random laughing sound occuring

plutoplanet

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I have been looking for an answer for this online and in the forum and have not seen anything. I am hoping somebody knows the answer. This is what's happening:

Beginning last night I started noticing a quick laughing sound randomly occurring. It sounds like a male voice and is a simple ha,ha,ha. There is no notification that comes with it that shows up in status bar. I have checked running apps and don't see anything that would be causing this. I checked all of my settings and sound and there is nothing set to this sound. I don't have any notifications saved on my phone that make this sound. I haven't downloaded any recent new apps that I would think would make the sound. The most recent app I downloaded was eBay. The samsung apps did update last night. That is the only change on my phone that I know of since I first heard it.

It does seem to only happen when I'm actually using the phone. But it doesn't seem to happen for any one application. It happens sometimes when I'm texting. Or maybe just surfing the net. Again its random. It does only happen when the sound is actually on as far as I can tell. I sure hope so, because I can't have this happening when its on vibrate when I'm in meetings and stuff at work.

And no this isn't something I'm just hearing in my head...lol. But, when it first happened last night it did freak me out!

If anybody knows what this is I was certainly appreciate somebody pointing in the right direction to get rid of it. And if it makes a difference I did receive 4.3 earlier this week. My phone was probably on vibrate 99 percent of the time since the update took place.

Posted via Android Central App

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
It could be malware such as a game (I had over the summer a couple of games install without any permission I gave), but it's hard to know.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

plutoplanet

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
It could be malware such as a game (I had over the summer a couple of games install without any permission I gave), but it's hard to know.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

I don't have the allow unknown sources option checked for app installation, and I don't see any new apps other than the new samsung apps. I did run Norton malware scan today fwiw.

plutoplanet

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I do see an app in app listed under all apps called "self service". It has a lot of permissions including directly call phone numbers and receive and send SMS messages.

It doesn't have an uninstall function and doesn't show up in my downloaded apps. I selected force stop. The turn off function is grayed out.

Does anybody else have this app? I couldn't find out anything about it doing a Google search. It is version SZ_5.1.00

HamRadioNut

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't mean this in a funny way but my phone has this Self Service app in the ALL folder as well but my phone is not laughing at me.

Just FYI on this app

- - - Updated - - -

It's a gray square with a Hammer, Screwdriver and a wrench in it....

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
As far as I'm aware my phones haven't laughed at me either. Should they and them and I would have to have a serious discussion.

plutoplanet

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't mean this in a funny way but my phone has this Self Service app in the ALL folder as well but my phone is not laughing at me.

Just FYI on this app

- - - Updated - - -

It's a gray square with a Hammer, Screwdriver and a wrench in it....

Yes, that is the app. I think it is part of Sprint Zone, and that would explain the version naming beginning with SZ.

So, I still don't know what causes the laughing sound. I know it probably seems funny... I guess it could be randomly making worse sounds for no apparent reason, so at least its just a "ha,ha,ha".

Anyways, there must be a reason it's happening, so hopefully somebody has an idea on the fix.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Yes, that is the app. I think it is part of Sprint Zone, and that would explain the version naming beginning with SZ.

So, I still don't know what causes the laughing sound. I know it probably seems funny... I guess it could be randomly making worse sounds for no apparent reason, so at least its just a "ha,ha,ha".

Anyways, there must be a reason it's happening, so hopefully somebody has an idea on the fix.

If no other solution is found you could take it into a Sprint store. They may be familiar with it.

youngusaplaya

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
similar to this issue my mom received the update on her phone so your in luck it's not just you and it's not malware, except in her case there is random music playing the same song each time though I have tried to find an app open when this happens to no avail so this has to be a system issue not so widespread though

Posted via LG G2

Neonwolf2939

Jul 29, 2018
Visit site
I have the exact same problem. I googled it and found this forum. Although, what's different is that my phone was on silent this last time I heard the laughing, and my phone hasn't been updated for a long time cause I'm too lazy to wait for it to install.

Mine also only happens while I'm using the phone, but I do have another audio issue that hasn't been solved where my phone's volume randomly goes down while watching a video on youtube, but the volume bar still works and doesn't move with the audio change, just the general sound goes down and goes back to normal later. Could just be youtube because I don't listen to music or watch videos anywhere else to test it out and it does that wether I have wireless or normal earbuds.

I don't think the laughing happens when I have earbuds in, but maybe it just hasn't yet and is possible. I think it could just be an audio issue because of phone damage. My phone is completely unbroken on the outside, but towards the beginning of the year I did drop my phone in water, and had to put it in rice to get it to work again, but I've been using it since without any problems until these two audio issues awhile later. I think the volume problem started after my phone jolted onto the floor in a car.

I just heard the noise again while writing this and it was a female voice like an advertisement instead of the male laughter, even though there's no ads around and it's always a short sound about 1-2 seconds long. It's really loud usually too. My phone is on silent.

bzl

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I just experienced this as well! Kind of creepy.. if something has access to the speakers, they sure as anything has access to the other IO devices as well! Interesting..

Too lazy to reset though.. let the chinese spies have their fun.

NotLaughingNow

Dec 5, 2020
Visit site
So yesterday I downloaded an app called SpecTrek. It's a Pokemon go type game but with ghosts. I didn't start the app till this morning and just a bit ago it did the laugh noise. I deleted that app and have not heard the laugh again. I'll repost if it happens again 😃

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress