using droid x battery on atrix

octavian96

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Probably the dumbest question ever, but I am a guy who likes to carry around a spare battery in my work bag and a spare battery with me when I go out at night (i.e. wake up at 9am, use it all day and wanna go out on a fri night..it'll obvi die around 8pm so I need to bring a spare battery to last all night).

So, I ordered two BH5X batteries (used by droid x) that costed $5 each. They are 1300mah as opposed to the 1950mha that this beast is.. thing is, the BH6X (ones atrix use) were like $28, so I figured i'd just get a few of the smaller batteries.

My question: Is the Atrix "backwords" capable in terms of it being able to handle a battery with less mAh? I am assuming it would just last less time, but I wanted to be sure it wouldn't do any "damage" or allow the phone to operate less "powerfully".

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I just checked my BH5X battery that came with my Droid X & it says 1500/1540 mAh. I wonder why yours says 1300mAh? Hopefully they aren't cheap knock-offs that someone just put an official Motorola battery sticker on. The $5 price tag makes me wonder too.

Assuming it is an actual BH5X battery I would think it would work just fine because before the Atrix was even announced I bought the extended battery for the Droid X & they are the same as they are putting in the Atrix now...BH6X.

dLo GSR

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
the battery capacity (mAh) shouldn't matter compatibility-wise. if they are the same size, voltage and max current and whatever other specs, theoretically it should be fine.

hellosailor

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Any Motorola BH6X battery will be the same battery, doesn't matter which phone it is sold for or what model phone is listed on the packaging.

Bigger problem is that counterfeit batteries are big business. Some are genuine batteries with a "high capacity" etc. label slapped over the original. Some are totally bogus and fail in one year instead of 3-4. And some overheat and catch fire, even the brand names.

Don't buy 'em from a guy standing on the streetcorner in a trenchcoat.<G>

But if you find a good price on authentic batteries...please share! Or a good "external charger" that takes 4xAA and plugs in to recharge the phone?

nrf

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I bought a BH5X for my Atrix. It's rated at the same voltage and is a snug fit in the Atrix - not loose whatsoever since the fit is based on the phone case holding the edges and cutouts of the battery rather than its width.

Nice having a spare or two without needing to spend as much for a 2nd high capacity BH6X battery.

Given the good specs and fit, what's really the risk here?

hellosailor

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
"what's really the risk here? "
Both batteries are spec'd to fit the same model Droids? (And under the skin, after all, isn't the Atrix just a GSM Droid?<G>)

The risk is, with the smaller battery you'll run out of power while trying to do something really critical, like run life support equipment or jump start a defibrillator, and someone will die!

No. Really. The risk is, some poor schlub who sells batteries won't make as much money this month, and he'll lose the mortgage on his house, his kids won't go to college, his wife will divorce him, and his dog will leave him. All because you tried to save twenty bucks on a battery.

How can you wake up in the morning and live with consequences like that?

<VBG>

"I sense a disturbance in The Force!"