almost 2 hour setup?

Kunji

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
hi, i am completely new to att. they had us there at the counter insisting that we setup a gmail account right then and there. is this typical? we had to come up with some generic name just to get out of there. now that we are home, am i able to come up with a proper gmail account and delete the one they setup for us? if i ever do a factory reset, am i able to use the new gmail we came up with at home, or do we have to use the one the att guy helped with?. this process was not nearly as smooth as with sprint or verizon. with those two they rang up the phone and gave them to us after they checked if they received a call. is this a GSM thing?

timberga

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I think they were trying to make sure you had a good experience by getting everything setup.....why in the world don't you have a GMAIL account????? Thats the more important question.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
hi, i am completely new to att. they had us there at the counter insisting that we setup a gmail account right then and there. is this typical? we had to come up with some generic name just to get out of there. now that we are home, am i able to come up with a proper gmail account and delete the one they setup for us? if i ever do a factory reset, am i able to use the new gmail we came up with at home, or do we have to use the one the att guy helped with?. this process was not nearly as smooth as with sprint or verizon. with those two they rang up the phone and gave them to us after they checked if they received a call. is this a GSM thing?

You can use any gmail account you like.

Simba501

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site

I would've gotten very annoyed. That's atypical in my experience. And yes, if you factory reset you should be able to use the gmail account of your choice.

Sent from my Inspire

JETarpon

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
At the AT&T store I went to, the guy just did all the paperwork and gave me the phone.

For the OP, I would actually suggest doing a factory reset right now, before you put a lot of time into the phone, and setting it up with your new (better) gmail account.

jampyx

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
They were not having you setup a gmail account to annoy you. The setup procedure for the S 2 out of the box will ask for a gmail account name to finish setup. They just want to make sure that the machine setups fully and that you are able to make calls, send messages etc right away. I am very tech savvy but they offered to do a full setup on the spot and it only added 2 minutes to my 12 minute purchase. I am glad that they did because there was a problem with my text messaging which they were able to resolve on the spot. It was nice walking out of the store with a phone that had all of my contacts, emails, and calendar already populated over the air without needing to sync.

Reactions: bxborn31