03-02-2013 12:43 PM
51 123
tools
    Hey All. This new firmware has introduced a screen rotation bug to our Note 2's. Basically the screen will fail to rotate from portrait to landscape without warning and can only be fixed by rebooting the phone. No fix is currently available and no cause has been determined. You can follow the thread about it here: Does anyone else have a problem where screen rotation stops working? - Page 4 - xda-developers
    acordo01, ska916jedi and CRM6622 like this.
    01-22-2013 09:48 AM
    I noticed this happening to me as well after the update. Hope they are working on a fix.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    ska916jedi likes this.
    01-22-2013 09:51 AM
    That happened to me a few days after I got the update. A reboot cleared it and it hasn't happened in the 3 weeks since (knock on wood).
    01-22-2013 02:12 PM
    Yes, the update did that as well. I had no problem with screen rotation until post update.. sometimes you can "rock" the GN2 port-land-portrait and it will start work again or there is a lag in time before it switches.
    ATT did a undisclosed update just prior to the 4.1.2 update, supposedly addressing a wifi problem. Cant tell which is responsible but my battery time is not the same.
    I got the grey and red diagnol arrows next to the att icon and when I checked the notification window it said " Connecting to DNR server ". Samsung confirmed this was a automatic AT&T update. There was NO forwarning or notice given. That concerns me
    greatly in itself. The Phone belongs to me, not AT&T.
    hummingbirdhill likes this.
    01-22-2013 03:43 PM
    That happened to me a few days after I got the update. A reboot cleared it and it hasn't happened in the 3 weeks since (knock on wood).
    And I thought I was one of the only ones having this problem. I'm glad that's not the case and that it's a known issue, which means that it's more likely to get fixed.

Now I turn on auto-rotate only when I need it, so I leave it off most of the time. The problem hasn't come back in over two weeks, which was the last time I rebooted because of this problem (exactly speaking, 18 days ago).
    01-22-2013 06:28 PM
    Hey All. This new firmware has introduced a screen rotation bug to our Note 2's. Basically the screen will fail to rotate from portrait to landscape without warning and can only be fixed by rebooting the phone. No fix is currently available and no cause has been determined. You can follow the thread about it here: Does anyone else have a problem where screen rotation stops working? - Page 4 - xda-developers
    Thanks n I thought. I was going crazy lol it has happened to me a lot. It seemed to only happen whenever I was actually wanting to switch to landscape. I have had to reboot several times. For now I just leave screen rotation off. However when it was happening I thought I had smart stay turned on until I looked into the settings and realized it was turned off. Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums
    01-23-2013 12:52 AM
    When are they fixing this?
    02-17-2013 08:29 AM
    Root n Flash and you won't have to worry about Att's crappy software.
    You would think after how long it takes them just to push the update that it would be bug free.

02-17-2013 09:55 AM
    Root n Flash and you won't have to worry about Att's crappy software.
    You would think after how long it takes them just to push the update that it would be bug free.

I really don't want to get into all of this - and risk screwing up my phone now or future updates.
    02-17-2013 10:07 AM
    The one thing that is necessary is to call Samsung and report this issue. Unless they start getting reports, they won't work on a fix.

Sent from my AWESOME Note 2
    02-17-2013 10:26 AM
    I've never had this, but I turned off multi-view right away, that tab drives me crazy. I only turn it on if I need it and I have only used it once.

02-17-2013 10:33 AM
    I chatted with Samsung they want me to send my phone in that I have had for 5 days.
    02-17-2013 10:45 AM
    I chatted with Samsung they want me to send my phone in that I have had for 5 days.
    Did you get to the 2nd level of help? Did you call or live chat? There is a dept to report issues like this to, don't remember the name.

02-17-2013 11:19 AM
    I did the live chat - AGAIN

Kathy: Sure, I will forward your issue to concern departments. So that it is included in future updates.
    Kathy wanted me to factory reset - being that the issue happens randomly there would be no way to see if it would be fixed immediately - it's just something that you have to wait out.

She said if I factory reset - the updated software would still be on the phone (so I don't see the purpose in this)

I am honestly considering going and exchanging my phone - I'd atleast have the old software
    02-17-2013 11:34 AM
    I did the live chat - AGAIN

Kathy wanted me to factory reset - being that the issue happens randomly there would be no way to see if it would be fixed immediately - it's just something that you have to wait out.

She said if I factory reset - the updated software would still be on the phone (so I don't see the purpose in this)

I am honestly considering going and exchanging my phone - I'd atleast have the old software
    Don't do live chat on issues like this, they are very limited in their knowledge. You need to talk to them, you will have to go through at least 2 steps, the first level that answered the phone, then they should move you up to level 2 technical support.

02-17-2013 11:53 AM
    they are closed
    02-17-2013 11:54 AM
    Don't do live chat on issues like this, they are very limited in their knowledge. You need to talk to them, you will have to go through at least 2 steps, the first level that answered the phone, then they should move you up to level 2 technical support.

Exchanging your phone won't stop the new software. Soon if not already, they will be in the store with the 4.1.2 but also it will also force you to take the update eventually if you don't have it. When AT&T released the update via Kies for the S3, in about 2 months it came out OR A and then shortly after that, it made people take the update.

02-17-2013 11:56 AM
    So is it worth me exchanging my phone - I've only had it for less than 5 days.
    02-17-2013 12:00 PM
    So is it worth me exchanging my phone - I've only had it for less than 5 days.
    You can take it back to the store and exchange, make them give you a new one, not a warranty one, you should have 14 days to do that. You can not do the update until it is forced, but you also won't get the security exploit that was released the other day. If I was having issues after 5 days, I would exchange it, but I would want the security fix. I would download the update and fix before setting it up and adding apps and see how it does on the rotate for a day or so.

02-17-2013 12:08 PM
    I have had the problem twice now where screen rotation stops working (even in apps where I **KNOW** it should work (like Facebook). I try toggling the option in the quick bar on and off to see if I can get it to come back but nothing. I have to reboot to get it back.

I downloaded an app from the market called GyroRotate to see if it is a hardware problem but it doesn't appear to be since the app responds appropriately when it isn't working.
    I have the same problem since the ota update. It happens about every other day and the only way to fix it is a reboot. I've tried toggling autorotation on and off and tried calibrating the gyro and nothing fixes it
    100% stock and it has happened several times to me as well.
    Just happened to me in the YouTube app. First time ever.
    So I had the problem again this morning. This time I went to the *#0 test screen, and tested the accelerometer this time. Everything worked perfect, and it was completely responsive. Here is the interesting part.
    I'm clueless to what causes this. I did a battery pull two days ago when it happened and it happened again today. Some apps rotate others do nothing. I downloaded rotation apps that force rotation but it doesn't correct the issue
    Im stuck in portrait mode and has been like this for the last 48 hours. I'm fully stock never rooted this phone. Before the update it never did this.
    I have the same problem seems to happen to random apps after long use like youtube rebooting is only way to make it back to normal
    02-17-2013 12:19 PM
    and?

02-17-2013 12:27 PM
    I was just posting that for other people who have the issue - as to your advice thanks. I'm just thinking if i want that security update I have to do the other update and I would be in the same boat - and I wouldn't want to get a phone with other issues.
    02-17-2013 12:43 PM
    I was just posting that for other people who have the issue - as to your advice thanks. I'm just thinking if i want that security update I have to do the other update and I would be in the same boat - and I wouldn't want to get a phone with other issues.
    Oh ok.

No you wouldn't necessarily be on the same boat. I have all the updates and I'm not experiencing the issue, many aren't.

02-17-2013 02:42 PM
    Basically, if I had a problem before the 14 days, it would go back to the store, after that, I would probably send it to Samsung, even with AT&T willing to trade it out under warranty.

02-17-2013 02:53 PM
    Just got off the phone with a really nice guy from AT&T named Craig - he researched the issue and found out about it on Android Central - he told me that returning the phone wouldn't resolve the problem because it's clearly software. He called Samsung for me - and they suggested that a fix was to do a factory reset and he told me that samsung is waiting on a fix for this problem.
    02-17-2013 02:59 PM
51 123