Nexus S 4G Frozen

diaz2k

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
My Nexus S 4G (Sprint) froze this morning. I was on the home screen, touched the "Google Traffic" widget, which was running at the time, then when the phone switched to Google Maps, as should be the case, the phone just froze in G-Maps. Nothing responds. All I have now is G-Maps on my screen. I also had Google Latitude running on top of the G-Map (and GPS of course). My phone is NOT rooted and still running 2.3.4 (No OTA update yet). Holding the Power key for a few seconds did NOT work. Pressing Power+Volume (up or down) keys did NOT work either. I know I have some other options: removing/reinstalling battery and ultimately factory reset. But before doing so, I want to make sure that will be safe (don't want to lose data). All my contacts are synched with Google.

Any other solutions? Wil my data be safe after removing battery or factory reset? I guess a fac reset implies loosing all data, correct?

Thanks!

wstevens

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Removing the battery and then replacing it it the best option. This will perform a hard reset of the phone, and should not result in any data loss.

oversteer325

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Removing the battery and then replacing it it the best option. This will perform a hard reset of the phone, and should not result in any data loss.

A hard reset implies a "Factory Reset" to some people so I wouldn't use that term for a battery pull. Removing the battery will basically power cycle the phone. Same as turning it off and on. Your data should be safe.

wstevens

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
A hard reset implies a "Factory Reset" to some people so I wouldn't use that term for a battery pull. Removing the battery will basically power cycle the phone. Same as turning it off and on. Your data should be safe.

I can understand the confusion. I came from the BlackBerry world before Android. All of the BlackBerry certification guides and technical documentation referred to a battery pull as a "hard reset." See KB02141-How to reset a BlackBerry smartphone as an example.

Polish Prince

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
My Nexus S 4G causes me to do a battery pull nearly every time I use Google Maps. Sometimes the device will reset itself before I even pull the battery. No clue why. Very frustrating.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk. Round stinka lardum bardle doo.

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
My Nexus S 4G causes me to do a battery pull nearly every time I use Google Maps. Sometimes the device will reset itself before I even pull the battery. No clue why. Very frustrating.

What?! Your NX4G should not be doing that, is it rooted?

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
My Nexus S 4G (Sprint) froze this morning. I was on the home screen, touched the "Google Traffic" widget, which was running at the time, then when the phone switched to Google Maps, as should be the case, the phone just froze in G-Maps. Nothing responds. All I have now is G-Maps on my screen. I also had Google Latitude running on top of the G-Map (and GPS of course). My phone is NOT rooted and still running 2.3.4 (No OTA update yet). Holding the Power key for a few seconds did NOT work. Pressing Power+Volume (up or down) keys did NOT work either. I know I have some other options: removing/reinstalling battery and ultimately factory reset. But before doing so, I want to make sure that will be safe (don't want to lose data). All my contacts are synched with Google.

Any other solutions? Wil my data be safe after removing battery or factory reset? I guess a fac reset implies loosing all data, correct?

Thanks!

Anytime it locks up just pop the back off and put it back in and power it on,sometimes things just mess up. You won't lose any data or anything like that. In the more then two years ive had android never lost data or anything having to pull the battery.

What?! Your NX4G should not be doing that, is it rooted?

Root would have nothing to do with how any gapps react or perform.A simple wipe of the apps data to fix the issue sometimes,or the other option i listed below works good too.

No. Haven't rooted it. Don't think I'm going to either.

I would try uninstall reboot the phone then install maps again see if that helps any.

Polish Prince

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I would try uninstall reboot the phone then install maps again see if that helps any.

That worked! Just put maps through some serious abuse & no freeze! Thx for the tip. Your crap don't stink!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sam_274