Sprint 3G is Horrible

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I liked what sprint stood for but boy did their 3g speeds suck and wimax couldn't penetrate a wet paper bag. I'm happy I switched to Verizon. 4gb is a lot of data so if u want to switch do it while they have double the data. You won't regret it..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

smcolbert

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I use far more than 4GB even with wifi always on at home and some other places. That's on sprint 3G. Even if it's faster there's no way verizon would provide what I need. With sprint keeping current pricing and staying unlimited with their very aggressive LTE rollout I'm excited to see what they have to over in the next 1-2 years.

Sent from my GT-P7510

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
And, again, it all depends on where you live. I've been in a bunch of places coast to coast over the last 5 years and have never had a problem.

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I use far more than 4GB even with wifi always on at home and some other places. That's on sprint 3G. Even if it's faster there's no way verizon would provide what I need. With sprint keeping current pricing and staying unlimited with their very aggressive LTE rollout I'm excited to see what they have to over in the next 1-2 years.

Sent from my GT-P7510

Just curious what do you exactly do on your phone that you consistently use waaay more that 4gb. Unless your streaming movies which I don't do at all??

lyingfromyou

May 5, 2011
Visit site
So I've been trying to use Sprint 3G on my commute on the LIRR and its been even worse than usual. It's actually taken me a full minute to pull up this message board on tapatalk. I timed it. I'm currently off contract but I have to now seriously consider jumping to Verizon. I've spent years with no 4G service on Long Island while friends are zooming along on Verizon with faster service than my WiFi in my own home. It's amazingly frustrating.

Sent from my EVO Shift

I understand how you feel! Pensacola, Fl. is still in the dark too! But for some reason if you travel down I-10 you pick up blazing fast 4G until you hit the water... 4 carriers have it in my area except for mine! Devices are great and so is customer service, it all means nothing with a crappy signal! Suck Less Sprint!

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Just curious what do you exactly do on your phone that you consistently use waaay more that 4gb. Unless your streaming movies which I don't do at all??

I use about under 10 gb a month in in Chicago that's only cuz i stay and I do mean stay on wimax lol I stream pandora and you tube and Google Music

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

smcolbert

May 22, 2011
Visit site

I listen to several podcasts a week. Listen to a lot of streaming music. I am also consantly downloading new apps. I just changed my rom, so my usage statistics aren't typical, but google music, pandora, and the play store are some of the top apps listed.

Sent from my GT-P7510

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Theres always fanboys in every arena..The fact of the matter is that the OP is correct. Sprints 3G service absolutley SUCKS..I traveled from Houston to Dallas on I45 and the serivces were almost unusable..Don't even talk about 4g its horrid at best.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Theres always fanboys in every arena..The fact of the matter is that the OP is correct. Sprints 3G service absolutley SUCKS..I traveled from Houston to Dallas on I45 and the serivces were almost unusable..Don't even talk about 4g its horrid at best.

Fact of the matter is you sound worse than any fanboy. I think you meant to say that Sprint 3G sucks in that little area you're talking about. I've been everywhere from San Diego to NY and have rarely experienced problems. Sprint is no different than other carriers, they have their good areas and bad.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

smcolbert

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I just pulled 1800kbps down near Chicago yesterday over 3G.

If we are going to evaluate networks based on that standard, then we can make arbitrary claims about any carrier.

I'm not saying you'll get 1800 kbps consistently nationwide. I'm just saying your experience may not be a very complete picture of the network as a whole.

Reactions: crzycrkr

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I've been with Sprint for 12 years. In and around Atlanta I've never had a problem. I just ordered the new EVO 4G LTE and have contracted for another 2 years.

PLCSP

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I rode from California to Tennessee and didn't have a problem receiving calls from family and updating my location. I also surfed the internet some. There are too many variables to say that one carrier sucks and the others are better. The quality of your phone, mountains, and a ton of other variables come into play. In my city, Sprint call quality is great. My dad dropped AT&T for Verizon because he was experiencing alot of dropped calls, but I'm sure AT&T is better in other cities. We're supposed to get 4G LTE by the end of 2012.

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
Did a roadtrip a month ago from FL to MO, listening to Pandora most of the way. Worked out fine. Am getting up to 2Mbps for 3G in my area and 6-8Mbps with 4G, sometimes 12Mbps. I have been in a couple areas though that are dog slow.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I just pulled 1800kbps down near Chicago yesterday over 3G.

If we are going to evaluate networks based on that standard, then we can make arbitrary claims about any carrier.

I'm not saying you'll get 1800 kbps consistently nationwide. I'm just saying your experience may not be a very complete picture of the network as a whole.

I'd say your experience may not be a very complete picture of the network as a whole.

I used to say the same stuff you're saying...and then I was affected by massive slowdown too.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Did a roadtrip a month ago from FL to MO, listening to Pandora most of the way. Worked out fine. Am getting up to 2Mbps for 3G in my area and 6-8Mbps with 4G, sometimes 12Mbps. I have been in a couple areas though that are dog slow.

Pandora only needs something like 98kbps for an uninterrupted stream.

That's not fast.at.all.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I'd say your experience may not be a very complete picture of the network as a whole.

I used to say the same stuff you're saying...and then I was affected by massive slowdown too.

Neither is the stuff the from the people complaining. That's kind day the whole point. You've got a bunch of people here showing good speeds. Sprint obviously doesn't suck everywhere as some would want us to believe.

Pandora only needs something like 98kbps for an uninterrupted stream.

That's not fast.at.all.

You ignore the part where he said he has 2mb download in his area.

This still comes down to every carrier has issues in some areas. I've driven cross country 9 times with people with different carriers and they've all had problems in areas. If Sprint isn't good in your are, by all means go with someone else. Stop trying to convince the rest of us that don't have a problem.

coinmanmat

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I live i the Detroit MI area and Sprint's 3G speeds here are a joke. The speeds i got in the test below are actually faster than what they normally are.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums