New to Android and just got a Captivate. Root/Rom questions

Tenacious--M

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I am new to Android and just got a Captivate. I understand its pretty glitchy with the Samsung software and am wondering about a couple of things:

1. I hear a lot about rooting. What does this actually do for me? Is this loading a new Rom? Or are those two seperate things?

2. Which is the best software Rom to load on it with the best performance and least glitches? Is getting stock 2.2 Froyo on it an option or does it have to have the TouchWiz interface?

3. Whats the easiest way to load it?

4. Can I save the stock Samsung ROM in case I need to return and replace my captivate (warranty)?
This will definitely get me started in the right direction. Thank you!

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
1. Rooting and flashing/"loading" a ROM are two different things. Rooting just gives you hacking access. Rooting alone doesn't really do anything, in itself. It just gives you permission to do things (like debloat/rename files, flash ROMs, get apps that require root access). All phones from with a stock ROM, but people make custom ROMs which are supposed to speed up the phone and oftentimes are full of tweaks and features.

2. This I can't answer because I don't have a Captivate. I have a Fascinate. Does the Captivate have 2.2 on it yet? Because if you're rooted, you won't get 2.2. It'll try to update it and fail. Someone will come out with a root friendly 2.2 update shortly after. (Or you can unroot/return to stock, get the update, and then re-root.)

3. The easiest way to root has to be in the Captivate ROMs/Hacks. Here is the specific thread:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/t-c...-you-need-know-un-cripple-your-captivate.html

4. Absolutely you can. You'll need to download something called Clockwork Mod, which can seem a bit complicated. But there is an XDA thread that explains it real well. Someone's going to have to point the thread out, bc I don't remember where it is. :x

Tenacious--M

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks so much! So If I root 2.1, to get 2.2 I will need to unroot, do the update and then re-root? Or do I have to actually unroot, return the software to out of the box status, and then re-root?

I guess what Im wondering is, to get 2.2, can I just unroot and keep all my data,settings and upgrade to 2.2, then re-root?

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks so much! So If I root 2.1, to get 2.2 I will need to unroot, do the update and then re-root? Or do I have to actually unroot, return the software to out of the box status, and then re-root?

I guess what Im wondering is, to get 2.2, can I just unroot and keep all my data,settings and upgrade to 2.2, then re-root?

Yes! Once you root the first thing you do, very first thing, is get ROM Manager and Clockworkmod Recovery. It backs up your current ROM so in case anything goes wrong (or, when 2.2 comes out), you can flash back to the way it was. Once you boot into CWM Recovery, then I would recommend getting an app called Titanium Backup which backs up all of your apps and the data within the apps. When you do anything else - debloat, flash a ROM - make another backup in Clockworkmod so you can flash back to that current state if you'd like.

Reactions: Tenacious--M

Tenacious--M

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks PB!

I did the initial clockwork recovery and have installed Titanium. I have debloated and installed some applications. Should I do another clockwork recovery mod? Or no just when I do a Rom change?

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Just run Clockwork when you want to. It's essential when you want to flash a ROM. But I only ran CWM immediately after I rooted, then again after I debloated. Then I ran it to flash the ROM I currently have. I'll run it with this current ROM if I want another one, etc. Entirely up to you. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress