Galaxy S3 won't charge

sure why not

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Another option will be to replace the logic board, I did it on mine. You can replace it yourself not hard to do. I had it done for 75$, but you canbuy a board on ebay fo 40$.
You can have a new charging port soldered into your phone for $25.
I don't understand why you paid 3x as much to get the whole logic board swapped out.
A dab of epoxy on each side will hold it much better than just the solder pads alone.

sure why not

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: A fix that worked

im trying doing this, but i dont kno exactly where to put the pin
You need to take the battery out of the phone first and then use the pin to gently clean out the compacted lint/grit in the bottom of the charging port.
Be careful you don't bend or short the pins in the socket.

Herduc

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Sure why not, I replaced the board because I broke it in a bike fall. But your option seems good If the problem resides on the connection port only.

sure why not

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I didn't realize your board was broken!

I replaced the board in my wife's Note2 because it is only the charge port and mic.
I also modified her battery tray to accept Qi wireless charging.
Hopefully this will prolong the life of her USB port.

outahere

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site

Tom Caddick you're a rock star!! I haven't been able to charge my phone for two days and thanks to you it took 30 seconds to use your pin trick to fix it. THANK YOU!!

madisonzgirl

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
My 2-month-old S3 gradually stopped charging, until it wouldn't charge at all. I checked the Sprint forums first and found lots of angry people; apparently the S3 has an issue with charging ports breaking. The Sprint store rep confirmed this, saying that only the S3 has this problem. They said I had to take it to another Sprint store for repair. That second store quickly ordered me a new phone. I can't believe I never read about this flaw when I was researching the phone before buying it. If you get a charge indication when you move the charger around a little when you plug it into the phone, it's probably the port. Just don't wiggle it around for days trying to get enough charge to get you by, you'll ruin your chargers too. Take it in and demand a new one.
Ok so i could just bring my phone in and tell them its not charging and i will get a new phone?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
Ok so i could just bring my phone in and tell them its not charging and i will get a new phone?
I wouldn't count on that, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Julieandjulia2

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Thank you so much! My 5 and 6 year old use my tablet from time to time and those little hands aren't the most gentle. I appreciate your tips - followed them and now it's charging! Thank you again.

MissImmortal

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site

Hi everyone,

I had a very similar problem that is being discussed and followed most of the tips but without success.. (new adapter, battery, charge point etc etc)

I have now identified the problem and thought I would share..

1) get a pin
2) go under a strong light with your phone
3) clear all debris from the charge socket on the phone
4) using a pin place it inside the charge point and below what appears to be the connection point ( there is a small chip set looking thing inside the socket)
5) gently raise it with the pin by applying some pressure so that the connection point raises up slightly
6) connect and job done it should charge normally.

I think by using the chargers aggressively it bends the connection point within the socket and this causes the problem

if you have any questions I am happy to help as it was soooo frustrating and I want to help others before they spend money on fixes that probably wont work

DO NOT DO THIS!!! It will break your charger completely

sure why not

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site

DO NOT DO THIS!!! It will break your charger completely
What are you getting on about?

This has nothing to do with the charger.
It is merely clearing pocket lint from the usb port of the phone itself.

It is the answer for MANY people in this thread.
I use a silicone plug in the port and Qi wireless charging.
The last time I plugged anything into my phone, it was to do a mirror to my PC.

Shawna Townsend

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem and I've tried several different USB cables. My phone is only recognizing the one that originally came with it. But the cord is bent and I can't get it to charge on any other charger.

highaltitudes

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
I know this thread is ancient BUT this problem is still happening to people all the time. I bought a pack of 5 charge ports for the S3 on Ebay for $6.99 which is more than I'll ever need but I have extras in case. About 2 minutes to pop the case off and use a jeweler or small electronic screwdriver and you'll have a new port installed. Junk technology by Samsung but the end is near for this idiocy, the wireless charging is now the norm.

Sequinn

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Thank you so much Tom for this tip. Had tried everything with my S3, new cables, batteries, type of charger to no avail. My phone completely died last night and I was thinking new phone. Tried your tip with the pin. When I looked at the charge point I could see the charging chip thingy was flattened against the socket. I did as you suggested and raised it a bit with the pin and hey presto phone charging. Your a star,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez