Poor wifi signal reception?

dullgeek

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I'm a convert from webOS. I have a very strong wifi signal in my house - dual AP's: one upstairs and one downstairs. I get strong signal strength on every device I have. Except it's pretty poor on the photon. Is anyone else seeing this? If it's just an issue with my handset then a quick swap from BBY (where I bought it) could fix it. If it's an issue with the model then that's a different story.

Is it just me?

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
The wifi logo also shows less bars even if I'm next to the router, but the actual internet is just as fast, if not faster, than my epic 4g. The web experience is better with my photon, but it might be because the newer os.

Reactions: dullgeek

tlaz

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm a convert from webOS. I have a very strong wifi signal in my house - dual AP's: one upstairs and one downstairs. I get strong signal strength on every device I have. Except it's pretty poor on the photon. Is anyone else seeing this? If it's just an issue with my handset then a quick swap from BBY (where I bought it) could fix it. If it's an issue with the model then that's a different story.

Is it just me?

Former Pre user myself. My Wifi on the Photon is very comparable to the Pre, if not better. And web browsing is much faster. But the Pre was still a much better UI, hands down. 13 taps in Android to do what a swipe and a tap would do on the Pre. Grumble grumble. :'(

But I'm having less withdrawal every day. The Photon actually rocks.

sct-esq

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm a former BlackBerry user (without a wifi option). My Droid Charge also has poor wifi reception. My wife has the Samsung Thunderbolt with great reception. She also has a Samsung Tab (7-inch) also with good reception. She routinely gets 17+Gbps on wifi, besting her 4g speeds by a mile. My Charge (also Samsung) barely makes it to 900 Mbps. Consequently, I leave it on 4G, which is much faster than Wifi on the Charge..

Incidentally, my old Palm TX (I was a Palm loyalist for many, many years) still gets great wifi reception in the house. The only thing that does not is my Charge.

Any ideas? Is this a Charge-specific issue or an issue with my phone? Am I missing a setting? I am otherwise very happy with my Charge (and learning to type without a keyboard).

I have Comcast Internet (very, very fast) and Verizon Wireless mobile devices.

Incidentally, when I made the decision (in 2008) to go with a smartphone, I went to the Verizon store to get a Treo755p (if my memory is correct) but Palm had stopped shipping them and the only option I had in Palm was the toy Centro or a windows Palm phone (and there was no way I was doing windows). I ended up with a BlackBerry. I'm sorry HP scuttled webOS. I was planning to get a pre 3 and to rejoin the HP/Palm family this fall, but we know how that story turns out. I am STILL blown away by HP's decision, after investing so much into webOS. With webOS dead, I got the Charge. The Android devices are so out in front of BlackBerry that it made no sense to get yet another 3G BlackBerry w/ a lousy browser.

I know this is off topic and I am rambling, but the one thing that BlackBerry did well was corporate email. However, I've discovered that my Charge is actually BETTER than my old BlackBerry in synchronizing with exchange email. My BB went only one way; changes on the phone were reflected on my work PC, but not vice versa. With the Charge, it is two-way and the sync is almost simultaneous. It is an awesome email device.

Thanks for any insight you may have into my wifi problem.

Scott
Phila.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
The wifi logo also shows less bars even if I'm next to the router, but the actual internet is just as fast, if not faster, than my epic 4g. The web experience is better with my photon, but it might be because the newer os.
This is my experience. It shows fewer bands than the Pre did, but it seems to download stuff faster anyway, and it works smoothly in all the same places any other wifi device works in my house.

On the other hand, it routinely shows more bars of 3G than the Pre, but I don't think the reception is actually any better. Sort of weird.

(And I agree about the "having to tap 13 times". It's so responsive that it might actually take less time to do stuff than on the Pre, but I have to tap an awful lot more buttons, and I miss aspects of the Pre. Of course, I don't miss it freezing up, or taking a minute for the calendar to open, or mysteriously deciding it doesn't want to synch email right now, or . . . But I miss the well-thought-out UI, and the cards, and the keyboard.)