HTC EVO 3D vs Samsung Galaxy S2 (Samsung Within)

HTC EVO 3D vs Samsung Within (Galaxy S2)

• Total voters

dkotoric

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
here is a benchmark of the 3d I did for whatever it matters.

evo3dbench.jpg

well damn my nexus s 4g got more then then when I had it.

bgrushin

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
That seems very low, all of the reviews I read about the e3d had scroes inthe 2000s, still significantly less than sgs2 but not this low. I've also read about these programs having issues with the new snapdragon architecture and dual cores in general. As for the within, I'm pretty sure sprint will stick in a wimax radio like they did with the epic, this is a beast of a phone and they wouldn't let it be a non premium phone. I'm with the rest of you on not wanting a keyboard, there's just no reason for them any more, and this comes from a person on a blackberry tour 9630! I was set on the evo3d but after the reviews I've been reading i'm a bit dissappointed, would really like a release date, I'm really hoping the July 24th rumor will turn out but I'm highly sceptical, esp since it hasn't been a year that the epic has been out, tho since it hasn't sold very well maybe they'll try to get rid of it faster. I can't take this POS bbry so will prob go with the e3d for now and maybe try to sell it for the sgs2 once it comes out.

rkirmeier

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Honestly with the type of screen this has it really doesn't matter. It has been shown that a less colorful background can result to better battery life, because it's not working that screen as hard to project color and the brightness. Still the difference is so small it really doesn't matter.

It always cracks me up when someone has a detailed explanation for something and yet they are wrong...

Pure white is the most efficient! Screens don't have a light for each pixel! They have a single light and the pixels either turn a color to change the light being emitted though the pixel to display a color or they turn black to "bock" the light from shining through. This is why it has been such a challenge to create high contract ratios on digital displays. Of course screen brightness will make a difference as that is controlling the brightness of the light source...

oversteer325

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
It always cracks me up when someone has a detailed explanation for something and yet they are wrong...

Pure white is the most efficient! Screens don't have a light for each pixel! They have a single light and the pixels either turn a color to change the light being emitted though the pixel to display a color or they turn black to "bock" the light from shining through. This is why it has been such a challenge to create high contract ratios on digital displays. Of course screen brightness will make a difference as that is controlling the brightness of the light source...

An AMOLED screen does not have a backlight, the pixels themselves produce the light. When an AMOLED screen is displaying black, those individual pixels are not producing any light and are effectivley not consuming any power. That is why the black levels on Samsung AMOLED screens are so good.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

Oh the irony...

garrettfarnum

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
EVO 3D reviews are good but mixed with the majority of them saying it suffered from bad call quality. GS2 reviews for the non-US versions have all been great. The GS2 is looking better everyday to me now especially since it's 2D video recording has been officially to a max of 720p.
HTC EVO 3D records HD video at 720p, not 1080p

Well HTC could always do an OTA to add 1080p video recording because really at it's base has a similar camera as the sensation and 5MP can very well handle 1080p video.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Well HTC could always do an OTA to add 1080p video recording because really at it's base has a similar camera as the sensation and 5MP can very well handle 1080p video.

Both the Sensation and EVO 3D have completely different camera sensors. Sensation is running the Omnivision 8MP, while the EVO 3D is a single Omnivision 5MP in 2D, and a second 5MP 3D for dual mode 10MP in 3D.

bklyn

May 8, 2011
Visit site

Hey. When the Galaxy S2 goes to US carriers, I was wondering what do you guys think. The Evo 3d, or the Galaxy S2. Also, know as the Samsung within. Please help!
I think you will get a more objective vote if you post this poll in the Sprint forum. People here are more likely to be biased in favor of the Galaxy while you would probably get a vote in favor of the 3D on its forum.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I think you will get a more objective vote if you post this poll in the Sprint forum. People here are more likely to be biased in favor of the Galaxy while you would probably get a vote in favor of the 3D on its forum.

I don't.. Just because this forum is so new with little traffic, and obviously 30+ users voted for the 3D. Sprint forums won't make much of a difference. The GS2 is a better phone, and if nobody can see that from reviews and comparisons. Well then.... I dunno. EVO 3D is a decent piece of hardware, but nothing super.

May 16, 2011
Visit site
only thing(for me) the evo3d has over sgs2 is sense > touchwiz. However, the samoled+ display on the samsung phones trumps everything. I am eligible for a full upgrade on sprint right now and am holding out for the Within. Heck, even if sprint released identical model to the Charge or Infuse right now i'd probably get it just for the screen.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
only thing(for me) the evo3d has over sgs2 is sense > touchwiz. However, the samoled+ display on the samsung phones trumps everything. I am eligible for a full upgrade on sprint right now and am holding out for the Within. Heck, even if sprint released identical model to the Charge or Infuse right now i'd probably get it just for the screen.

Personally from testing both for awhile, Sense 3.0 is just too bloated and can get slow. Touchwiz 4.0 had a much nicer presentation, and it was miles smoother in all operations. I would of agreed that old Sense>>Touchwiz, but Touchwiz 4.0 is brilliant and works much better and faster then Sense 3.0.