The official Sprint network speed thread (post your speeds)

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: This post was originally intended to be about pre-LTE, pre-Network Vision speeds. But just as Sprint's Network is evolving, so will this post. Feel free to post any speeds you'd like (3G pre or post upgrades, LTE, or WiMax), but please clearly state what network the speed is based on for everyone's benefit.

Original post appears below:

I've seen a lot of talk about how slow Sprint's network is recently. Especially with the very nice new hardware Sprint is getting (i.e. GNex, Evo LTE, GS3), a lot of reviews say, "Great phone, slow network". I thought it would be good to put that to the test and collect as many speed tests as possible.

Here are some groundrules. Feel free to provide any feedback or suggestions:

• Since WiMax is dying and LTE hasn't rolled out yet, we're going to focus on 3G speeds. If you're in a area with WiMax you're welcome to post WiMax speeds also.
  • Network speed can fluctate a lot based on signal strength, network traffic, etc. I'd definitely recommend doing several speed test in different areas and at different times of day. It'd be great if you could give us an idea of how many speed tests you're basing your post on and if you're posting a maximum or an average or a range.
  • Post your download and upload speed. Screenshots are welcome.
  • Post your phone. (Some people say that speed can vary with device, some say it shouldn't. I don't know, but let us know what you're testing on.)
  • Post your location. If you're in a major city, tell us which one. If you're not in a major city, at least give us an idea of where you are in your state (e.g. southeastern Louisiana)
  • If you need a speed test app, SpeedTest.net seems to be the most common one. You can get it for free here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.zwanoo.android.speedtest
  • Let us know if your area has had Sprint's "Network Vision" upgrades to the 3G network. If you don't know, you can find out here: https://network.sprint.com/ If you are in an area that's been upgraded, it would be great if you could give us an idea of how much of a change in speed you've seen. If you've got old speedtest data that you can share from before the upgrade, that's even better. (The SpeedTest.net app stores all your speed test history.)
  • Ultimately, this shouldn't be about bits of data flying through the air; this should be about user experience. So let us know about your experiences. Can you stream music? ... low quality or high quality video? Do slow speeds interfere with web browsing? Is the network fast enough for your needs? Do you have any experience with other carrier's network speeds (remember we're focusing on 3G)? How do they compare?

That's all I can think of right now. I'll go first. I hope we have fun with this...

Last edited:

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
In New Orleans with my Evo 3D on 3G I'm getting 250-650 kbps down and 50-500 kbps up depending on signal strength, network traffic, and Sprint's mood. (I just scrolled through a year of SpeedTests, ~14 of them.)

While I'd definitley love a faster network, an average of 450 down is fast enough for me to stream sd video or to have streaming music and gps navigation going at the same time (which is my usual driving setup). It's not "fast" and is sometimes inconvienent, but it's fast enough for my typical needs.

New Orleans hasn't gotten any Network Vision tower upgrades yet, so I'm definitely hoping for improvements.

Edit: Finally added a screenshot.
425764df-6973-4cc0.jpg

Last edited:

Lorak

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Winston Salem, North Carolina.
Network is usable except between the hours of 2am to 6am or so.

I average around 150kbps down and about the same up.

Using an OG EVO.

Here is a screenshot of peak times.
6b1fa412-c5e9-a60f.jpg

Wife has been fed up for months. So my whole family will be leaving sprint as soon as the galaxy drops.

I was an idiot who kept thinking sprint would fix things. Can't believe I have paid those bastards over 2500 the past year for basically wifi phones.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Winston Salem, North Carolina.
Network is usable except between the hours of 2am to 6am or so.

I average around 150kbps down and about the same up.

Using an OG EVO.

Here is a screenshot of peak times.
Click to view quoted image

Wife has been fed up for months. So my whole family will be leaving sprint as soon as the galaxy drops.

I was an idiot who kept thinking sprint would fix things. Can't believe I have paid those bastards over 2500 the past year for basically wifi phones.

they are in the process of fixing it, called network vision. LTE and improved 3g to all of sprint

Lorak

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
they are in the process of fixing it, called network vision. LTE and improved 3g to all of sprint

I know. I'll be happy to look and give sprint another chance in 2 years when my area might be done.

everseeker

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Downtown Louisville, KY 19 floors up, so signals SHOULD be great...
3G: Ping: 202 Down: 26kbps, Up: 32kbps
WiMax: Ping: 70 Down: 2163kbps, Up: 9532kbps
(Guess why I am always snuggling close to a WiFi hot spot...):)

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I hate to ask this but, how do I take a screen shot of the speed test. I am using the original EVO 4G

Last year, HTC added screenshot functionality to their phones. The Evo 3D got it in the last OTA. It works by holding the Power Button and pressing Home, but I'm not sure if the OG Evo got an update with that feature.

If you are rooted, there are tons of screenshot apps (of varying quality) in the Play Store.

jeffisbiking

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the Arena District in Downtown Columbus, OH, using a rooted OG EVO running CM7.

I get 290kbps down and 242kbps up. Blazing speeds! My wife's parents' place gets better Sprint data speeds in Chillicothe (about 50 miles south of Columbus, and a rural area compared to Columbus), to the tune of 5 times the speed I just got.

I'm not hopeful that Network Vision initiative will actually help a whole lot. My wife and I are basically waiting out our contract (stuck until January), and we're jumping ship to Verizon or AT&T.

pitmasterme

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I've never really had problems/complained about sprint's service, but it has gotten noticeably worse in recent months..... live in metro Detroit area and, according to sprint, they have started vision upgrades(3 upgrades in last 6 months and 6-9 more over next 6months)...and service has gotten worse....you can include the iPhone adding to our issues, IMO.... have a year left on my 4 lines and will see where sprint is at that point....if I don't see better speeds and/or lte, I think I'll finally bail after 13 years of continuous service.......

ns4g. Matr1x 20. Rascream ROM/skanked cm9. LC1 radio.

425773fd-e931-b173.jpg

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday, for a hamburger today..........

Last edited:

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Wow its painful to see the speeds you guys get on sprint.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thats why I left Sprinter last month. When I had my HOX on ATT I was getting 7meg down at all times and 2 up.

When I had my Evo 3D in Vermont I was seeing speeds of 160K - 200K on a good day. I really do hope Sprint improves. I mean they have the cheapest plans but they do got great CS! So in some cities but few you can get great speeds I'm sure!

tyea

May 23, 2011
Visit site
425771a4-228a-d02c.jpg

Typical average speeds on my GN in Portland. This sucks. I'm leaving Sprint when my contract expires in a year, if average speeds don't triple by that time. I had a similar experience when I was on at&t, and the first iPhone came out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2