DLNA app pretty much useless on-phone?

dLo GSR

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
has anyone here tried to use the DLNA app to stream from your devices TO your phone? as far as i've seen, ZERO of my video files are compatible once you try to play them on the phone. these range from standard MPGs to DIVX to M4Vs / H264. anyone else have this disappointing experience? i thought most of the common codecs were installed on this thing (maybe they just don't work for the DLNA app)? it makes the whole stream-to-phone thing pretty worthless.

[to clarify, i am speaking STRICTLY on streaming video files from a DLNA device (i.e. my computer) to play on the phone through the DLNA app. there is no downloading of files involved in this process.]

Krak-a-Lakn

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I kind of got the 3gp files that the phone created itself to play via DLNA. But, they were very jerky. It would play a few seconds, then pause to queue up for a few seconds, then play for a few seconds, etc.

Photos seemed to work OK.

Useless in the practical sense- I agree.

uBLeeMe

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I run Twonky server on my Ubuntu server at home. I tried streaming my AVI files whether using the DLNA client or the available Twonky client and all I get is video but never audio. Couldn't seem to understand why (something about codecs and MPEG type video...blah, blah), but via google, this seems to be a known issue unless the file was sync'd/converted to the local device...which seems defeats the point of streaming.

Anyway, all of my searches pointed me towards RockPlayer Lite (I didn't find a pay version), but that wasn't enough since it's just a player. So I found UPnPlay which can connect and browse your DLNA sources AND requires you to select an external player like RockPlayer.

With the combination of these two I get true video streaming to my device.

Regular audio files from my server never suffered any issues when streamed using the DLNA client. Twonky client blew chunks and has since been uninstalled.

Painkiller#CB

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
DLNA sucks for me too. Every time I tried to use it, I get an error message that states "Sorry, internal error happened. The media file cannot be streaming played." I called AT&T. They then transferred me to Motorola. They stated they never heard of that error. They have to re-create my scenario and call me back.