Obnoxious NWS Alert Texts

flunkn

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I received multiple NWS Weather Text Alerts (WEA Alerts) today, accompanied by a "siren" notification sound that I could not adjust. The alerts were for "Flash Flood Warnings" in the area. Now, I am really glad I received these alerts because I probably would just drive into a raging torrent spilling across the road without them...:D I had not signed up for any such "service."
Anyway, I did a bit of research and found that NWS has contracted with the carriers to "provide" this service (I am on Sprint.) I searched the FAQ's and, no surprise, needed to contact the carrier to disable. No surprise again, nobody at Sprint knew what I was talking about so I spent 55 minutes explaining my situation like a lunatic and educating them to Google "NWS Weather Alert Text." Finally, after the umpteenth hold, I found the solution I sought...the code to disable this obnoxious and intrusive feature.
To disable WEA Alerts (all except Presidential Alerts which cannot be disabled,) do the following for the Epic 4g Touch:

##2627#
Uncheck "Enable Emergency Alerts".
Problem solved.

vidroid

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I did not know these were because the NWS has contracted with the carriers. I got a couple of these a few days ago because we were having some rain and I thought it was because of a weather widget I installed. Now at least I know how to turn them off if they get too intrusive!

smurfette8202

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Omg i thought i was the only one getting these messages. Hey i know its off subject but i also get messages with a bunch of letters and numbers does anyone know wat that is all about and how to cut that off?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

rrollar

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I got one of this here in Arizona, we have some crazy flash floods sometimes and I about a brick when it went off in my pocket, thought it was an air raid, soooo loud!

DEF3NDER

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Lol yeah. Scared the hell out of me one day. I'm gonna keep the alerts though. It will be nice to have a heads up if its 3am and a tornado has touched down in my city.

Or aliens....... :what:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

dreamkeys

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
So i did what you said....I opened my messenger , went to settings and removed check mark for Emergency Alerts....and I am still receiving these annoying text...they are driving me crazy every two minutes, I think I have gotten at least 15-20 text in the last 10 mins. Can someone please help.:(

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Open message app, hit menu, hit settings, then emergency alerts and uncheck the boxes. All can be unchecked except presidential alerts.

bpeterson11

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Thank you I recieve between 10-30 sms alerts a day sometimes in Tucson, AZ hours after monsoon storms have passed pretty annoying. ##2627# allowed me to disable all alerts including Presidential, Severe, extreme weather, amber, and test alerts on Rooted SPH-D710.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
The first time this happened I was in an FB Messenger conversation with someone and we both said at the same time... "WTF" I actually thought my phone had been taken control of for use in an alien botnet. It was quite unsettling to the point that I didn't even pay attention to what it said on the screen I just wanted to stop the damn siren. No offense, but there are much more elegant ways to go about this, than scaring the living crap out of me. I'm glad I wasn't walking over a drain for fear that I'd have dropped my phone down into it out of sheer surprise and terror when this thing rolled in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress