Smart Switch questions and may comments... how do you restore your phone and restore SS backup??

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
OK, been using SS to make backups and finally got a reason to wipe me phone and use SS to restore but not sure if I am doing it cleanly so wanna ask for advice from SS pros...

I factory wipe my phone and get to the beginning screen...

Do you guys skip through all the set up stuff like log into google account or Samsung account and even skip connecting wifi just to get to the home screen and then first thing run Smart Switch and do a restore??

I was expecting something like Apple... factory erase > Welcome screen > few steps like connect wifi then ask for Apple ID and then it immediately asks if you want to restore and shows your backup.

With S22 it doesn't ask you anywhere if you want to restore from SS. It asks you if you want to copy data from device to device but not through SS. (I wish they would).

So I thought skipping through the signing into Google account and Samsung account will avoid both of those restore whatever data/apps and configuration they will do and possible messing up what SS is going to restore. Am I wrong in that thinking?

It does look like it's restoring every thing... all my apps and widgets and background and even my Secured Folder and apps and content in there.

I notice I have to sign into every account in every app again unlike Apple restore but I guess I can live with that.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
After seeing how SS worked the first time and seeing what it restored and what it did do, I always intended to make that a test run and ready to run it one more time with some adjustments. Instead of skipping through some setup decided to go through all the setup... logging into Google and Samsung account, etc. Will documents the steps exactly...

Wiped cache partition
Factory erase/reset phone and reboot
Start screen
Connect Wi-Fi
Don't copy (Copy apps & data)
Google sign in (signed in)
2-step verification
Set PIN
Unchecked/don't install the additional apps
Samsung account (signed in)
Finish
Home screen
Letting system run in background for a while before I run SS... Google Play is downloading and installing 6/6 apps on it's own
Activity seemed to stop so at this point open Smart Switch on my PC and connect
Restore
Choose latest restore and press Restore
Check Keep screen on...
Restore finished. And let it sit and do it's thing for a while...
Unlocking my phone now and then i see my wallpaper, widgets, icons and folder back to normal...
Slowly re-installing my 98 apps...
Going to sleep and let it finish and then see if I am missing anything or what apps I needed to set back up...
But not bad so far... it's pretty much looking like how it was before I erased it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I log into both Google and Samsung
Then after it installs cloud backup I see if anything missing and go to the computer and restore any previous back up.for smart switch on PC

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Note. Pleasantly surprised to see Secured Folder does get fully backed up and restored by Smart Switch. So in case anyone wondering. Even though it mentioned backing up Secured Folder in Smart Swith, I wasn't convinced it was going to actually restore the whole thing.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I haven't been able to get Smart Switch to recognize my phone in years. Made sure I had the latest USB drivers, etc., and it just has stayed broken for an unknown reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36