[How-To] [AOSP]Easily Enable Nav Bar

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys, if you've ever seen the nav bar on the nexus line of phones, or in custom aosp ROMs you know what I'm talking about. If not basically what this does is enable onscreen buttons to use in place of your capacitive buttons at the bottom of your phone.

By default they are the back, home, and task manager buttons.

Warning: Always have a backup handy should something go wrong.

Step one: Root your s3, its mandatory.

Step two: Download a root file explorer with a built in text editor.

Step three: Using your root file explorer (after you grant su perms), navigate to the /system directory.

Step four: Look for a text file named build.prop and open it for editing.

Step five: Scroll to the bottom of your build.prop and add these lines

#Softkeys Mod
qemu.hw.mainkeys=0

Then save and exit the file and reboot. You should now have an on screen nav bar.

Its as simple as that. There is already a thread as to how to disable the capacitive buttons functions as well as their backlights, so I won't mention how.

Just search for "how to disable capacitive buttons" or something similar to that and you'll be fine.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Re: [How-To] Easily Enable Nav Bar

I'm glad people who want it have the option, but I'm not sure why I'd want to give up screen real estate for this. On an Oracle experience device, these are context sensitive., right? Will that be true when enabled on an S3?

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

Also aokp and PacMan roms support nav buttons in their settings

And there is also a universal stock keys file floating around

Sent from my Google Nexus 7 running aokp 4.1.2, because there is no PacMan rom for the nexus :(

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

Heard cm10 is going to get the nav bar feature soon, bout time they caught up, lol

Sent from my Game Boy Advance....

Nah I'm just kidding, Sent from my SPH - L710 running Pac Man Rom 4.1.2, seeder and ktweaker kernel

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

Also aokp and PacMan roms support nav buttons in their settings

And there is also a universal stock keys file floating around

Sent from my Google Nexus 7 running aokp 4.1.2, because there is no PacMan rom for the nexus :(

The universal stock key is for an outdated version of the stock rom sadly it is incompatible with the latest lj7 release, trust me I know.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

I'm glad people who want it have the option, but I'm not sure why I'd want to give up screen real estate for this. On an Oracle experience device, these are context sensitive., right? Will that be true when enabled on an S3?

Hmm the keys run throughout every app, for me I would like an option where they automatically disable when you're watching movies/videos or playing games.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

The universal stock key is for an outdated version of the stock rom sadly it is incompatible with the latest lj7 release, trust me I know.

Really? I had mine working fine up till about November, when u switched to a rom in which I no longer needed it

Paterick

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site

I tried to enable the nav bar on the stock rooted jelly bean ROM and it didn't work. Does this only work on AOSP ROMS?

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

I tried to enable the nav bar on the stock rooted jelly bean ROM and it didn't work. Does this only work on AOSP ROMS?

That's what I thought. I was under the impression that it may work on stock but thanks for letting me know that it doesn't, I'll be updating the op.

bp240

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
Just so you guys know, Paranoid Android (the P in the PACman rom) includes it under the settings as well. Its as simple as checking a box. You then have the option for custom colors, additional actions, etc. You can also disable or change functions of the hardware keys, as well as disable the key backlight.
Here are some screenshots to give you guys an idea:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1358529028443.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358529028443.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 16
  • uploadfromtaptalk1358529042246.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358529042246.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 374
  • uploadfromtaptalk1358529056086.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358529056086.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 373
Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Just so you guys know, Paranoid Android (the P in the PACman rom) includes it under the settings as well. Its as simple as checking a box. You then have the option for custom colors, additional actions, etc. You can also disable or change functions of the hardware keys, as well as disable the key backlight.
Here are some screenshots to give you guys an idea:

I used the Aokp nav bar when I was on that ROM

Sublime l anytime the system ui crashed or you rebooted the phone, the nav bar went back to the original white color

But now that I'm on Aokp, it doesn't do that anymore thank God

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Goldeneagle72

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys I'm using this on a Stock modded JB 4.1.2 custom rom, I have the nav bar enabled and it's showing, but is there a way to fix the systemui force close it does when I try to use the function keys on the nav bar?? Any help would be greatly appreciated... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa