4G data plans

Lason

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
ok so my wife works in wireless collections and she was telling me my data plan was probably going to go up in price. I told her no way, I was keeping my unlimited data I have had for years (still Apple data plan from before my N1).

So I call ATT enterprise and this lady says my plan will stay the same and verified its the apple plan still.

My wife calls back and said I need to check again. I call enterprise again and was told I will loose my unlimited because its iphone plan and Im going to another phone, even though she can see I have been on a Nexus One for a year now. I hung with her frustrated and told her I needed to get back to work.

She called me back a few minutes later and said she looked into it and said I can keep my unlimited but I would have to pay the $30 I pay now for apple plan plus $45 4g plan so $75 total for just data. I told her there is no way anyone would pay that. Im almost positive she was incorrect but I told her I would activate the phone, give it a week and check my plan again to see what it looks like. If its through the roof Ill take the phone back and switch carriers.

Sorry for the rant but everyone keep an eye on your data plans after activation!

btgrave

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Your wife is wrong (but you prob should'nt tell her so in her face for other reasons).
You will be able to keep your unlimited plan when you go to Atrix, or any other non iphone smartphones UNLESS you get the tethering plan, which is the $45 plan. Otherwise, your unlimited data plan will cost the same price you are paying now and will carry over and if they don't do it, they are wrong and you should and must make a case about it.

Effington

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
This is why I recommend going in-store - I think experience with actual reps might me better than the impersonal phone call. My current plan is Blackberry Enterprise with unlimited data for $45/month. I was told I (and anyone with an unlimited plan) would get to keep it and since I don't need enterprise, my unlimited data will drop to $40/month.

A lot of folks were (or are still) worried that Vz would charge extra for LTE data plans - technically that is a different technology. But HSPA+ is NOT 4G in my opinion and should not cost extra. AT&T isn't stupid enough to do that as they watch customers flock to Verizon's iPhone, especially if they're not charging extra for the vastly superior LTE plans.

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
AT&T is keeping the data plans the same price as the previous 3G plans. $45 is tethering. If your not gonna tether, your fine. Or better yet, Root it and tether and you should still be fine lol

textiaac

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Your wife is wrong (but you prob should'nt tell her so in her face for other reasons).
You will be able to keep your unlimited plan when you go to Atrix, or any other non iphone smartphones UNLESS you get the tethering plan, which is the $45 plan. Otherwise, your unlimited data plan will cost the same price you are paying now and will carry over and if they don't do it, they are wrong and you should and must make a case about it.

+1 Keep women in the kitchen and do business in store not over the phone.

Lason

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Im just reporting what I was told by 3 different people in wireless. I believe Ill stay on my current plan and price but with all the memo's flying around ATT right now its hard to tell for sure.

Just throwing out a FYI and a suggestion to call in on your plan pricing after activating your Atrix.

megamanexent

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
She's wrong/right. Wrong in that she should know that you can't have TWO different data plans for ONE phone. She is right by that you do lose the iPhone Data plan, but gain the Smartphone Personal HSPA+ Unlimited plan for $30 a month.

So data stayed the same for you, but Bill Coding changed, hence why your wife was concerned.

As a last possible measure (which you have already taken advantage of) threaten to leave and see what MAGIC the CS can do if you do lose you unlimited plan. In your threat do mention a certain phone made by a Fruit (read: not Blackberry) and how you see RED.

Effington

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering why I was told my unlimited data plan would be $40/month instead of $30. I know I pay $45 now for the Blackberry Enterprise plan, but I think that's with an extra $15/month for BES support.

If I get to keep unlimited data, shouldn't my plan be $30/month instead of $40? I just want to see if I have an argument when I go to pickup my phone.

megamanexent

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering why I was told my unlimited data plan would be $40/month instead of $30. I know I pay $45 now for the Blackberry Enterprise plan, but I think that's with an extra $15/month for BES support.

If I get to keep unlimited data, shouldn't my plan be $30/month instead of $40? I just want to see if I have an argument when I go to pickup my phone.

Yes you do , it 30 for unlimited, 45 for enterprise unlimited(don't quote me on this because i cant confirm the enterprise pricing, but I can confirm the Unlimited pricing).

Effington

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes you do , it 30 for unlimited, 45 for enterprise unlimited(don't quote me on this because i cant confirm the enterprise pricing, but I can confirm the Unlimited pricing).

Hmm, maybe they jack up the pricing of data plans for those of us with corporate discounts. Wouldn't that be a bunch of bullfart?

textiaac

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, maybe they jack up the pricing of data plans for those of us with corporate discounts. Wouldn't that be a bunch of bullfart?

No i am on a premier plan and will have 30 dollar unlimited but others in my plan who can't grandfather it have the option of the 45 dollar unlimited plan.

Last edited:

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site

Are you on an individual plan or family plan? Is it possible this is the data + texting plan? Seeing as how the website is down I can't check

Effington

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Are you on an individual plan or family plan? Is it possible this is the data + texting plan? Seeing as how the website is down I can't check

It most definitely does not include texting - I only pay for the $5/200 per month plan because I simply cannot justify $20/month for unlimited texting (which to me is one of the biggest rip offs in the entire retail world).

The plan also is not family. When I got my blackberry 2 years ago, it was $30/month for unlimited data - but I got the Enterprise plan for an addition $15 to use it with the BES.

When I got the Atrix, they said I got to keep unlimited data but it would be $40/month instead of $45. I didn't really think twice about it then and maybe that does include something else, so I'll have to see when I pickup the phone - tomorrow!

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
It most definitely does not include texting - I only pay for the $5/200 per month plan because I simply cannot justify $20/month for unlimited texting (which to me is one of the biggest rip offs in the entire retail world).

J F'ing C ! Calm down catfish! I was just asking only to try and help you find out why you are paying $40 for something everyone else is paying $30 for.

ka3yan

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
The only "enterprise" plan I know of is for BES. I'm not sure why you'd have to pay $10 more than everyone else, but I also don't know how they can grandfather an unlimited plan when going from BES to regular unlimited. I mean, technically you're changing plans. It was my understanding that if you change plans, you lose the unlimited. Either way, I feel like you shouldn't have to pay $10 more a month. Of course, I would totally pay it if it meant I could keep my unlimited. It would suck, but I'd pay it.

Effington

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
@jess.hickey - yeah, it's not you... the texting plans are a sore spot for me just because I think that it's one of the many ways wireless carrier can price gouge us. I appreciate your suggestion though. I hope at&t will offer an everything unlimited plan someday...

@ka3yan - I was specifically told that anyone with an unlimited plan keeps it, regardless of Blackberry, iPhone, Android or anything in between. I know a lot of people have been told differently, especially over the phone - and online orders have really messed with people's plans. But... maybe that's how I get to keep unlimited, an extra $10 month.