No SVDO on Sprint S4!!!

RG129

May 16, 2010
Visit site
How disappointing!!! I've been playing around with my phone so much that I didn't realize how I've barely used this phone to actually make phone calls!

The EVO 4G LTE was capable of SVDO, why can't this phone? Can anybody confirm if the HTC One is capable of SVDO? I'm on the fence if this is a deal breaker or not. It's definitely going to be a huge adjustment that I'll need to get used to if I choose to keep this phone.

:-\

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I didn't realize this either since I'm usually on wifi... But I no if u have 4g signal it works

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Android Central Forums

RG129

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Consistent 4G signal is so unreliable at this point on Sprint...

Is SVDO something that can be added with an OTA upgrade? Didn't the S3 support SVDO?

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Consistent 4G signal is so unreliable at this point on Sprint...

Is SVDO something that can be added with an OTA upgrade? Didn't the S3 support SVDO?

Yes the s3 supported it. Real bummer that this was cut out on the s4. Loved being able to talk on the phone with my mom and browse online during our too long and boring conversation ;)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I really don't get why this shouldn't be standard on all carrier networks to allow data usage while being on the phone. I don't see how it ISN'T possible. Phone calls don't use data, so why do they have to block it???
It would be enough to have me consider switching carriers if I was on Sprint

RG129

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I read in another forum that they decided to forego SVDO since Sprint was well on their way in deploying LTE and simultaneous LTE/Voice is possible. I seriously doubt that Sprint LTE will be a acceptably functional within the next year.

I just want to be able to send non-SMS messages (Google Talk, Google Voice, Whatsapp, FB Messenger) while I'm on the phone! Please just let me send out those few bits of data!!! :'(

gruppe3942#AC

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I really don't get why this shouldn't be standard on all carrier networks to allow data usage while being on the phone. I don't see how it ISN'T possible. Phone calls don't use data, so why do they have to block it???

If this is the case...the only phone which would be possible would be on the GSM network.

RG129

May 16, 2010
Visit site
If this is the case...the only phone which would be possible would be on the GSM network.

Select CDMA phones allow for SVDO which is simultaneous voice and 3g data network connectivity. On Sprint, the EVO 4G LTE had it and the S3 had it. It seems they took a step backwards with the S4, relying on their "LTE" network for simultaneous voice and data.

KeboPR

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
My phone is SVDO capable.. Im with sprint too...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Android Central Forums

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

From my understanding (someone correct me if I am wrong) the CDMA chip can only do either voice or data... It cannot do both like a GSM chip can. So if your CDMA chip is using voice.. It cannot do any data. If it's doing data.. It can't do voice (that's why if you got a call incoming it would cut data out right away to allow the call).

Now.. In the case for the S3 I believe they put in the extra radio to allow the SVDO. This is why the S3 can do it.

I read in another forum that they decided to forego SVDO since Sprint was well on their way in deploying LTE and simultaneous LTE/Voice is possible. I seriously doubt that Sprint LTE will be a acceptably functional within the next year.

That depends where are you and is your area in the process of NV (network vision)? I can get 4g in a good amount of Jacksonville so once they officially launch us I'd suspect it will be pretty good to go.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
From my understanding (someone correct me if I am wrong) the CDMA chip can only do either voice or data... It cannot do both like a GSM chip can. So if your CDMA chip is using voice.. It cannot do any data. If it's doing data.. It can't do voice (that's why if you got a call incoming it would cut data out right away to allow the call).

Now.. In the case for the S3 I believe they put in the extra radio to allow the SVDO. This is why the S3 can do it.

That depends where are you and is your area in the process of NV (network vision)? I can get 4g in a good amount of Jacksonville so once they officially launch us I'd suspect it will be pretty good to go.

I don't think so Cus when I was with T-Mobile couple of years back, I couldn't talk and browse at the same time....

Its an independent device hardware issue IMO.

Sent from my Galaxy S3?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't think so Cus when I was with T-Mobile couple of years back, I couldn't talk and browse at the same time....

Its an independent device hardware issue IMO.

Sent from my Galaxy S3?

Well your saying a couple years back.. That would depend on the area.. If your phone was actually on their GSM network or on their beloved edge network.. And what phone. This is why ATT always used to boast about voice and data at the same time because the other carriers (Verizon and Sprint) were CDMA and couldn't do it.. But their GSM can. ATT doesn't brag as much anymore about it since LTE can handle voice and data at the same time.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
yes and there is already an OTA update. chill out and call an instore tech

Didn't mean to thank.. But what? Call a tech about what?

This only confirms that I made the right decision to leave that fledgling network and its bad business decisions. smh...

It depends on your area. I get LTE most places so :).

mij9895

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
The Samsung Galaxy Victory was the last Sprint LTE phone released to support SVDO. Sprints SVDO capable phones were setup so that EVDO and LTE shared the same transmission path thereby leaving the 1X radio to transmit independently from EVDO. Due to the buildout of Network Vision, that feature won't be needed for very long. I wouldn't let it get to you. If you want that feature, use your old phones until LTE comes to your area.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rabruslik