[How-To] Backup and Factory Restore Samsung Captivate

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Did you try holding volume up an down and plugging in the usb?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

The Rambler

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Well now when I tried that I got a new screen. A yellow triangle with the android shoveling and at the bottom saying downloading and do not turn off target. I downloaded what I thought were the samsung drivers but the Wizard is not finding the correct ones...
So am I in the right direction?

Edit: Also, the computer sees the phone as Gadget Serial... Not sure if that helps

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
You have Odin installed already, right? Have you tried opening Odin before plugging it in? Does it do anything?

Your phone will be fine btw, downloading screen is what you need.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

The Rambler

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Cool! I have Odin and I plugged in the phone and the drivers were installed. I hit the "Start" button and now it has sat there for about an hour saying "Do not turn off target".

I hope I am on the right track... does it take a long time to down load?

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Cool! I have Odin and I plugged in the phone and the drivers were installed. I hit the "Start" button and now it has sat there for about an hour saying "Do not turn off target".

I hope I am on the right track... does it take a long time to down load?

It shouldn't take that long...Did it show up in Odin (box should have turned yellow). Has Odin said anything else?

The Rambler

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
oh ho.... I unplugged it and now I have some strange screen with a phone and computer with a yellow exclamation point between them.... I think that I am screwed.

edit... Got it back to downloading... Odin says Added!

Last edited:

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
If it doesn't say anything else, just unplug it and start over. Pull the battery and leave it out for a minute or two, and then try again. Make sure you open Odin BEFORE plugging in your phone, and maybe try a different USB port.

pittsm

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
mine only took about 3 minutes. But on a side note. I tried it once and it sat there awhile. Then unplugged it and tried it again and it worked. I did nothing different the second time. So, iunno. Just try it again.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
oh ho.... I unplugged it and now I have some strange screen with a phone and computer with a yellow exclamation point between them.... I think that I am screwed.

edit... Got it back to downloading... Odin says Added!

Is it working now? That screen happens when you have a bad Odin flash.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
mine only took about 3 minutes. But on a side note. I tried it once and it sat there awhile. Then unplugged it and tried it again and it worked. I did nothing different the second time. So, iunno. Just try it again.

Odin is glitchy sometimes. Not surprising, since it's supposedly leaked Samsung software :p

Well I got it to start going... It seems to be stuck at cache.rfs and the phone has gone dark.

Try it again I guess. If you can, try a different computer.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, I tried it again but now it will not fire up at all.... The screan stays dark and will not turn on. Bad sign I think

No response at all? That's not good.

Try leaving the battery out for a little while, then trying it again. Or try plugging it in to a charger and see if you get any response. If that doesn't work, might be time to polish up on your acting skills for a trip to AT&T.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
This is still recoverable. When it wont power on at all, your goal is to get the "red text" to show up. From there, you can get to DL mode. I am guessing you had a voodoo kernel installed when you flashed? If so, you need to put a checkmark in the repartition box on Odin, or this can happen. I have been here a couple times, and it is not a brick.

This is going to sound like magic, but it does work.

Connect your phone to your USB (rear port).
Open ODIN up
Remove the battery
Insert the battery
Press and HOLD VOLUP and POWER until red text shows up
Now, hold both VOLUP, VOLDOWN and POWER.
Wait for the screen to go dark and release the POWER button while still holding both VOLUME buttons down.
DOWNLOAD MODE.

I recommend NOT using the one-click ODIN. There is a re-partition checkbox on the real Odin that you should use if coming back from a voodoo kernel as well as a version of stock that includes the 3 button fix. If you need help finding that, I can try.

Good luck.

Reactions: tubbypop

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non