How are Sprint customers taking advantage of unlimited data?

brillrick

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't purposely try to run my data up. But with solid 3G and
4G signals plus a AOSP rom and tiamat kernel(3.3.7) that's give me
Awesome battery life compared to stock . Its hard not to run up the data.
Fyi,Lately I have been averaging. Anywhere from 9-13 MB DL upload is about
1.5 MB on speakeasy speedtest. With this type of speed Netflix buffers for only a couple of seconds. Then no buffering there after. As for 3G? The speeds average from 1.2- 2.3 MB and .6-.8 MB UL.

I think Sprint in last month or so has turned up the signal and speeds?Because I have never
Seen my wimax and cdma speeds average that high before. Since the speeds are like that for me
Everything that my Evo does in terms of data usage seems to run alot faster and smoother
Than previous months.

You must not live in NYC, because since the iPhone launched 3G in the bronx where i live and manhattan where i work have been terrible. i'm lucking to get .5MbpsDL

4G speeds have stayed about the same. The max i've ever seen on Sprint 4G in NYC was 7Mbps down, and that was during the first 2 months of 4G launch in NYC. Now, almost a year later, i am average 3-4Mbps down.

I do like the unlimited data. I've attached images of my monthly usage of 3G and 4G data. Sprint only recently started telling customers their 4G usage, so that is why the 4G graph is weird.

Reactions: Mellimel22

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Lategordon,
I live in Hawaii. Here are some test I just ran.
4G
screenshot-1322685191111.png

3G
screenshot-1322685387940.png

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I took advantage of it by using 8-10 gigs a month anytime i was in a 4g area. Now that I'm not, i took advantage and left sprint because 3g turned into a disaster here. With no upgrades scheduled.

my phone sent this message and I had nothing to do with it.

Android32

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm on about 2-3 hours straight a day, every day. I'm gonna ride with them until they stop the unlimited data. Then I'm gone. Probably to T-Mobile... Maybe Verizon. (wife's on Verizon) Just Can't see myself paying 30-40 bux for 2 Gb! I have faith. I use Netflix and Beyond Podcast alot! I have no complaints about Wimax. Works for me! And travel I travel quite a bit.
:D

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Horr1bleK1tten

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
The only reason I want sprint is cause the unlimited data . I hate Verizon the 3g is slow and you only have 2gbs. 3g and 4g. Cool phones yeah but that's it

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Fubie

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Since I'm away from home 5 (or more) days a week I tether (root) my phone to my laptop and watch Netflix, Youtube or Hulu. Hell anything I normally would do I do tethered. But my road mileage varies with the craptastic connections Sprint has.

Strafe

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Funny story here: Recently upgraded the wife's phone to an EVO-3D from an HTC Diamond. Apparently she likes it a lot and still listens to the Pandora Christmas music stream while out walking, and her data usage is up 500% to ~350MB per month. All this with just a 3G connection. No decent 4G coverage anywhere nearby, oh well.

njt462

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I use my connection for Pandora, YouTube, and web surfing, as well as, tethering. I average about 350-400GB a month. Last month saw my highest usage of 611GB Sprint has never said a word to me. :)

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I Average about 1gb or so a month. But when i am home, i am connected to my wifi. So with how much i do use while at my house, i would say i would be up to maybe 5 or 6 gb's

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I use my connection for Pandora, YouTube, and web surfing, as well as, tethering. I average about 350-400GB a month. Last month saw my highest usage of 611GB Sprint has never said a word to me. :)
No way in hell that is true. If it is, I hope sprint shuts down your service and make you pay a high etf. I know it's unlimited data, but that's just abuse and it does nothing but hog bandwidth. This is a smartphone not your pc with home Internet

Lorak

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
For me, sprints data speeds have been so slow over the last 6 months that unlimited data is a joke.
a lot of days you can't even stream pandora or slacker due to buffering and cut outs.

Unless netwrok vision gets implimented here in a hurry. I am going to be gone soon.
sub 300kbps (on a good day) and most of the days in the 100's kbms. Is not worth staying for.

sparkeater79

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
i use espn radio, pandora, alot of web browsing, pic messages, pppppooooorrrrrnnnnn, Grand theft auto. I love not having to worry about my data usage.

sparkeater79

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
nice..... I just got my most recent bill. 14 gigs of 3g used. 1.1 gig 4g. I do use wifi at my house though so it could have been higher.