Rooting question...

Eazy123

Jun 14, 2010
www.grafxone.com
I just got my NS4G and I love the experience of vanilla Android. There are only two things I want and that's the Voodoo sound experience and the BLN notifications. Is there any way I can get these without changing the rest of my vanilla experience? Unless I'm wrong, it seems to me like rooting and flashing a new rom changes the entire look - icons and everything. I don't need that stuff, no new boot animation or any of that, just BLN and Voodoo sound. But I've never rooted before so maybe I'm just lost. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I just got my NS4G and I love the experience of vanilla Android. There are only two things I want and that's the Voodoo sound experience and the BLN notifications. Is there any way I can get these without changing the rest of my vanilla experience? Unless I'm wrong, it seems to me like rooting and flashing a new rom changes the entire look - icons and everything. I don't need that stuff, no new boot animation or any of that, just BLN and Voodoo sound. But I've never rooted before so maybe I'm just lost. Any help is appreciated, thank you.
You can do just what you want and I believe still run stock OS.
[INFO]
1. Root the device as described here [How-To] Unlock, Install SU, Custom Recovery

2. Then flash a custom Kernels

3. Then you can download BLN from the Market and also the Voodoo app. Just double check the kernel to make sure it supports Voodoo but I think they all do now.
[/INFO]

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
My suggestion is to simply root and install GPA17.

It retains the stock look and works with BLN and Voodoo.

GPA is awesome. Looks and acts exactly like stock, but quicker, stable, with enhanced functionality and has an overclock utility built right it (I used it to underclock to 800mhz to conserve battery live with zero perceivable performance hit).

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thank you, I will try this tonight. But don't I have to flash a ROM AND a kernel?
No you don't have to flash a ROM.. Just the kernel as I suggested.

Plus with this setup you SHOULD, not 100% here but SHOULD recieve updates from Google since your not changing the stock OS. Only reason I'm not sure on this is since you have the bootloader unlocked it may stop you from getting updates.

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
No you don't have to flash a ROM.. Just the kernel as I suggested.

Plus with this setup you SHOULD, not 100% here but SHOULD recieve updates from Google since your not changing the stock OS. Only reason I'm not sure on this is since you have the bootloader unlocked it may stop you from getting updates.

I was thinking the same thing but you will get notices for ota even if bootloader is unlocked. I figured that out couple nights ago.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking the same thing but you will get notices for ota even if bootloader is unlocked. I figured that out couple nights ago.
Well then that resolves that question. Thanks beezy...

I guess as long as you stay on stock OS, and just root/w kernel you should be fine. 3rd party apps (even root required apps) will not affect things.

Eazy123

Jun 14, 2010
www.grafxone.com
Well then that resolves that question. Thanks beezy...

I guess as long as you stay on stock OS, and just root/w kernel you should be fine. 3rd party apps (even root required apps) will not affect things.
Thanks, guys. So if I stay on stock OS and root with kernel, it's SAFE to accept OTA updates?

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, guys. So if I stay on stock OS and root with kernel, it's SAFE to accept OTA updates?

Yep the worst that will happen is you might have to apply root again,but this is not a big deal because we don't have to worry about them patching a exploit like other phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress