Andromeda nice for first-time flashers

mikeymopar

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
After careful consideration, I finally flashed a new ROM after viewing the ANDROMEDA.WEEBLY.COM site that was mentioned in a review here. Their "How to install" FAQ was easy to follow and had the necessary links posted. 45 minutes later, I had Andromeda up and running. All I can say is: NIIIICE!!!!

A couple of minor snags though. Odin never completed the Master Clear. I don't think it's a problem since the phone was bone stock with only two apps.

Also when your finished loading the ROM & the ROM Manager menu pops up, the developer says to go back. This means press "Go Back to previous menu" and then press "Reboot system now". (thanks Connexion2005 for the video)

Also drag back onto the root of the phone, the original files (Android, Bluetooth, DCIM, and Media) to get your personal info back onto the phone. (again thanks to Connexion2005)

Straight-forward and easy Captivate based ROM upgrade for Cappys that I probably won't remove for another ROM. (It took me three months to "nut up" to flash a new ROM so why mess with a good thing....it's not that bad of a phone now...)

earendil1979

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I had a hard time with that ROM... I had top end up going back to Phoenix cos I couldn't get the contacts and personal data back using TiBU. Started getting force closes if I tried to restore all data... I want to give it another try though.

mikeymopar

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I didn't use TiBU to restore at all (since I don't have anything on the phone). I just dragged the internal sd card files that I saved directly from the phone back to the internal sd card when I finished flashing to get my contacts back in.

I think others like me who don't have much on their phone but would like a quicker phone and to have more control (and to get rid of the AT&T stuff) would hopefully find this as easy to flash as I did. I didn't mind manually reloading RingDroid and Andromeda comes with TiBU. Those were the only two apps that I had.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
You cannot restore data when flashing, or you WILL have problems. Apps + app data only.

Contacts typically come from the linked Gmail address. If you did not link Gmail, that would explain why your contacts didn't show up.

mikeymopar

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
You cannot restore data when flashing, or you WILL have problems. Apps + app data only.

Contacts typically come from the linked Gmail address. If you did not link Gmail, that would explain why your contacts didn't show up.

True, but others out there like me don't even link our contacts through Gmail and just save them to the phone as needed. I'm talking really basic users. I now have a better ROM and my basic info and contacts on the phone without having to worry about linking, kernels, settings, etc. Nice and easy process if you haven't done anything with your phone except to use it as a phone.

(I know, I know... my daughter always asks me why did I get a smartphone when I use it as just a phone...no apps, music, etc)

earendil1979

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site

I've never had problems restoring all my sms and contacts before trying this ROM. I have work contacts and such that were only on my phone and flashing Phoenix never gave me a problem restoring contacts and sms via TiBU... I'm not sure what the difference between Phoenix and Andromeda that caused this behavior but I'm not the only user who's had it over at xda so perhaps a solution will be found in the next version of Andromeda...