The qHD Screen: A PenTile LCD?

eallan

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
As far as I know, it's a different type of pentile. I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt and will return it if it sucks.

Technology

It is the RGBW type, rather than RGBG.

ka3yan

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Well, like eallan said, if it sucks, I'll take it back. I wasn't buying it for the display, so it probably won't be a deal breaker for me. I would love the display of the iPhone 4 (+.5") on the Atrix, but I think I'll be fine with what we get.

textiaac

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
As long as it is par with the inspire it will be fine, I just saw the inspire today and the screen quality was more than adequate.

ka3yan

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Dang, I'm actually quite disappointed with the camera. Darnit. I mean, I'm not buying the phone for its camera, but when compared to the iPhone 4, it really suffers. It almost looks like maybe there was a fingerprint smudge over the lens. It is really fuzzy and the blacks are not black at all. Poo!!

btgrave

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Let's get it out of the way now, no phone out there so far has beaten the iPhone4's camera except for the Nokia N8.
It's all down to sensors and no one is really pushing that now but instead tricking consumers by just having bigger megapixels.

Also, if you really need a good camera for pictures, just invest in a simple point and shoot or an actual camera.

blopez24

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Let's get it out of the way now, no phone out there so far has beaten the iPhone4's camera except for the Nokia N8.
It's all down to sensors and no one is really pushing that now but instead tricking consumers by just having bigger megapixels.

Also, if you really need a good camera for pictures, just invest in a simple point and shoot or an actual camera.

Agreed. I think cell phone cameras are good for that sudden picture but if you want good pictures and are going to an event nothing beats an actual digital camera. I dont care about the phone camera, as long as it takes pictures when its not supposed to when im doing things im not supposed to be doing. ;)

textiaac

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

+1 Megapixels are secondary to other parameters in cameras.

corneliusm

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I think the iPhone's camera is oversatured. Sure, it looks good, but so would almost any cameraphone with a couple filters applied.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I think the iPhone's camera is oversatured. Sure, it looks good, but so would almost any cameraphone with a couple filters applied.

Not true. The ****-tastic camera on the MyTouch 4G won't look any better with filters applied. The iPhone's lens is just straight up BETTER than most anything on the market right now.

dtboos

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There's really no excuse for a device as high end as the Atrix to have such a poor camera. I know the quality will not match a good point and shoot, but the technology to make it good is there and readily available.

The truth is, people rely on their smartphones to be their "everything" in their pocket, and this includes pictures. People take their phones everywhere, and should be able to take pictures when the moments strick without carrying a secondary device around all the time. I only take pictures sometimes, but I do expect them to be of decent, dare I say 'good' quality (for a phone) when I buy a $500+ device. Even my N1 has a better camera quality than this.

Devices this high end should be quality through and through.

Reactions: ka3yan

corneliusm

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm still reserving judgement until I see more pics. My Nexus One's camera is blurry- you have to make sure your subject and hand are still, so I'm hoping that the Atrix's sensors and ISO speeds are fast enough. I'll definitely miss the tap to focus though :(

SirGeorgeKillian

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I have been pleased with the camera on my 3Gs. Ever since my daughter was born, I found myself taking a bunch of pics, I think there are 1500 or so on my phone now. I'm sure that the atrix will take better pics than the 3Gs does, so it may not be the best of everything in the industry, it is still better than what I got. Let the iPhone crowd have the better camera, while we are on our faster, larger capacity phones doing things that would make Steve Jobs cringe we will remember who made the better choice. I for one am fed up with mother apple.

eallan

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
And if you are really buying a phone for its camera, then go get the N8........oh wait, you won't cause then you'll have more things to complain about. I suggest you go make your own phone and THEN complain about whether or not it is feasible to have everything you want in it.
Just about the dumbest argument you can make. So i can't complain about anything unless I make one that is better? Glad you're not in charge of product development anywhere.

p.s. lens aren't the problem. It is the sensors. To have better pictures, you need better and bigger sensors, but when manufacturers put those in a smartphone, then you'll be complaining about how thick the phone is. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Because the iPhone 4 is SO thick right?

dtboos

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
And if you are really buying a phone for its camera, then go get the N8........oh wait, you won't cause then you'll have more things to complain about. I suggest you go make your own phone and THEN complain about whether or not it is feasible to have everything you want in it.

If you want to say that your phone can do better pictures, then go ahead, cause there are many other factors involved besides just the phone...... unless you actually get the same person to take the same photo at the same time without any discrepancy one way or another, you'll never have the perfect comparison toll.

p.s. lens aren't the problem. It is the sensors. To have better pictures, you need better and bigger sensors, but when manufacturers put those in a smartphone, then you'll be complaining about how thick the phone is. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Sigh. Don't get so defensive. And yes, I can complain about a crappy feature that was crippled on a high end device, and am still able to do so without having a phone tooling factory in my basement. The Atrix could have had great optics, Motorola chose to cut corners here. The iPhone 4 is not thick, and its camera is amazing. And no I don't like the iPhone before you get into a 'well then go buy an iPhone' tizzy.

Did you look at the article on Anandtech? That picture should have been pretty clear, and the ones you posted, maybe two were decent.

The point is, there is NO reason for a high end phone to have such crappy optics anymore. End of story.

Reactions: Kaspern

ka3yan

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
The argument that if you want a good photograph...buy a camera, is way old. With phones now offering cameras as good or better than some point-and-shoots, the argument is moot. Who carries there camera and their phone with them everywhere they go (that isn't a reporter or professional photog)? Not too many people. If when my phone comes, I'm not completely satisfied with the quality of the camera, I'm sending it back.

I'm not a brand snob. I wanted a phone with Android because I've never had one. I picked the Atrix because it was the best that AT&T offered. If I'm not happy with it, I'll just wait a little while longer and maybe get the iPhone 5. I want something that I'll be happy with for the next two years.

textiaac

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
The argument that if you want a good photograph...buy a camera, is way old. With phones now offering cameras as good or better than some point-and-shoots, the argument is moot. Who carries there camera and their phone with them everywhere they go (that isn't a reporter or professional photog)? Not too many people. If when my phone comes, I'm not completely satisfied with the quality of the camera, I'm sending it back.

Doesn't tegra support up to 12 megapixel stills? Its really stupid that they put a 5 mp sensor in there because they could have really easily done better.

EDIT: http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra-2.html

NVIDIA said:
Image Signal Processor (ISP) — Take sharp brilliant pictures with support for up to 12 MP cameras. The integrated image signal processor (ISP) includes proprietary algorithms that enable image and video stabilization, face tracking, advanced trick modes, light balance, edge enhancement, and noise reduction to deliver real-time photo enhancement capabilities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress