suggestions

gmleonar#AC

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
ok so i am new to these forums, and would like to get some suggestions about the NS4G... what r the benefits of unlocking? is it difficult? any useful apps i should kno of? i am coming from the palm pre which i absolutely loved, but with no news on the horizon of a new device from HP on sprint, the NS4G seems like a great phone to go to for the time being. thanks for the input, i appreciate it, and im looking forward to my new phone!

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I haven't unlocked mine yet but there is a thread somewhere on here for pre users coming to this phone .

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

gramamoose

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm a Pre convert!!!
I still have it and my son has a Pixi. Can't say I miss it.

And I just rooted my NS4G.
There was only two reasons why I wanted to do so:
1. being able to tether 4G vs just 3G
2. screen captures

It was easy enough however I would highly recommend doing it sooner rather than later. Why? Because it erases all your info and you have to start all over setting your phone up just how you like it. That was the only draw back and time consuming process of the whole thing. Worth it though!!!
Screen Capture It is one of the best and fun apps I've used; in case you are wondering!

I have yet to feel a signal strength issue but Sprint is going to make it even better tomorrow.

Oh, I highly recommend Auto Memory Manager! My phone runs smooth and doesn't lock up at all since I've installed it. No need for any app killer because of it.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I myself havent seen the need to root my nexus as of yet. But only time will tell. I want to see how this update tomorrow is going to go.

trickyhero

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Me too. I'm not going mg to root for at least a year. This is my first android phone and I don't want to mess it up. And yes I did haack my old pre. But it didn't seem to be as easy as the pre.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I myself havent seen the need to root my nexus as of yet. But only time will tell. I want to see how this update tomorrow is going to go.

I haven't really needed to root because I'm not using any apps that need root; nor, have I had the need to. Also, I don't think I'm gonna flash any custom roms or kernels. Most roms from other phones just added some alright features and mostly made other phones vanilla like this one is already.

The only thing I could think of doing is flashing an overclock kernel. But, I did that with my epic and didn't really see that big of an improvement. Now that I think about it switching to the ext4 file system on the epic made the biggest improvement I could see.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I haven't really needed to root because I'm not using any apps that need root; nor, have I had the need to. Also, I don't think I'm gonna flash any custom roms or kernels. Most roms from other phones just added some alright features and mostly made other phones vanilla like this one is already.

The only thing I could think of doing is flashing an overclock kernel. But, I did that with my epic and didn't really see that big of an improvement. Now that I think about it switching to the ext4 file system on the epic made the biggest improvement I could see.

The only reason i would and kinda want to root for is the be able to do screen shots. But the urge for that is minimal and for the most part a non factor in my desicion.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
The only reason i would and kinda want to root for is the be able to do screen shots. But the urge for that is minimal and for the most part a non factor in my desicion.

I only started taking screen shots on my epic as an after effect of rooting for other things.

The only things I could see myself rooting for:

1*- Tethering. (If tethering is ever removed from the Nexus as is; for "emergencies" as I barely need to use a device other than my phone that needs internet from outside the home; or, wifi hotspot. Seriously, where am I using my laptop? The woods? I'm either at home; or, at a place that has Optimum wifi I can connect to).

1- Roam Control. As sometimes I'm in places where I can't get signal at all. But just enough to not kick in roaming; or, lose connection to whomever I'm roaming to. (Again in emergencies cause it's rare that I'm stuck in a place I can't get signal. My home now has an airave and the only other house I'm in with no service has wifi and a landline, lol).
1a- Then there after I would obviously take screen shots.
1b- Terminal emulator. As I use to use this on the Epic to fix rotation lag; and, just for fun I use to use it to unzip files instead of having a second app installed. But you need root to unzip files with it.

2- Back up app. Which was very useful when I had my epic rooted and was flashing roms and kernels left and right on a daily basis.

wordweaver

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I came to NS4G from a launch day Pre. I only made that move two weeks ago, but I can already tell that I probably won't unlock the NS4G. I ran hacks on the Pre (everyone did, right?). However, I think that the reason that we all ran hacks was in order to get the kinds of functonality that is really just stock with Android. Pretty much, if I want it now, there is an app for it. Remember having to hack homebrew apps on the Pre (Simply Flipflops)? Well, we had to do that because there were no or few WebOS apps. The WebOS app market is still lame. But on Nexus, everything (accept the signal) just works. No need to root. I hope that the update repairs all of our signal woes. If so, the NS4G is hands down the best phone I have ever used.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I came to NS4G from a launch day Pre. I only made that move two weeks ago, but I can already tell that I probably won't unlock the NS4G. I ran hacks on the Pre (everyone did, right?). However, I think that the reason that we all ran hacks was in order to get the kinds of functonality that is really just stock with Android. Pretty much, if I want it now, there is an app for it. Remember having to hack homebrew apps on the Pre (Simply Flipflops)? Well, we had to do that because there were no or few WebOS apps. The WebOS app market is still lame. But on Nexus, everything (accept the signal) just works. No need to root. I hope that the update repairs all of our signal woes. If so, the NS4G is hands down the best phone I have ever used.

This update will assume fix all my issues I've had with the phone. If the rumored update fact sheet was correct; it stated something along the lines of: "tune signal strength meter". Which I still stand by as my Nexus S preforms no less than my Epic did on 3g. Maybe the Evo is better signal than the Epic to begin with; but, if anything: it's not going to be fixed IMHO since it doesn't preform any different.

This is hands down the best phone I've ever used; and, I hope the next Nexus can top it as far as look and feel.

And anyone who says anything about Android being buggy and not "reliable":

1- The only phone I ever owned that wasn't buggy was a Rzr. And all it did was make calls and send SMS and MMS.
2- Alt Shft Del became my best friend on my Blackberry; more son than Cntrl Alt Del on windows 98.
3- Working at the mall when I owned an Edge iPhone 8gb: the Apple store became my life line as I did not bring my charger to work; and, the phone screen would lock up and need to be plugged in to fix the issue. Since I couldn't pull the battery.

gmleonar#AC

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
thank u EVERYONE for ur support, its nice to join another community with open arms... and the main reason i was seeing if there was a need to root, was because with hacking the pre, all the little things that u could tweak were amazing(even though most of em were things that SHOULD have been on the phone), and the process was just so damn easy, but i found the process to be a little more in depth, not ridiculous, just more time consuming that typing in one line of command... but anyways, i loved my pre, gonna still hold on to it, i just hope that i like the NS4G and android as much as i do webos... o, btw, u r all +1 in my book for all the tips/suggestions and thank u again :)

gramamoose

May 14, 2011
Visit site
thank u EVERYONE for ur support, its nice to join another community with open arms... and the main reason i was seeing if there was a need to root, was because with hacking the pre, all the little things that u could tweak were amazing(even though most of em were things that SHOULD have been on the phone), and the process was just so damn easy, but i found the process to be a little more in depth, not ridiculous, just more time consuming that typing in one line of command... but anyways, i loved my pre, gonna still hold on to it, i just hope that i like the NS4G and android as much as i do webos... o, btw, u r all +1 in my book for all the tips/suggestions and thank u again :)

Well, rooting was pretty much one click. I didn't have to type in any lines or anything. Just clicked like it told me to. It really was easy!!! Took about 20 minutes, other than restoring everything to how I had it. That took a while and I don't think I still have it back to where it was (not a complaint though)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mehammed