Note2 hanging up/rebooting problem solved

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
first of all, big thanks and a tip of the hat to kelly kearns who helped provide the initial steps in my scientific method approach to this problem. :)

problem: note 2 was hanging then rebooting every time i left a wifi area (most notably my home network) then switching to cellular data, or everytime I went to switch off wifi manually

theory: must be software related after exchanging the note2 for a fresh note2 from at&t after about one week of operation.

method:
1. safe booting note2 and observing wifi
2. observed different programs that were restarted after every hang/reboot sequence
3. noted in a spreadsheet all the different conditions (this spreadsheet has over 100 lines of entry for observations, control item changes, etc.)

result: after almost five weeks of trying to properly set up the note2 where it was not hanging/rebooting (believe me, i was missing my iPhone's simplicity and working correctly right out of the gate on day one) my study narrowed down the culprit to an at&t app.

solution: uninstall/remove from your device the AT&T VM Viewer (home voicemail viewer app) from your note2. The app was apparently trying to maintaing the network handshake/connectivity when it was lost and thus resulted in the hangup/reboot. if you are experiencing the problems I was experiencing, first disable the AT&T smart wifi app then uninstall the VM viewer app.

Wurl124

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Had my note 2 for 2 weeks. Exchanged it today due to apparently random freezing and rebooting. Had it freeze and reboot about 2 hours ago. Just tried your solution. Hopefully this is the fix.

mjorland

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the rebooting issue as well with my Verizon Note 2, so it's not the AT&T VM Viewer since I don't have AT&T. They sent me a new phone and still doing it so I am waiting for a new battery. Verizon didn't have any and didn't know when they would, so I ordered one from somewhere else and will have them credit my account. If this doesn't work I don't know what I will do, but I sure hope it does. I'll let you know. Anybody out there solved the problem with a new battery? I've got my fingers crossed!

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the rebooting issue as well with my Verizon Note 2, so it's not the AT&T VM Viewer since I don't have AT&T. They sent me a new phone and still doing it so I am waiting for a new battery. Verizon didn't have any and didn't know when they would, so I ordered one from somewhere else and will have them credit my account. If this doesn't work I don't know what I will do, but I sure hope it does. I'll let you know. Anybody out there solved the problem with a new battery? I've got my fingers crossed!

If you have an sd card installed, pull it out and run the phone without it. What do you observe?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
AT&T has since released an updated VM viewer app which no longer crashes the Note 2.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II