Is ATT's version 100% the same as international ?

Mr_Armageddon

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I volunteer to be a guinea pig, as I have already purchased two cases for the International version of the Galaxy S II in hopes that they will work with the AT&T version. Picked up the Incipio NGP semi-rigid case, and some other cheap TPU skin case from Amazon.

Hopefully the 0.4mm won't make a difference. If it does, I will probably just pick up the BodyGlove Mirage cases that AT&T sells at their stores. I have one on my Captivate, and one on the wife's Infuse, and they are great cases. Now just need to official go ahead from AT&T so I can (hopefully) pick one up on Sunday the 18th.

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
The lack of home button is a mistake. I enjoy being able to wake up the phone with the physical home button. Its a big phone and reaching up to the power button can be a pain. Long press of the menu button brings up search. Never missed the dedicated search button.

Jack Mafu

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi ppl i got a galaxy s2 gt i9100 internacional version with my carrier in PR...CLARO have been selling this baby months ago from june i think, my cell is the chile version and i just say they change a lot w the usa version but your carrier dont day that the best version is the one w the nvidia and then the korean onw the exynos now the tm going to use a qualcoom ship they change lot of component in matter of economy and in the matter of case iam using a otterbox commuter and feel great

Enviado desde mi GT-I9100 usando Tapatalk

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Hi ppl i got a galaxy s2 gt i9100 internacional version with my carrier in PR...CLARO have been selling this baby months ago from june i think, my cell is the chile version and i just say they change a lot w the usa version but your carrier dont day that the best version is the one w the nvidia and then the korean onw the exynos now the tm going to use a qualcoom ship they change lot of component in matter of economy and in the matter of case iam using a otterbox commuter and feel great

Enviado desde mi GT-I9100 usando Tapatalk

Benchmarks have shown the Exynos chip to be superior, in the 3500 range on Quadrant scores, none of the other chips have come close to that.

Sent from my DROIDX

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
The lack of home button is a mistake. I enjoy being able to wake up the phone with the physical home button. Its a big phone and reaching up to the power button can be a pain. Long press of the menu button brings up search. Never missed the dedicated search button.

The power button in on the ride hand side of the phone so that shouldn't be an issue honestly. And I'm glad they did away with the physical button. Too each his/own though.

Mikegrann

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
The power button in on the ride hand side of the phone so that shouldn't be an issue honestly. And I'm glad they did away with the physical button. Too each his/own though.

Honestly, I have to agree. I handled an international version once and the physical button just didn't feel right. In my opinion, the home button was just too small. I have pretty big fingers though, so it's a matter of personal preference I'm sure.

bake

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
And as far as the power button when I had my captivate it was easy to use my thumb when holding it with my right hand and my index finger when holding it with my left hand. I actually preferred it more than the iPhone's being on top.

Statusnone

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
What stores can I do this at?

It's up to the credit card companies and the stores to implement this. AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile have all set $100m to battle against Google Wallet, which is already in a lot of Sprint phones.

Put as much money in it as they want, still up to the credit card companies.

kc8flb

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
then that means that nfc is something that nobody is going to use on the attain, because it is still being implemented. We will probably get one or two people in the forums who will use it once or twice and talk about the experience. My whole point its that I wouldn't even consider it a feature since nobody will probably be able to use it during the product life cycle of the attain.

I would go even farther and say that if getting rid of nfc made the phone lighter and cheaper and smaller I would opt to not have it. Nfc that doesn't work at the stores you shop at is worthless.

mpazevedo

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Using the Paypass app I found 15 NFC locations and thats just the start of it. There will be many more to come. Look for those Paypass terminals, you will be suprised there are more then you think.

kc8flb

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
It only matters if they are the 15 stores that you shop at. For me, that means the local grocery store (mejier), rite aid, the grocery store I walk up on lunch break and about three or four gas stations I frequent.

If I can't use it at those places, why would I take the time to set up nfc accounts and link my credit or debit cards to it? I also always have my credit and debit cards on my person.

I think nfc will end up being used more frequently for other things besides commerce and even then it will take years to catch on if it ever does.

The first big applications will probably be phone to phone, since those are the the devices that will have them.

kc8flb

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded the paypass app and I was suprised that they do accept it in about half of the locations I mentioned above.

I will have to read to find out what makes it easier to use than my debit card.

Mr_Armageddon

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I can confirm that cases for the International version seem to fit the AT&T version just fine. The slight size difference doesn't seem to matter, although there is one stipulation that must be taken into consideration...

The secondary microphone hole that is located on top of the phone near the 3.5mm jack is a few mm off from where it is located on the international version. I have attached pictures to demonstrate where it is off, and show the slight modification I had to make to my Incipio case for it to work. I had to to the same with a cheap TPU case I also purchased to try out.

Outside of that 5min adjustment w/ an razor blade, the case goes on and off just fine and doesn't seem overly tight on the phone. This is pretty much going to be a temporary case for me until something better comes out. I would really like the BodyGlove Mirage cases that AT&T sells at their stores to release for this phone. I have one on my Captivate, and one on the wife's Infuse, and they are great cases.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non