03-10-2011 12:00 PM
56 123
tools
    Sounds like a troll in this forum.

What does anyone really care? The Phone is a lot snappier and it moves quick enough. I have no problems out here in Raleigh. Its quick enough for me.
    Lots of people care, that's why it's mentioned in every review. When you advertise a device as 4G you expect it to be faster than a 3G device and when the speed is the same and in some cases slower than a 3G device... well you would start to feel ripped off.

i don't see a troll anywhere. nothing is perfect and there is absolutely nothing wrong with people pointing out the cons of a device. With the marketing of it as 4g there is absolutely nothing wrong with people who are in supposed 4g areas to be expecting 4g. while it may be quick enough for you, that doesn't mean it is for everyone. People who automatically call people trolls for complaining about the potential negatives of a device are usually those trying to defend their purchase and keep themselves from feeling any buyers remorse and are usually just as annoying as the trolls themselves.
    I agree with you, except that I wouldn't call it a con of the device, more that of AT&T's network. I have yet to see anyone report 4g speeds on either this or the inspire.
    02-22-2011 03:01 PM
    No trolls here. just hope meeting reality on data speeds. AT&T is really overmarketing right now with the hype. They are not even delivering decent 3g speeds with HSPA+ so a lot of folks are going to be upset.
    The speeds are def. not 4G. But the phone is snappy enough to make one think they have 4G speeds if there not into tech stuff. Thats what I think really.
    02-22-2011 03:07 PM
    The speeds are def. not 4G. But the phone is snappy enough to make one think they have 4G speeds if there not into tech stuff. Thats what I think really.
    Yea as long as it stays over 1 mbps with 2335 benchark score then I will remain happy.

Sent from my Atrix 4G using Tapatalk Pro.
    Terrigno likes this.
    02-22-2011 03:09 PM
    Yea as long as it stays over 1 mbps with 2335 benchark score then I will remain happy.

Sent from my Atrix 4G using Tapatalk Pro.
    I agree. One has to admit the Duel Core Processor is screaming when it moves. I have never used a faster Android phone ever.
    02-22-2011 03:13 PM
    Lots of people care, that's why it's mentioned in every review. When you advertise a device as 4G you expect it to be faster than a 3G device and when the speed is the same and in some cases slower than a 3G device... well you would start to feel ripped off.

I agree with you, except that I wouldn't call it a con of the device, more that of AT&T's network. I have yet to see anyone report 4g speeds on either this or the inspire.
    exactly. i don't have much to complain about with the device. my disappointment is with AT&T marketing this as 4g. T-Mobile's HSPA + runs circles around AT&T's. I'm ok with the download speeds around 3.5 which is what i'm getting I just don't like them marketing it as 4g. And I'm definitely not ok with them disabling HSUPA in their android devices.

In the last year I've gone from the 3gs to N900 to Nexus One to Dinc to iPhone 4 to Evo to Droid X and now the Atrix and this device is definitely on a different level in terms of hardware. It is the network that is the biggest drawback.
    02-22-2011 03:24 PM
    True, the speeds are definitely good enough to please the average person. Of course most of us here are "into tech stuff" so naturally one of the first things most of us are going to do is run a speed test. Most of those who aren't "into tech stuff" probably aren't the ones that were salivating at this phone and buying it the first day.

Hopefully the ongoing backhaul improvements will allow the Atrix to eventually realize higher download speeds. The most unfortunate thing though is AT&T disabling HSUPA causing the device to cap out around .3 mbps on the upload side. This is very frustrating and really the only thing that bothers me.
    02-22-2011 03:28 PM
    No offense, but you're the exact type of person AT&T markets for.

I've tested Verizon's LTE service, it's up and running, FULLY, covering about 1/3rd the US population, and it completely blows away anything AT&T and T-Mobile's "4G" network, and Sprint's WiMax 4G network offers.

When I see a 4G device, I expect it to do things my old 3G does and more, such as download stuff faster.. and when it doesnt, I question, not tuck tail and walk away.(I'm not saying you do either, but being ok with 3G speeds on a device labeled "4G" is not acceptable.)

I'm not a troll in the least. What I hate is the fact that AT&T and T-Mobile are confusing the **** out of people and no one is calling them out for it.
    aggie likes this.
    02-22-2011 03:28 PM
    No offense, but you're the exact type of person AT&T markets for.

I've tested Verizon's LTE service, it's up and running, FULLY, covering about 1/3rd the US population, and it completely blows away anything AT&T and T-Mobile's "4G" network, and Sprint's WiMax 4G network offers.

When I see a 4G device, I expect it to do things my old 3G does and more, such as download stuff faster.. and when it doesnt, I question, not tuck tail and walk away.(I'm not saying you do either, but being ok with 3G speeds on a device labeled "4G" is not acceptable.)

I'm not a troll in the least. What I hate is the fact that AT&T and T-Mobile are confusing the **** out of people and no one is calling them out for it.
    Well and as I've said in other threads as well as over at CrackBerry, AT&T was the one whining about T-Mobile calling their HSPA+ 4G and when nobody paid attention to their whining, they do what they are best at, deceive more than the original deceiver.

They did the same thing with Verizon. They whined about Verizon's commercials being deceptive and when nobody paid attention to their whining, they started the deceptive commercials about "covering 97% of all Americans" when Verizon was talking about the 3G coverage, not total voice coverage.
    02-22-2011 03:53 PM
    Like I've said 4G LTE on Verizon is the only *TRUE* 4G we'll see for awhile.

I am getting 30Mbps down, 8Mbps up and 30-40ms response.. now THAT's 4G.
    and that is *ALSO* very unusual. Tried Verizon's LTE in the Cleveland, NYC, and Dallas areas and all 3 sucked (capped out at like 6Mb/2Mb at all 3).

I'd be very impressed if I saw a screenshot of a screentest or something from you...
    02-22-2011 04:02 PM
    and that is *ALSO* very unusual. Tried Verizon's LTE in the Cleveland, NYC, and Dallas areas and all 3 sucked (capped out at like 6Mb/2Mb at all 3).

I'd be very impressed if I saw a screenshot of a screentest or something from you...
    not sure where you were in the Dallas area, you may have been on the fringe area of a tower but I've seen speeds around 11-13 mbps average and up to 20 mbps.
    02-22-2011 04:09 PM
    All carriers are evil. All dislike you but like your money. They could care less which carrier you deflect to.

It's all about finding one less evil that suits your needs.
    02-22-2011 04:12 PM
    not sure where you were in the Dallas area, you may have been on the fringe area of a tower but I've seen speeds around 11-13 mbps average and up to 20 mbps.
    Well I was hanging out around the Airport for the most part when I was using the internet. I was stationed at a base outside of San Antonio and on the way back up to Cleveland I was at Dallas airport for about 5 hours. I was sitting in the U.S.O. with an LTE card on my macbook pro and about the highest I saw was 6-8Mbps download. About the same I've seen every other place I've used it.

Not that I'm complaining...When I do traveling I'm glad to have that for sure. Verizon has *much* better "area" penetration. What I mean by that is when you're driving across the country there is a lot of "area" between the cities. With my AT&T phone I get perfectly fine service for voice and basic data, but once you're about an hour outside of any city you drop to Edge speeds pretty quickly. With Verizon I maintain 3G just about anywhere.

As for the Atrix...it's true that AT&T doesn't have 4G service out yet...it's expected by late summer or fall. I understand there are a ton of phones coming out before then, but I'm glad to have this absolute *beast* of a phone now that will work with the upgraded system later (because HSPA+ will be heavily integrated into every area by the time LTE is ready).

Most importantly: This is the very first phone I've *EVER* owned that can make use of my home connection. I only have a 16Mb connection, but the highest I've ever seen over WiFi on a phone is like 9Mb in a speed test. This thing just tested at 15.2Mbps (considering I'm currently connected at around 15.5Mbps that's pretty insane). On top of that, it actually loads websites faster than my iPhone4 on both WiFi *AND* 3G. Over 3G I just tested the Atrix at 3Mb/1Mb and my iPhone at 4.5Mb/1.8Mb. Loading websites? Atrix beats the iPhone every single time (by quite a large margin). Most likely it's due to the ability to render the pages quickly...but point is the end-user experience is better with the Atrix, despite having a technically slower connection.
    02-22-2011 04:19 PM
    Well I will chime in from the Twin Cities, data speeds are slow. My wife's iphone 4 runs laps around this phone.

Motorola built an excellent phone. at&t's network is slow and unreliable.

I am definitely not happy. at&t is deceiving the public. I will make sure I tell everyone how disappointed I continue to be with the network.
    02-22-2011 04:19 PM
    Well I was hanging out around the Airport for the most part when I was using the internet. I was stationed at a base outside of San Antonio and on the way back up to Cleveland I was at Dallas airport for about 5 hours. I was sitting in the U.S.O. with an LTE card on my macbook pro and about the highest I saw was 6-8Mbps download. About the same I've seen every other place I've used it.

Not that I'm complaining...When I do traveling I'm glad to have that for sure. Verizon has *much* better "area" penetration. What I mean by that is when you're driving across the country there is a lot of "area" between the cities. With my AT&T phone I get perfectly fine service for voice and basic data, but once you're about an hour outside of any city you drop to Edge speeds pretty quickly. With Verizon I maintain 3G just about anywhere.

As for the Atrix...it's true that AT&T doesn't have 4G service out yet...it's expected by late summer or fall. I understand there are a ton of phones coming out before then, but I'm glad to have this absolute *beast* of a phone now that will work with the upgraded system later (because HSPA+ will be heavily integrated into every area by the time LTE is ready).

Most importantly: This is the very first phone I've *EVER* owned that can make use of my home connection. I only have a 16Mb connection, but the highest I've ever seen over WiFi on a phone is like 9Mb in a speed test. This thing just tested at 15.2Mbps (considering I'm currently connected at around 15.5Mbps that's pretty insane). On top of that, it actually loads websites faster than my iPhone4 on both WiFi *AND* 3G. Over 3G I just tested the Atrix at 3Mb/1Mb and my iPhone at 4.5Mb/1.8Mb. Loading websites? Atrix beats the iPhone every single time (by quite a large margin). Most likely it's due to the ability to render the pages quickly...but point is the end-user experience is better with the Atrix, despite having a technically slower connection.
    agree with just about everything you said regarding verizon, at&t and the Atrix. The wifi on this thing is amazing compared to all my other devices. The only one on par with it is the iPad. Perhaps dual band wifi makes the difference? Seeing how this is the only phone I know of that has dual band wifi and can take advantage of the 5ghz band. My iPad always connects to my router on the 5ghz band and seems to fare much better as there is much more interference on 2.4ghz. I've seen the same results today with the Atrix.

Regarding LTE in Dallas, where you are must have been on the fringe. Still great speeds compared to the competition but typical speeds that i've seen are much like what is in the blog post below from dallasnews.com. The blogger compared speeds from mobile devices at the Super Bowl at Cowboys Stadium with Verizon LTE of course faring the best.

I'm at Cowboys Stadium for the Super Bowl, monitoring wireless coverage | Technology Blog | dallasnews.com
    02-22-2011 04:26 PM
    Ok, quite honestly, who CARES about Verizon and their LTE in a forum for the ATRIX??

And BACK TO THE SUBJECT, I just picked up an Atrix as well, and there is SOMETHING wrong here. My download speeds are 2g speeds, I am getting about 0.4Mbs on average. My wife, with her Inspire is getting about 3Mbs.

Truly something is wrong, and I am going to make sure AT&T (and if they give me any gruff, every customer in the store) hears about this tomorrow. Phone is great other than that.

Now go over to Verizon forums if you want to talk LTE...
    02-22-2011 05:41 PM
    Ok, quite honestly, who CARES about Verizon and their LTE in a forum for the ATRIX??

And BACK TO THE SUBJECT, I just picked up an Atrix as well, and there is SOMETHING wrong here. My download speeds are 2g speeds, I am getting about 0.4Mbs on average. My wife, with her Inspire is getting about 3Mbs.

Truly something is wrong, and I am going to make sure AT&T (and if they give me any gruff, every customer in the store) hears about this tomorrow. Phone is great other than that.

Now go over to Verizon forums if you want to talk LTE...
    Just because it's a forum for the Atrix doesn't mean we can't use comparisons to other 4G networks. This specific thread talks about the data speeds on the Atrix. I was bringing up comparisons to AT&T's fake 4G and hoping people realize that they aren't going to magically see better bandwidth on these AT&T devices.

If I wanted to talk about flying donkeys, I can. There's no rules saying I must reference ONLY a thread's subject in any given thread.
    02-22-2011 05:46 PM
    Like I've said 4G LTE on Verizon is the only *TRUE* 4G we'll see for awhile.

I am getting 30Mbps down, 8Mbps up and 30-40ms response.. now THAT's 4G.
    I dont know what you're smoking but I am getting 4-8mbps (6mbps on average) consistently using my EVO on Sprints 4G Network in most 4G markets, I travel all over the country 3 weeks out of the month. BTW, thats not just at the airport, I have been around the city and some our the suburbs / outskirts and the speed is pretty good.
    02-22-2011 05:47 PM
    I was in Dana Point, CA last week and seeing 4-6Mbps on my internal 3G card on my laptop.. that's with AT&T's service.

If carriers are all claiming 4G is about speed..than Verizon is the only network with a true 4G network.. it's consistantly given me 20-30Mbps everywhere I go.

I'll get screenshots tomorrow..
    02-22-2011 05:57 PM
    Just because it's a forum for the Atrix doesn't mean we can't use comparisons to other 4G networks. This specific thread talks about the data speeds on the Atrix. I was bringing up comparisons to AT&T's fake 4G and hoping people realize that they aren't going to magically see better bandwidth on these AT&T devices.

If I wanted to talk about flying donkeys, I can. There's no rules saying I must reference ONLY a thread's subject in any given thread.
    True, there are no rules.. Now out of curiosity, how much are you being paid by Verizon to post how much better LTE is every where, in particular on discussions that has nothing to do with it? Just wondering if it is enough to maybe get in on.

And the issue was not even seeing 4G speeds, it was about an obvious bug / flaw in the phone or in the settings that AT&T put on the phones that pushes download speeds into effective EDGE speeds.
    02-22-2011 05:57 PM
    True, there are no rules.. Now out of curiosity, how much are you being paid by Verizon to post how much better LTE is every where, in particular on discussions that has nothing to do with it? Just wondering if it is enough to maybe get in on.

And the issue was not even seeing 4G speeds, it was about an obvious bug / flaw in the phone or in the settings that AT&T put on the phones that pushes download speeds into effective EDGE speeds.
    I'm not a Verizon rep, I'm not getting Verizon kickbacks at all. My beef is SOLELY with AT&T and T-Mobile calling their HSPA+ network's "4G" and then confusing the heck out of consumers into thinking that they are going to magically see faster speeds going from an iPhone 4 to one of their so-called "4G" devices.

My beef is that most of the blog world is completely blinded by this fact. I'm anti-carrier.. I hate them all.. what kills me is when I see people go "I need help with my iPhone 4G"...

As of right now, Verizon's 4G LTE is the lesser of the 4G evil monikers..
    mron71 likes this.
    02-22-2011 06:01 PM
    @hotleadsingerguy - look at your network settings. My understanding from folks who worked on the LTE network is that you can get the speeds sniffs is talking about 20-30 Mbps down by changing some network settings. Not sure about that on mac.

As Far as att goes, their 3g network was crap, so what makes any of you think their 4g will be any differnent? Also will the atrix support LTE when att starts rolling it out in the swcond half of this year?

(also from what I understand VZW bought most of the 700MHz spectrum so att's LTE network will not be much better in scale then their 3g network.)

Also I ran speed test from an Inspire HD in manhatten with 4 bars of H+ and got less than 1 Mbps down. That's pretty pathetic.
    02-22-2011 06:35 PM
    I get this on AVERAGE.

That is with 2 bars here in downtown Irvine, CA

When I go home, I get full 4 bars/100% signal where it nearly doubles, 30Mbps down and 7-8Mbps up.

Verizon LTE BLOWS away any other "4G".. plain and simple.

here's another one I just ran,

03-04-2011 05:10 PM
    I get about 4 times the speed on my iPhone 4 than my Atrix did. My Inspire would get nearly twice the speed as my Atrix. All running on Att's network at the same spot with no wifi invloved. Yes agree they were not good
    03-04-2011 07:22 PM
    I'm wondering how fast sniffs eats through that data cap. My average isn't that high. Closer to 6-8 megs down. But not having a cap is more important for me.
    03-05-2011 07:47 AM
    I chew through it quickly.. but I have a 10GB cap and this is on a corporate account..
    03-05-2011 12:50 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD