I received multiple NWS Weather Text Alerts (WEA Alerts) today, accompanied by a "siren" notification sound that I could not adjust. The alerts were for "Flash Flood Warnings" in the area. Now, I am really glad I received these alerts because I probably would just drive into a raging torrent spilling across the road without them... I had not signed up for any such "service."
    Anyway, I did a bit of research and found that NWS has contracted with the carriers to "provide" this service (I am on Sprint.) I searched the FAQ's and, no surprise, needed to contact the carrier to disable. No surprise again, nobody at Sprint knew what I was talking about so I spent 55 minutes explaining my situation like a lunatic and educating them to Google "NWS Weather Alert Text." Finally, after the umpteenth hold, I found the solution I sought...the code to disable this obnoxious and intrusive feature.
    To disable WEA Alerts (all except Presidential Alerts which cannot be disabled,) do the following for the Epic 4g Touch:

##2627#
    Uncheck "Enable Emergency Alerts".
    Problem solved.
    07-18-2012 08:50 PM
    Thanks, I did not know these were because the NWS has contracted with the carriers. I got a couple of these a few days ago because we were having some rain and I thought it was because of a weather widget I installed. Now at least I know how to turn them off if they get too intrusive!
    07-18-2012 08:56 PM
    Thanks for this, and I'm sure this is a stupid question but where do I input the code?
    07-18-2012 09:17 PM
    Open the phone app.

It didn't do anything when I input that code.
    07-18-2012 09:24 PM
    Open the phone app.

It didn't do anything when I input that code.
    That's what I tried and it did nothing at all
    07-18-2012 10:31 PM
    Omg i thought i was the only one getting these messages. Hey i know its off subject but i also get messages with a bunch of letters and numbers does anyone know wat that is all about and how to cut that off?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
    07-18-2012 10:32 PM
    I got one of this here in Arizona, we have some crazy flash floods sometimes and I about a brick when it went off in my pocket, thought it was an air raid, soooo loud!
    07-20-2012 11:44 PM
    Open Messaging and in settings, you can disable the notifications. I didn't mind the texts as much as the blaring alert, but there doesn't seem to be a way to change the alert ring. So off it is.
    07-21-2012 07:14 AM
    Lol yeah. Scared the hell out of me one day. I'm gonna keep the alerts though. It will be nice to have a heads up if its 3am and a tornado has touched down in my city.

Or aliens....... :what:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
    07-21-2012 08:57 AM
    I had 3 go off in a row from these recent Haboobs in AZ. It's nice to have them because these storms roll in so quick.
    07-23-2012 08:25 PM
    You're close. The NWS did not contract the carriers, the carriers were required by the FCC to have this.
    07-23-2012 08:46 PM
    So i did what you said....I opened my messenger , went to settings and removed check mark for Emergency Alerts....and I am still receiving these annoying text...they are driving me crazy every two minutes, I think I have gotten at least 15-20 text in the last 10 mins. Can someone please help.
    09-07-2012 04:37 PM
    Open message app, hit menu, hit settings, then emergency alerts and uncheck the boxes. All can be unchecked except presidential alerts.
    09-07-2012 09:03 PM
    Thank you I recieve between 10-30 sms alerts a day sometimes in Tucson, AZ hours after monsoon storms have passed pretty annoying. ##2627# allowed me to disable all alerts including Presidential, Severe, extreme weather, amber, and test alerts on Rooted SPH-D710.
    08-11-2013 08:57 PM
    This actually works
    messages - setting- and uncheck at the bottom
    08-25-2013 07:10 PM
    Open Messaging and in settings, you can disable the notifications. I didn't mind the texts as much as the blaring alert, but there doesn't seem to be a way to change the alert ring. So off it is.
    08-25-2013 07:11 PM
    The first time this happened I was in an FB Messenger conversation with someone and we both said at the same time... "WTF" I actually thought my phone had been taken control of for use in an alien botnet. It was quite unsettling to the point that I didn't even pay attention to what it said on the screen I just wanted to stop the damn siren. No offense, but there are much more elegant ways to go about this, than scaring the living crap out of me. I'm glad I wasn't walking over a drain for fear that I'd have dropped my phone down into it out of sheer surprise and terror when this thing rolled in.
    09-19-2013 12:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD