Well, cracked my screen. What are my options?

LMychajluk

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Had the phone on my lap with the QMadix snap-on case while sitting at a table at a BBQ last night. It slipped off and fell ~18" onto a concrete floor. Got a small spiderweb crack near the upper right corner, with a hairline crack running the width of the screen, just about where the notification bar is. It's serviceable as is, but it's going to annoy the heck out of me. I just checked, and it looks like I don't have the Protection Plan I thought I had. Can I get it replaced anywhere?

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Been a bit over 2 months. I'm willing to pay if necessary, but can I get an 'Samsung authorized' repair?

No idea - and besides me giving you the lecture about why and how the hell your phone got dropped - I can tell you, we used to be able to add protection as long as the phone was able to make and receive calls. I don't know if that has changed or not, because my phone always has protection. I still shake my head when I hear phones were dropped or broken - what are you people doing with these expensive devices? Tossing them around?? My phones NEVER have screen protectors and are treated like an infant (which I would never DROP!) - I have yet to have a single scratch on the screen let alone a broken screen, it sits in my purse when not attended (I know men don't carry purses) and it's on the table beside me on a silk cushion with a choir of angels singing when I'm at lunch/dinner, etc. I think these beautiful devices are meant for people who are a little more careful with their things! /end lecture

derek5l

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
No idea - and besides me giving you the lecture about why and how the hell your phone got dropped - I can tell you, we used to be able to add protection as long as the phone was able to make and receive calls. I don't know if that has changed or not, because my phone always has protection. I still shake my head when I hear phones were dropped or broken - what are you people doing with these expensive devices? Tossing them around?? My phones NEVER have screen protectors and are treated like an infant (which I would never DROP!) - I have yet to have a single scratch on the screen let alone a broken screen, it sits in my purse when not attended (I know men don't carry purses) and it's on the table beside me on a silk cushion with a choir of angels singing when I'm at lunch/dinner, etc. I think these beautiful devices are meant for people who are a little more careful with their things! /end lecture

Couldn't have said it any better

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
That's interesting... So neither of you have EVER dropped anything (phone or not)? I take care of my phones as well, and have still managed to drop mine. Not often, and without damage, but accidents happen.

The poor OP was asking for help, not a lecture about how your phone is perfect, so why isn't his.

As far as service goes, I know that corporately owned Sprint stores are authorized to service them, although it may end up costing you more than if you were to send it in to Samsung directly.

derek5l

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, I've never broken any high end electronics because I do take necessary precautions with them, like never driving with the phone in my lap, leaving my phone lying near ANY cups of liquid, ensuring I do enough research on cases before I buy them to ensure they can truly protect my $500 investment.. etc...Not trying to lecture anyone, just don't have any suggestions because I keep myself away from those types of situations. Good luck homie.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Sprint will only fix it, if it's a single crack. I think, no more than two inches in length. I took my daughters epic 4g to Celaris in the mall and they replaced it for $120.00.

dad2noah

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Try your local craigslist. May not be an "authorized" repair, but a lot of these places have enough supernerds working in them, you will be in good hands. And I use the term "supernerd" with nothing but the best intentions :)

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes mommy dearest! LOL

Sent From My EVO 4G LTE!

Lol, I know I sounded exactly like I do to my own kids. But there is definitely a hard and fast rule around here, no one TOUCHES MOMMY'S PHONES. My family are the ones who have bought me the spoils to protect my phone. I do treat them with utmost care.

Sent wirelessly VIA Tapatalk.

LMychajluk

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
.... I still shake my head when I hear phones were dropped or broken - what are you people doing with these expensive devices? Tossing them around?? My phones NEVER have screen protectors and are treated like an infant (which I would never DROP!) - I have yet to have a single scratch on the screen let alone a broken screen, it sits in my purse when not attended (I know men don't carry purses) and it's on the table beside me on a silk cushion with a choir of angels singing when I'm at lunch/dinner, etc. I think these beautiful devices are meant for people who are a little more careful with their things! /end lecture

If you read my post, I said exactly what I was doing (sans the part about trying to keep it away from someone's grabby little rugrat that wanted to play with it). I've been carrying a PDA or smartphone since the PalmPilot, and laptops daily since the mid-90's, and have never had to replace one due to damage. I'm careful with my things, but I use them. My phone is a tool that sees use. Ask any photographers whether they leave thier best cameras or lenses safe at home because it might get scratched, and they'll tell you that that they'll never get that once-in-a-lifetime shot with a camera that's at home or safely in it's case. My S3 is not my most precious possession that sits behind glass in some display case, and nwo that it's damaged, I'll deal with it, but get off your high horse, because one day something will happen to yours, too.

@ Skunkape - $120 doesn't sound too bad... Maybe I'll swing by the Sprint store tonight and ask them. I didn't think they would do repairs (only swaps for phones under the protection plan). Thanks.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
If you read my post, I said exactly what I was doing (sans the part about trying to keep it away from someone's grabby little rugrat that wanted to play with it). I've been carrying a PDA or smartphone since the PalmPilot, and laptops daily since the mid-90's, and have never had to replace one due to damage. I'm careful with my things, but I use them. My phone is a tool that sees use. Ask any photographers whether they leave thier best cameras or lenses safe at home because it might get scratched, and they'll tell you that that they'll never get that once-in-a-lifetime shot with a camera that's at home or safely in it's case. My S3 is not my most precious possession that sits behind glass in some display case, and nwo that it's damaged, I'll deal with it, but get off your high horse, because one day something will happen to yours, too.

@ Skunkape - $120 doesn't sound too bad... Maybe I'll swing by the Sprint store tonight and ask them. I didn't think they would do repairs (only swaps for phones under the protection plan). Thanks.

If it has more than a single crack, they won't touch it.

LMychajluk

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Well, went to Sprint store last night. Drove past 4-5 independent stores to get to the corporate store in my area (NJ), only to be told that they don't do repairs, but maybe the independantly-owned stores do. Now that I think about it, they never even asked if I was on the Protection Plan or not...

Also called Samsung. They'll fix it for $180 (seems a bit steep), but claim a 5-7 day turnaround (not incl. shipping).

As for Sprint's TEP, looking at Sprint's website, besides the monthly fee, there's currently a $150 deductible for the S3 on top of the $11/mo TEP. Glad I opted out. The money I've saved since switching to Sprint by not paying for the TEP more than covers an occasional repair or replacement.

I can't see the video linked above from here at work, but if it's a guy replacing the screen, I'll need to check it out. Amazon has a replacement glass for $24.

Edit - Well, I was finally able to watch the video. In the comments of the video posted above. In the video's comments, the guy has a link to another video showing why you can't just change the glass for $20. The Samsung repair is looking like the better option at this point (not much more than the part needed). Now I just have to get my hands on a phone to use for 2 weeks while Samsung has it...

Last edited:

hoovhartid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
They'll fix it for $180 (seems a bit steep),
As for Sprint's TEP, there's currently a $150 deductible for the S3 on top of the $11/mo TEP. Glad I opted out.
This is a good point, and good information. Thank you. I'm glad I opted out as well. I debated buying a protection plan and viewed various ones. In the end I decided that I would take my chances. i think its money well saved, and like you, i am willing to deal with the problem if ever I need to. I just didn't see the point in prepaying for something i hope and try to never use.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
This is a good point, and good information. Thank you. I'm glad I opted out as well. I debated buying a protection plan and viewed various ones. In the end I decided that I would take my chances. i think its money well saved, and like you, i am willing to deal with the problem if ever I need to. I just didn't see the point in prepaying for something i hope and try to never use.

I on the other hand I find the insurance not only useful but a requirement. In two years I've replaced 6 phones due to damage. So that would be roughly $3000 worth of gs3's. The insurance will pay for it's self.

LMychajluk

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I on the other hand I find the insurance not only useful but a requirement. In two years I've replaced 6 phones due to damage. So that would be roughly $3000 worth of gs3's. The insurance will pay for it's self.

With that record, I'm surprised you're not blacklisted. ;)

jinxed2day

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Dear end of lecture. Someone should drop you on your face and crack yiur holier than thou attifude. .accidents happen a lot ! I have a heart co dition and black out . And you guesd it dropped it and broke it thre:-X days after getting it and I want to cry. Its. Ery special to me but poi t hsooens help or stfu