Icecream 4.0.4 for Nex 4g S battery issues

jabco

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Looks great but some big issues. The phone many times runs slow and wont respond. batterty life is at least half what it use to be and I have great battery programs. and last I have to have security sign in for my company and now with 4.0.4 when incoming call I can't answer it without putting in code but freezed out and cant do.

Any help

arrasmith

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
One. Turn off the screen auto brightness.
Two. Use multi-task to swipe away any unused applications. Always swipe away any browsers.
Three. Always sleep your phone from the home screen and not an application.

Run that for a day and see if it helps.

Reactions: mtndewgood

zzz0ned

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I completely reset my phone after I noticed a couple of glitches related to booting the phone up.

Now my battery life is miniscule...seriously.

With Gingerbread, I usually could go for a bit over a day without a charge. This morning I was off the charger for maybe 4 hours and the phone signaled me that it was at 14% and that was with NO use.

So I recharged it at work with a USB cable to 70%. In about 2 hours it was back down to 14%.

That's with a nonanimated wallpaper and no apps open or multitasking except for a clock/weather widget ("Beautiful Widgets")

Just now when it discharged again, I noticed the phone was warm in my pocket, but the screen was not on.

I'm planning on resetting it again tonight and not put any apps on it except for the essentials.

Naturally I am very disappointed with this situation. It's very similar to what happened to my Transformer tablet with the ICS "upgrade". One might guess that there is a major problem with ICS. :(

Last edited:

Mordac

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
One. Turn off the screen auto brightness.
Two. Use multi-task to swipe away any unused applications. Always swipe away any browsers.
Three. Always sleep your phone from the home screen and not an application.

Run that for a day and see if it helps.

1. Auto brightness off, okay. Is there a recommendation for what level to set the screen to? As dark as you can stand or 25%, whichever is lower? 8)

2. I thought swipping away apps just removed them from the multi-tasking option (long-press home button, right?), and didn't actually take them out of RAM.

3. Interesting. So if an app is in the foreground when you press the power button, it'll use more juice?

-M

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
At first I thought ICS greatly improved my battery life.. Turns out it's about the same as it was before the upgrade.

arrasmith

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
1. Auto brightness off, okay. Is there a recommendation for what level to set the screen to? As dark as you can stand or 25%, whichever is lower? 8)

2. I thought swipping away apps just removed them from the multi-tasking option (long-press home button, right?), and didn't actually take them out of RAM.

3. Interesting. So if an app is in the foreground when you press the power button, it'll use more juice?

Right now I'm playing around with trying to figure out how Android 4 multi-tasking is exactly working along with all the ways to show running apps. Because the multi-task menu isn't the same as the running app menu which is nowhere the same as looking at running processes from a terminal.

I'm messing around with my phone trying to figure out possible problems. One thing I do know is that if your phone is sleeping and feels warm ... It wan't sleeping. Go to the battery option under settings, click on the graph, and post a screen shot of the history details. It would be interesting to see the Awake and Screen On output.

And for me when my browser is in foreground and screen is off, it is still awake.

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Trying checking each app to make sure their data and options weren't changed. I noticed on mine that gtalk was signed in all day. Slowly draining my battery. There are alot of apps that can be running in the background you might have turned off in gingerbread but are running now on ICS.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Trying checking each app to make sure their data and options weren't changed. I noticed on mine that gtalk was signed in all day. Slowly draining my battery. There are alot of apps that can be running in the background you might have turned off in gingerbread but are running now on ICS.
Google Talk signed in how? Mine is always signed in as long as my signal or wifi bars are blue and not grey.

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
You can sign in and out of GTalk on your phone. I'm always signed out. If I'm not actively using why stay signed in?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Looks great but some big issues. The phone many times runs slow and wont respond. batterty life is at least half what it use to be and I have great battery programs. and last I have to have security sign in for my company and now with 4.0.4 when incoming call I can't answer it without putting in code but freezed out and cant do.

Any help

Post this on Google's forums for Android. It's the only way to get it fixed.

JohnAlpha

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I've actually been seeing better battery life since I made the upgrade. While I previously would only get about 10 hours of battery life, I'm now usually seeing between 12 and 14. That's leaving autobrightness on, though I never leave my IM accounts logged in and I try to set my sync time for social networking apps at pretty sparse intervals.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Can I ask why people sync social network stuff as opposed to just doing a refresh when the app is reopened?

JohnAlpha

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I mainly do it so I'll get notifications for @-mentions on Twitter if the app that I'm using doesn't have push. If I'm busy I won't check it otherwise.

jabco

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same problem, I was wondering whymy shirt pocket was so warm, its the battery being overworked. I cant figure out whats going on. Many things weird and not responding as fast, battery life bad 2 hours off charger and 30% left. I have tried closing apps, have a super battery control but something else is using the battery that the controls can't pick up on. The upgrade looks super, but needs fast fixes...

jabco

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
with screnn setting as low as possible and auto control off, the percent of screen to battery useage still is almost 40% did not change much. Something is using the screen to drain the battery. When its asleep phone get warm meaning still using the battery somehow.... got to be a minor fix to do fast as driving us crazy I don't have a charge cord long enought for this...and carry 2 batteries....HELP