Tax increase as of 4/1/13 - Get out of your contract and ETF!

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
The rep says that it is not a materially adverse change in my account but instead an increase in surcharges . upon which we are responsible because it is under the part I last posted ⬆

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Scotty Olsen

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Ok but quick question. If sprint surcharges are subject to change doesn't that cover them. They are saying that they can change the rules as they go. Am I right. Thanks for the help by the way

Apparently Sprint added an administrative charge at the end of 2011 and people were able to get out of contract then, so I assume that it can be done now. It will just take some fighting for and getting the right rep.

he sent me to this

Account & Service Charges
You are responsible for all charges associated with your account and the Services on your account, no matter who adds or uses the Services. Charges include, but are not limited to, the monthly recurring charges, usage charges, charges for additional services, taxes, surcharges, and fees associated with your Services. These charges are described or referred to during the sales transaction, in our marketing materials, and in confirmation materials that we may send to you. Depending on your Services, charges for additional services may include operator and directory assistance, voicemail, call forwarding, data calls, texts, and web access. If you (the account holder) allow end users to access or use your Devices, you authorize end users to access, download, and use Services. You may have the opportunity to purchase Services on a subscription basis where we assess subscription charges that allow you access to the Services and/or provide you a certain amount of use of the Services for a defined period of time. Depending on your Service, certain types of subscription charges may be assessed automatically upon activation and automatically assessed for subsequent subscription periods. Subscription Services offered on a recurring basis do not end until terminated by you or us. Subscription charges for recurring Services occur at the beginning of each bill cycle. Information regarding your bill cycle for subscription Services will be provided when you order the Services. For Services offered on a per-day basis, you will generally be charged for use before or at the time of use. In certain instances, we may charge you at some point after you use the Services. Unless otherwise disclosed, Services offered on a per-day basis end 24 hours after Service is initiated.

he states that we are resposible for surcharges taxes and fees?? any ideas

I don't understand why he sent you that, it's talking about premium content. If this is what you were making you case about, I'll explain a route to take below.

The rep says that it is not a materially adverse change in my account but instead an increase in surcharges . upon which we are responsible because it is under the part I last posted ⬆

An increase in surcharges is a material adverse change. More surcharges = paying more = make you unhappy = material adverse.

As far as the premium content goes, I pulled this from a discussion that's going on in another forum on the same topic:

Your stance: the purchase of premium content services was partly the reason why you signed up for a contract with Sprint in the first place. Increasing surcharges for premium content is tantamount (similar) to increasing costs for texting, which is a material change. Both services are arguably "optional," but again, these services are the reason why you initially went along with Sprint. You have not made any premium content purchases yet, but you intended to do so in the future. Changes to this service is a material change because Sprint has increased the cost for you to purchase these premium contents. (redundant in a few places but it serves, rather poorly, to emphasize the point)

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Apparently Sprint added an administrative charge at the end of 2011 and people were able to get out of contract then, so I assume that it can be done now. It will just take some fighting for and getting the right rep.

I don't understand why he sent you that, it's talking about premium content. If this is what you were making you case about, I'll explain a route to take below.

An increase in surcharges is a material adverse change. More surcharges = paying more = make you unhappy = material adverse.

As far as the premium content goes, I pulled this from a discussion that's going on in another forum on the same topic:

He said that the increase will be applied to insurance. Basically they are going to add taxes to the insurance which will be added to sprint surcharges.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
If the surcharges are being added to TEP like I said earlier, that is not a contract outing event because TEP is not part of your carrier contract with Sprint. It is something that you elect to buy and can cancel at any time.

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
If the surcharges are being added to TEP like I said earlier, that is not a contract outing event because TEP is not part of your carrier contract with Sprint. It is something that you elect to buy and can cancel at any time.

That is the way I see it

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Scotty Olsen

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site

That is the way I see it

If the charge is being added directly to TEP, probably not. BUT if it is added to the bill as a separate surcharge to help cover their taxes, go back to the argument that surcharges aren't required. Especially if people are seeing the increase in surcharges that don't even have TEP, then this should be a no-brainer to get out of.

the gator

May 17, 2010
Visit site
If the charge is being added directly to TEP, probably not. BUT if it is added to the bill as a separate surcharge to help cover their taxes, go back to the argument that surcharges aren't required. Especially if people are seeing the increase in surcharges that don't even have TEP, then this should be a no-brainer to get out of.

Just got off the phone with Sprint, they say not a material change to the contract no matter that I even read them from their own contract. I have been with Sprint over 13 years and the last year many of the people calling me leave a voice message because my phone doesn't ring, the same with the other phones on my contract. I explained that I just wanted them to mark the contract filled. They refused and told I will still be responsible for the ETF, looks like I will be going to AT&T and argue with Sprint later about the ETF

yosmar537

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Confirmed, this is working, got of contract today after 3 days trying!

I COLLECTED AS MUCH INFO AS I COULD, AND HERE IT IS; THIS IS YOUR WEAPON, QUOTE THEIR T&Q AND DON'T EVER GIVE UP, DO NOT ARGUE WITH THEM, TRY TO FIND THE RIGHT PERSON, THE ONE THAT HELPED ME OUT OF MY CONTRACT WAS RAFAEL, A SUPERVISOR FROM THE CANCELLATION DEPARTMENT, SO HERE IS WHAT ALL THE INFO THAT I USED AS MY BASIS FOR THE COMPLAINT:

Here is the LEGAL definition of "material change"
A change in the meaning or language of a legal document, such as a contract, deed, lease, or Commercial Paper, that is made by one party to the document without the consent of the other after it has been signed or completed.

Sprint is changing the way they calculate surcharges. Sprint's surcharges are part of their rates. Therefore, Sprint is charging different rates starting April 1, 2013. For it to be considered material, it is irrelevant which way the change has gone. What's relevant is that the original meaning of the legal document has changed.

Also, using taxes anywhere in this discussion is deliberately misleading. Sprint does NOT tax its customers. Taxes are determined by the government. Sprint collects money from its customers on behalf of the government in exactly the same way as grocery stores collect sales tax. These taxes appear on the bill as government taxes and fees. The sentence 'Sprint will be changing its' taxation process in April..." is ludicrous. The fact that a Sprint representative thinks that Sprint has control over its customers taxes is painful. Sprint has no taxation process. They have no ability to assess taxes. They are REQUIRED to collect government taxes in a manner and at a rate at which they have no control. Sprint is responsible for its own taxes and that is their problem. They can and have increased their surcharges to cover paying their taxes, and they also spell out in their terms and conditions that surcharges are not taxes. Yes, PART of their change has something to do with insurance and premium content. Victor, you do not know how Sprint calculates their surcharges. All you know is what the rest of us know which is that Sprint has changed their rates. Allow me to connect the dots for everyone so it is plain and simple.

Here is the message as it appears on some or all of our bills (bold and underlined are mine):
"Effective 4/1/13, Sprint will be changing tax systems for charges such as insurance & premium content. This update may cause an increase of taxes and/or surcharges on your bill for these products. For details of taxes & surcharges, visit sprint.com/taxesandfees ."

Here is part of the terms and conditions:
"We may change any part of the Agreement at any time, including, but not limited to, rates, charges, how we calculate charges, discounts, coverage, technologies used to provide services, or your terms of Service."

Sprint provided notice that they are changing the way they calculate charges. Therefore, they are changing the agreement. Here is the rest of the paragraph:
"We will provide you notice of material changes?and we may provide you notice of non-material changes?in a manner consistent with this Agreement (see "Providing Notice To Each Other Under The Agreement" section). If a change we make to the Agreement is material and has a material adverse effect on Services under your Term Commitment, you may terminate each line of Service materially affected without incurring an Early Termination Fee only if you: (a) call us within 30 days after the effective date of the change; and (b) specifically advise us that you wish to cancel Services because of a material change to the Agreement that we have made. If you do not cancel Service within 30 days of the change, an Early Termination Fee will apply if you terminate Services before the end of any applicable Term Commitment."

The only part left is showing that the material change is adverse. If a customer's bill goes up, then it is adverse. Plain and simple.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

HERE IS MORE:

By far, the reason why most people are not successful in getting out ETF-free is because they try to make too many arguments at the same time.
Piece it out and it'll be less confusing/frustrating.

premium content:
premium content is a service outlined in my contract. Although I may not have made use of it yet, I intended to.
You have changed this service in a manner that I don't agree with.

surcharge and taxes:
I understand what surcharges and taxes are and how they're used by Sprint. Changes to surcharges, however,
constitute a change of contract because they are arbitrarily imposed by Sprint on the customer. Notwithstanding the use of these
surcharges for government-related expenses, surcharges are not required to be collected.

cancellation:
I understand that Sprint will try to impose an ETF if I cancel my contract, but I will be disputing the validity of this ETF.
For now, please go ahead and cancel my contract with the ETFs for each line.

contract subject to change at any time:
I understand that Sprint can change its contract at any time, but I don't have to agree with the change.

ETF waiver:
According to Sprint's Terms and Conditions under subheading "When You Don't Have To Pay An Early Termination Fee,"
I do not have to pay an ETF when changes to my contract are materially adverse. I consider the surcharge base changes,
effective 4/1/13, to be a materially adverse change of contract because I don't like when people change my contract as they wish.
It is entirely irrelevant how this change affects my bill. Again, I simply find it materially adverse if Sprint changes
my contract in any way.

Each topic above is already elaborated. Unless you truly feel the need to add more and risk being more
confusing/prone to fallacious counter-arguments, just say, in your own words, what I described above.
Remember to come in with ONE specific intent, e.g. to inquire about the change, cancel, or request an ETF-waiver.
Do each one with DIFFERENT representatives. If you don't get the results you wish, or you know you're speaking to someone incompetent,
don't spend any calories and just hang up and call again.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Terms and Conditions under Our Right To Change The Agreement & Your Related Rights
" . . . If a change we make to the Agreement is material and has a material adverse effect on Services under your Term Commitment,
you may terminate each line of Service materially affected without incurring an Early Termination Fee only if you: (a) call
us within 30 days after the effective date of the change; and (b) specifically advise us that you wish to cancel Services because
of a material change to the Agreement that we have made."

Your stance: the purchase of premium content services was partly the reason why you signed up for a contract with Sprint
in the first place. Increasing surcharges for premium content is tantamount to increasing costs for texting, which
is a materially change. Both services are arguably "optional," but again, these services are the reason why you initially
went along with Sprint. You have not made any premium content purchases yet, but you intended to do so in the future.
Changes to this service is a material change because Sprint has increased the cost for you to purchase these premium contents.
(redundant in a few places but it serves, rather poorly, to emphasize the point)

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"I noticed on my last bill that effective 4/1 the taxes and base surcharges would be changing. I called in quite a few times about this
to get details and was only able to find out that my surcharges would for sure be changing but not what they would be changing to.
Rather than wait to be billed some new unknown amount I decided to cancel my service beforehand. I do not agree with the changes
made to my T&C and feel they are materially adverse. I think any change to my T&C is a materially adverse change as I do not like companies
changing prior agreements whenever they like. It states in my T&C that due to a materially adverse change I can cancel my service without an ETF fee."

mrmw

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
An invaluable and lucid explication. Thank you.

My March 15 Sprint bill stated, as above
"Effective 4/1/13, Sprint will be changing tax systems for charges such as insurance & premium content. This update may cause an increase of taxes and/or surcharges on your bill for these products. For details of taxes & surcharges, visit sprint.com/taxesandfees ."

The March 15 Surcharges were $6.48. The April 15 Surcharges are $6.40. Sigh.This is the opposite of a materially adverse change--it's downright beneficial. Sigh. I'm stuck.

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Same here I went from$11.46 to $11.35

Does that constitute a material change

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

yosmar537

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
it should, but only changing part of your contract is a material change and if you manage the situation right, you should be able to walk out without the painful ETF! Good luck!

chris portillo1

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Spoke to sprint exec and she stated that surcharges are not a material change because it states that they can change surcharge rate at any time. :'(

Last edited:

chris portillo1

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Tried this but customer rep stated that changes in surcharges are subject to change and are not materially adverse because it states that they are subject to change. Any advice on how to proceed?

Last edited:

chad783

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Keep sticking with the legal terms of the contract. I used it and I am out of my contract. ETF free. Try the online chat person. Try calling. But keep trying. You have 30 days after the tax increase to get out of your contract otherwise you are locked in.

brockalocka

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
Called Sprint and spent at least 30 minutes on the phone. Ended up talking to a supervisor who told me surcharges have their own section and thus are not materially adverse. Even after I commented several times that any increase in surcharges represents a change of contract because they are arbitrarily imposed by Sprint and any increase in surcharges is materially adverse to my monthly bill. For future reference, if supervisor Michelle answers, call back later. She also proceeded to tell me that these contracts are written by lawyers - who would of thought! Any more advice? I was even reading straight from what yosmar posted.

For more info: Sprint Tax & Surcharge Base Change...Potential ETF free way to leave? 03-13-2013 - Slickdeals.net

Last edited:

yosmar537

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
you have to keep trying, i spent 3 straight days talking to people there, stick to what i posted earlier and if the CSR you are talking to is not willing to help just hang up and try again, do not argue with them, be nice and you would get off your contract just as I did, good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress