Signal strength 4g vs 3g

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I just received the Verizon s4 yesterday. I am having a difficult time picking up a 4G signal at my home with it (If I set it on a counter and don't touch it I get a signal). I also have a Verizon Jetpack 4620. The Jetpack pulls in a 4G signal at -112/-113 db (and shows two bars). When I get a signal on the s4 it shows -114db. Otherwise, the 3G signal is strong at -89db.

EDIT: I should add that the Speedtest.net app reports between 5.5 and 11.5 Mbits download and between 300-400Kbits upload.

Why are you posting this in a Sprint thread? And what is a jet pack?

Sent from my SPH-L720

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Digital signal is digital signal. Either it's being received, or it's not. Example: A satellite dish receiving a signal strength 0f 90% is no different than another only receiving 49%.
The picture quality is identiical.

That's not quite accurate. I have 4G in my house, but I can't get a usable data stream unless the phone is held bottom up and/or in certain spots. Sometimes it behaves like 1X but usually it only has enough quality to not kick back to 3G. In those specific locations and positions, it's fast and fairly consistent.

Oh and it's faster in a nearby city than in my town...4 times faster in fact.

So no it's not all or nothing.

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
It is with TV digital signal, all or nothing. I don't know with phone. There is microwave signals and LTE etc. Depends on what kind of "4g" we are talking about? HSPA, LTE, wimax etc.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

inermotion

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I just ordered a 4g xlte mifi, I don't know the connection here on 4g but with a 3g phone i get 2 bars outside, even with a crappy 3g connection its possible to get 4g on a 4g device? I checked verizons coverage maps & I am like 1/2 a mile from the 4G LTE but I am in the 4G LTE Extended :(

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I just ordered a 4g xlte mifi, I don't know the connection here on 4g but with a 3g phone i get 2 bars outside, even with a crappy 3g connection its possible to get 4g on a 4g device? I checked verizons coverage maps & I am like 1/2 a mile from the 4G LTE but I am in the 4G LTE Extended :(

This is the Sprint forum not Verizon :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I know but its basically the same thing since they both carry 4g devices & this is a 4g/3g discussion.

Close but different bands of LTE for the 4g.. And Sprints equipment is older on their 3g versus Verizon.

I was just letting you know this is the Sprint area Incase you were looking for help you may want to create a thread in the Verizon area to get a better response from your fellow Verizon people :). I'd just include things like what phone you have.. Where you live.. And how long you've been having the issue.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.