Sprint changing hotspot plans; 5GB data cap starts Oct. 2

tybo31316

May 9, 2011
Visit site
In the latest Sprint Playbook we're seeing another plan change, this time to the mobile hotspot feature. Starting Oct. 2, current and future customers will have a 5GB limit when using the mobile hotspot add-on to their plan. Data used on the phone itself isn't being limited (other than the 300MB "roaming" data cap, it's still all you can eat), but both 3G and 4G data used via the hotspot feature will now be subject to a $0.05 per MB charge once the 5GB cap is reached. Before, 4G data was unlimited.

A similiar change is being made to mobile broadband devices like aircards, tablets, and portable hotspots that used to have unlimited 4G data. It could be worse, but we're pretty sure that even though most don't subscribe to the hotspot add-on and use other methods, there will still be plenty of wailing and gnashing of teeth. Can't stop changes folks.

http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-4g-data-plans-changing

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
If they would just crack down on all the people who are rooted and using their devices as wifi hotspots and downloading many, many, many times that 5GB limit Sprint would have enough bandwidth to not have to resort to things like this. The biggest problem I have with this is not the cap itself its that it is the honest people paying for the service that are hurt. Those who do not pay are not affected in any way.

This is akin to saying that you are going to start taxing gun sales at 500% because crime is rampant and too many guns are being used in violent crimes. The people buy the guns at reputable dealers are not the ones committing the crimes, but they are the ones paying for it. Criminals still get their guns by stealing them, buying stolen guns, etc.

drjb74

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
It's not just people who are rooted who are eating up the data. People are doing more with data on cell phones in general. This has far outpaced the growth and upgrading of cellular networks. This was an inevitability, in my opinion. Cell phone companies simply haven't been able to keep up with improving their networks. The release of the iPhone a few years ago was the tipping point. Everyone flocked to ATT to get the iPhone, and used a lot of data (not individually, but as a whole). This simply exposed the fact that the networks were not ready for devices that allow their users to consume massive amounts of data.

Unfortunately, this issue will most likely continue for another year or two, as netowrks build out their systems to try and accomodate this increase in data consumption. The only way to improve it in the meantime is to limit the amount of data people are using.

I don't like it anymore than you do, but it is something we are going to have to live with, whether we like it or not. I think if you combine the iPhone on Sprint with the unlimited data, you will see an large influx of customers who want to get in on the plan, before it disappears, hoping to be grandfathered in when the change inevitably hits.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
if i am paying Sprint a $10 data tax, I'll use my data how i damn well please especially since they want to break tethering on the NS4G

drjb74

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
The data fee gives you unlimited data on your phone, not on your laptop or whatever else you have tethered to your phone. Personally, I think that you should be able to use the data however you see fit, but it is not how the cellular providers see it. They all are moving to the same business model. Tiered data is becoming the norm, and in reality, it doesn't affect that many people.

I cannot cite the source, but I have read that the average consumer uses less than 2 GB of data a month. However, considering how much data people used 5 years ago, it is a dramatic increase. Networks still are not built to fully handle that, and until they catch up, tiered data plans will be implemented. Unfortunately, by the time the networks catch up, people will probably be doing even more with their phones than they are now, and at that point we will all be on tiered data, and be complaining about some other aspect we don't like, me included.

tybo31316

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I dont think that changing the hotspot feature is going to effect alot of people negatively. I believe it will enable us to see faster speeds on our phones. As of late Ive been recieving some pretty low speeds. I cant even watch a youtube video without it buffering. I know alot of people that has dropped their home internet because hotspot feature was cheaper than their home internet causing the speeds on the network to decrease drastically. By sprint capping the hotspot feature we will actually experience better service and its still priced better than verizon and att hotspot feature on their devices.

Slusho64

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Semi-related: what's with the 300 MB "roaming" cap? You have to use Sprint's towers and if you use someone else's you're severely limited in your data usage? How do I know which I'm using? If where I live happens to have the wrong tower I don't want Sprint!

tybo31316

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Semi-related: what's with the 300 MB "roaming" cap? You have to use Sprint's towers and if you use someone else's you're severely limited in your data usage? How do I know which I'm using? If where I live happens to have the wrong tower I don't want Sprint!

youll know when youre roaming

drjb74

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
You can actually go into your phone menu - wireless and networks, and select Sprint Only, Then you would only get service from Sprint's network. You can also set it to notify you when you are roaming.

tyea

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I wish my NS4G wifi hotspot was enabled, because being able to sync my Kindle using the hotspot would be very convenient. I don't want to root my NS4G, and the $30 extra to have tethering enabled is not worth it. I wish a solution could be worked out for Kindle syncing. I think the 3G Kindle uses the ATT network. May Sprint could work out a deal with Amazon for a Kindle wifi syncing application. That deal would potentially sell more Sprint phones, and more Kindle wifi only models.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm 13 days into my billing cycle and I'm at 1,028,320KB.

My girlfriend is at a whopping 80,248KB, lol.

I'm a heavy web browser. Not big on videos; but, watch at least 1 a day I would say. Listen to Pandora on the way to work and on the way home. Haven't been using Netflix. People are always telling me I'm always on my phone. I NEVER go over 4gb a month. What are some people doing that they are going over than without tethering? Do you have jobs?! L O L!.

But in all seriousness. People who are tethering for Xbox and Ps3.... SERIOUSLY!!!!! That's absurd. I'm sorry. And seriously, again, where are you using your lap top that there isn't WiFi?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!. In the middle of the woods? I've been able to tether for free since last October when I got my Epic. I used it like twice for 10 minutes when I was sitting in my car. Then, realized, this is just annoying I'll use my phone.

michikade#AC

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
For those of us that pay the $29.99 surcharge for hotspot, Sprint should give us a widget or app that tracks hotspot usage. Because people who pay for it will be fit-throwing in droves when they get their bills next month and there are charged the extra for overages.

Because from what I see so far, it is combining all data usage on m.sprint.com so I'm not really sure how much of the 2.7 gigs of data i've used has been on my phone or through tethering. I know MOST has been on my phone, but I would like a better breakdown of what I'm using where.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Simba501

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm really concerned with the state of the mobile market. With carriers changing for the worse, and the apparent merger, things will only deteriorate. :( :mad:

Sent from my Inspire

Last edited: