So sad - have to give up CM10 and go back to CM9, my phone can't handle it :(

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I was really excited when CM10 finally hit stable for the NS4G but it appears that my phone just can't handle it. It's very unstable, laggy and the battery runs down faster than before.

* A number of things don't work (sometimes they start re-working after restart) like auto-rotate and for some reason the google voice widget always becomes empty when I return to the home screen (this never happened with CM9)

* Apps seem to force quit a lot (Camera, Exchange, FF, Maps have all force quit on me numerous times) - this never happend with CM9

* The OS as a whole has been running very laggy, especially when returning to the home page which can take 2-3 seconds and then it takes a while longer for widgets and icons to start showing up

* With no more "deep idle" option, my battery runs down very quickly when the screen is off.

* Voice search/command is reeeaaaallllly slow. Even regular search from the bar at the top is slow as it tries to load google now

I am sad because otherwise JB and CM10 are amazing. i really like the expanded notifications a lot but it looks like my NS4G just can't make it past ICS. I really dislike not being on the latest Android.

Is anyone else experiencing the same thing?

(FYI, I did wipe data/cache before installing in CWM)

Hellmark

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I am in the same boat. Battery life sucks. Random bouts of lag.
I don't use Google search app because it is so slow. Even with Google Now disabled, it is super slow and prone to timing out. Same search done in the browser goes much faster.

Mr.Sweet54

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I would switch over to the AOKP 4.1.2 for Nexus S 4g. I haven't used CM10, nor CM9 in a long time and I will not look back on that. Also you can try to overclock your phone as well, mine can handle up to 1.4ghz without restarting, I know some can only handle a very limited on.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I would switch over to the AOKP 4.1.2 for Nexus S 4g. I haven't used CM10, nor CM9 in a long time and I will not look back on that. Also you can try to overclock your phone as well, mine can handle up to 1.4ghz without restarting, I know some can only handle a very limited on.
what's the battery life like when is overlooked that much?

Mr.Sweet54

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
My battery life is about 8-9 hours. I normally keep it charged through out the day. Also, if you overclock you can undervolt your cpu so it isn't using as much battery. I would look at all the other roms out there for the Nexus. CM10 just seems to be getting to bloated for my tastes. (Yes some roms even have the extra features that Cm10 has)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
CM10 just seems to be getting to bloated for my tastes.
CM has always been a little bloated when it comes to battery life. While they are recognized for bringing some great work to us they haven't always been the best choice for battery life. I have moved back into the AOKP builds, yes they are way over bloated with extras but using the right kernel it seems to work out right. I know on my Sprint GNex AOKP Milestone 1 build (JB) comes packed with the Lean Kernel which is awesome on battery.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
CM has always been a little bloated when it comes to battery life. While they are recognized for bringing some great work to us they haven't always been the best choice for battery life. I have moved back into the AOKP builds, yes they are way over bloated with extras but using the right kernel it seems to work out right. I know on my Sprint GNex AOKP Milestone 1 build (JB) comes packed with the Lean Kernel which is awesome on battery.

Thanks. Can you point me to the right place to download AOKP for the NS4G? When I search on google, the links that come up, Google says are unsafe and house malware.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. Can you point me to the right place to download AOKP for the NS4G? When I search on google, the links that come up, Google says are unsafe and house malware.

Yes their website was hacked or something a week ago so things are all messed up there. You can download Goo Manager from the Google Play Store and then download AOKP and many other popular ROMs directly that are supported for the NS4G. Don't worry about the AOKP ROM, its safe to use they had some issue at their own website but nothing ROM related was hacked or whatever.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Yes their website was hacked or something a week ago so things are all messed up there. You can download Goo Manager from the Google Play Store and then download AOKP and many other popular ROMs directly that are supported for the NS4G. Don't worry about the AOKP ROM, its safe to use they had some issue at their own website but nothing ROM related was hacked or whatever.

Thanks! I'd never heard of goo manager before.

How do I know which AOKP to download? Are milestones more stable than builds?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! I'd never heard of goo manager before.

How do I know which AOKP to download? Are milestones more stable than builds?
Once you load up Goo Manager on your device you will have option to view all compatible ROMs available for your device. From there it will be broken down into sub category folders "AOKP, CM, etc. etc. " whatever compatible ROMs are made available for your device.

AOKP will be easy enough to figure out.. Build 5 was the most recent "nightly" or "monthly" build however you would like to explain it. The Milestone 1 is the most current JB based build that has all the latest at time of build JB updates and included the 4.2 GAPPS and other goodies like the 4.2 Camera, Gallery, etc... In short the "BUILDs" are very stable but may have a quirk or two in them, the Milestone build is usually very stable and well tested. Personally I've ran both the individual builds and the milestones and AOKP has done an awesome job making both version rock solid with only a rare occasional bug popping up.

Over all Goo Manager is a wonderful app to have if your a ROM flasher. It will update you whenever a new ROM or GAPPS package is available for your device to.