No Angry birds on Captivate??

Ric Flair Woo

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
How is everyone getting it on their captivate? Its not on the market and I can't install apk files. It only allows me to install from the market. Is AT&T blocking Angry Birds?

cheapojoe

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Angry Birds Solution

Hey All,

I hate searching around the web and seeing posts on forums about problems I am also having, but not seeing the answer.

To all those who cannot find Angry Birds in the Android Market or cannot download the APK file because you are on AT&T, here is how I installed Angry Birds.

1. Go to the Android Market and download the Appbrain Marketplace
2. In the Android Market, download the app Fast Web Installer
3. Go to AppBrain Android Market - find the best Android Apps and Games
4. Sync your Google account with Appbrain
5. Open the Appbrain Marketplace app on your phone
6. Sync your device with Appbrain (it should prompt you)
7. Open Fast Web Installer and have it sync up (once again, it should prompt you)
8. Go back to the Appbrain website, click on Angry Birds and click the Install button at the top of the page

The file should begin downloading onto your phone.

This is not a plug for Appbrain. Actually, there is someone on here who previously posted that they got it from Appbrain, so that is how I actually found this place. (Thank you!)

As for why the Android Marketplace does not have the App for the Captivate, I don't know. I have a friend who was able to download it with his Captivate, but I could not.

To answer the question why you cannot download the APK and install it is because AT&T has locked down all of its phones and they will not let you install apps other than through the Android Marketplace and apparently through other Marketplaces. The only way to install 3rd party or non-marketplace apps is to root your phone (I haven't yet, cause I'm not sure what the benefits are besides getting applications from the market that aren't there, that should be, like Angry Birds).

AT&T released a statement on this before selling their first Android phone. You can't really blame them as most users don't understand what they are installing and I guess AT&T was trying to save themselves money and headaches with people screwing up their own phones. This isn't anything different than what Microsoft tried with Vista and UAC (and we all saw how that turned out, right?)

The Android Marketplace needs help and I hope Google is working their tails off to put a little structure in it.

If you have any questions, go ahead and pm me.

I don't have tons of time to post or check on forums, but I like to help where I can.

Enjoy Angry Birds!

-cheapojoe

Jay120171

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded the apk from getjar and use this sites side loader wonder machine to install it. Took all of 5 minutes total.

I used the Odin3 one-click to revert my phone back to the original ROM and I am guessing it is pre-update and why Angry Birds doesn't show on the market for me.

TheBronze

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
lol. Ah, yes, I remember these frustrating days. There are several work arounds to getting the captivate off of the AT&T market. Do some looking on xda and other sites and liberate yourself....

The best ultimate solution is to go for the i9000 ROMs that are out there. No carrier restrictions or other crap to deal with. Just vanilla Android and all the freedom it gives you....

therescue

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't mean to bump an old thread, but I just got a Captivate tonight. I've done everything posted in here step by step with Appbrain, and I still can't get it to install. It doesn't push it directly to the phone. I've tried from the web site and from my phone clicking Install on the Appbrain app, but neither work. Any ideas?