onboard 16gb?

bcbbanga4l

Q&A Team
Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Having two problems with this phones storage. One is when i check the amount of memory available to me once I bought the phone it said I had 9GB available i thought it was 16? Second I inserted My sim card for my old android phone into the photon since the phone comes with onboard memory I am assuming the files that are normally on the sim are on the phone itself so should I format my sim card before I insert it and what options do I have to save music and photos on my card instead of the onboard memory.?

Thank you very much for your help

jacobrdavis

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Do you mean micro SD instead of SIM? Your old micro SD will work and you shouldn't have to format it, unless you want to start fresh.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

bcbbanga4l

Q&A Team
Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Re: onboard 16gb???

Yes thats exactly what i meant. Yeah but the old micro sd is formatted for a different android phone so it has sort of the same files as this one does on itd inboard storage. I am assuming thst Will mess things up a bit?

SunYam

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site

I was wondering the same thing. Every where I've read states it has 16GB of onboard storage, yet when I check it says only have 8.91GB available. I'm a bit confused by this.

ljbad4life

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

This has been discussed a bit in various threads, but lets put an end to this revolving question.

1)Does the Photon have 16GB?
Yes

2)when I check it only says 8.91GB available
Not all of the photon's memory is user accessible and the available memory is partitioned. 8.91 is available for internal storage. Music, video and most other user downloaded files(non apps) go to this partition. an additional 2.5GB is available just for apps. so that's 2.5+8.91=11.41gb of user accessible and useable space.

3) where's the rest of the memory
The rest is allocated to system memory and security. Keep in mind that motorola has gone far above and beyond what most other manufacturers have done in regards to security. Motorola has implemented hardware and software based security to really make the photon function as a business device. Seriously check out how through a job motorola has done by looking at all of the security settings, user accounts, admin capabilities.

Also take into account formatting! Hope this helps!:D

Reactions: |-KGB-|CaptHowdy

scoobdude

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site

This has been discussed a bit in various threads, but lets put an end to this revolving question.

Yes

Not all of the photon's memory is user accessible and the available memory is partitioned. 8.91 is available for internal storage. Music, video and most other user downloaded files(non apps) go to this partition. an additional 2.5GB is available just for apps. so that's 2.5+8.91=11.41gb of user accessible and useable space.

The rest is allocated to system memory and security. Keep in mind that motorola has gone far above and beyond what most other manufacturers have done in regards to security. Motorola has implemented hardware and software based security to really make the photon function as a business device. Seriously check out how through a job motorola has done by looking at all of the security settings, user accounts, admin capabilities.

Just to add to this, 16GB is seen different by both hardware and software manufactures. when you buy 16GB of storage you need to understand the hardware manufacture sees 1GB as 1000MB. Software sees 1GB as 1024MB so you get something like this: 16000MB/1024MB which equals = 15.625GB

For a more precise formula and explanation see here

SunYam

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site

Yes

Thank you! That helps and it makes sense, now don't have to think something odd is going on with my Photon.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member