qbking77's odin el29 root, then flash the latest leaked ICS which is FF18, real simple and will be pretty much factory like

Reactions: Hvacmanjc

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty