thank you ATT!-skyrocket

Shermdiggity

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
To the original poster, I feel your pain man!! Here are my thoughts:

I was one of those who got the SGSII on AT&T on October 2nd. In fact, i was like second in line....still mad that other person beat me!

Anyway, I'm very happy with my SGSII. I am though, quite ticked off at AT&T for announcing an upgraded model of the phone within a month of the previous one hitting the market. Normally, I'm not the guy to chase the next phone with better specs. However, the timing on this one was 29 days by my count, it is an upgrade of the same model, and it is on the same carrier. That is a lot to ignore.

Some are saying, "I don't have LTE in my area so I don't care" or "LTE is gonna kill the battery". For me, I only buy a phone every 18-24 months, so I want to feel good that the tech in my phone is going to last and be relevant during that timeframe. My area doesn't have LTE now, but it will get it within a reasonable amount of time....plus I travel a bit to the cities that either have or will soon have LTE. In addition, we don't know for sure that "LTE is gonna kill the battery" at AT&T. They've said multiple times their LTE phones will work differently than those of Verizon which require powering 2 independent radios, using what they're coining as "circuit switch fall back" technology. So, with the additional battery capacity of 1850 vs. 1600 and this new technology, I'm not sure that we can say for sure that "LTE is gonna kill the battery".

The next thing is the processor. Again, I love my SGSII with its Exynos chip. That said, if the SGSII Skyrocket has, as assumed the 1.5 Ghz Snapdragon processor, will I really notice a difference in real-world usage? I dunno. If somebody has a definitive example of real-world usage being worse on the 1.5Ghz processor than the 1.2 Exynos, please let me know....seriously, I'm really curious and seeking information here.

Lastly, there is the size....4.5 vs. 4.3. Right now, 4.3 seems perfect for me. However, if the case of the 4.5 isn't appreciably bigger and they've been able to increase the screen size without enlarging the case much, I may not really feel that the phone is bigger. If this is true, then I may have a winner.

While I can't "future proof" my phone, I really do want to give myself the highest probability of using a phone for the 18-24 months that isn't a dinosaur and will serve my needs. I'll be in the store on Sunday playing around with the new phone trying to figure this out.

Anybody have any other thoughts? What should I do? Help a brotha out, please!

Last edited:

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
As so many have said, there's always another newer, faster, more powerful phone around the corner. I loved my Infuse for the screen size and speed. It was good enough for me, but for a few issues. Now that I have the S2, unless something goes horribly wrong with it, I can't imagine needing anything faster or more robust. I expect the screen on the Skyrocket to be similar to the Infuse; larger screen, lower resolution, but it was a gorgeous screen, nevertheless. The smaller S2 has better resolution which really shows up when I'm looking at pictures I've taken, but the difference is negligible, to me anyway. Performance wise, just as a mod told me once, I won't miss the larger screen when I experience the power of the S2 and he was absolutely right. It really broke my heart turning in my Infuse.

I only upgrade my phone about every 2-3 years, if that (had an LG for 5 years!), so I appreciate when my phone can carry me through. I think the S2 will carry anyone through the next 2-3 years but, it depends on what you need. The line-up of devices being released over the next 6 months is incredible. You might just have to pick one that works for you and never look back:) For me, it's the S2, but I've never been one for chasing technology (LG for 5 years, BB Curve 4 years). I guess I'm pretty easy to impress :)

sepherous

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
As so many have said, there's always another newer, faster, more powerful phone around the corner. I loved my Infuse for the screen size and speed. It was good enough for me, but for a few issues. Now that I have the S2, unless something goes horribly wrong with it, I can't imagine needing anything faster or more robust. I expect the screen on the Skyrocket to be similar to the Infuse; larger screen, lower resolution, but it was a gorgeous screen, nevertheless. The smaller S2 has better resolution which really shows up when I'm looking at pictures I've taken, but the difference is negligible, to me anyway. Performance wise, just as a mod told me once, I won't miss the larger screen when I experience the power of the S2 and he was absolutely right. It really broke my heart turning in my Infuse.

I only upgrade my phone about every 2-3 years, if that (had an LG for 5 years!), so I appreciate when my phone can carry me through. I think the S2 will carry anyone through the next 2-3 years but, it depends on what you need. The line-up of devices being released over the next 6 months is incredible. You might just have to pick one that works for you and never look back:) For me, it's the S2, but I've never been one for chasing technology (LG for 5 years, BB Curve 4 years). I guess I'm pretty easy to impress :)

you dont owe him an explanation its pretty clear he's being a jerk. Its not even any of his business if u return something 1000 times. who the eff cares. They have a policy in place to ensure customers are happy and return to their store. :) you go ahead and return the sgs2 if u hate it and get the friggin skyrocket.it helps everyone on this forum if you encounter a problem with a phone and let us know about it so if someone else is considering the phone they too know about an issue your having.

Reactions: tunie

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the skyrocket is a upgrade for most of us. Sure if you live in a LTE market it will have its advantages. Aside from that you get a slightly larger screen that is the same resolution and you get a snapdragon processor that isn't faster in the real world. I feel good about my purchase, this is a great phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

timberga

May 19, 2010
Visit site
you dont owe him an explanation its pretty clear he's being a jerk. Its not even any of his business if u return something 1000 times. who the eff cares. They have a policy in place to ensure customers are happy and return to their store. :) you go ahead and return the sgs2 if u hate it and get the friggin skyrocket.it helps everyone on this forum if you encounter a problem with a phone and let us know about it so if someone else is considering the phone they too know about an issue your having.

I never asked any questions or for any clarification. Anyhow, like I said at the end, "just get the phone you want and stick with it"....every phone will have its quirks.....etc.....if you want a polished experience go iOS or Windows Phone......

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Just to give this some perspective (and to hopefully stop the bickering) at least this phone was announced before the return policy was up for the early adopters. Imagine how mad all of you would be if it was announced 31 days after the SGS II was released.

Reactions: tunie

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Plan to check this out as I live in one of the LTE towns (Chicago) and then wait a week or two to get the initial reactions.

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Look at the reviews of the T-mobile version of the gs2 and a lot are saying compared to the sprint and att versions, the t-mobile version is having trouble keeping up with the 1.2 ghz exynos processor and the 3d gaming is less because of the gpu, other then having the lte, and .2 inch larger screen, I see the phone being more then a downgrade besides lte. I could return my i777 for this new one since I did not get it until October 11. If it would have had a higher clocked exynos processor, then I could see getting the skyrocket but even my area does not have lte and why get it when by the time the sgs3 comes out, lte will be available in more areas and hopefully by the time I can upgrade again, lte will be pretty standard.

HTH,
Charlie

j510

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok this is how I seeit. It's basically:

a) Do you want the OG SGSII (closest to International SGSII) with fast processor speeds (Exynos).

or

b) Do you want the Tmobile variant (AT&T Skyrocket LTE) with AT&T network. (thats all it really is if you think about it)

ChrisM47

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I live in an LTE Area and still after doing the research I can't downgrade my phone like that lol. I'll keep my OG SGSII

rob0101

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
@Shermdiggity

Yeah, I hear you. I, too, want to be future-proofed, which is why I was so taken with the GS2, which is so incredibly speced-out. (ICS-ready, for sure)
I work for ATT and have been playing with the Skyrocket off and on the past few days.
The first thing that hits me, of course is the size, especially since I am coming from an iPhone 3GS.
If you think about it, large phone probably don't work for people because they're hard to use with one hand, or because they are too big for the pocket. I can't really speak to these, since I've just been borrowing the phone (not pocketing it) and because I am not used to Android. Obviously, you'd want to position apps and widgets so that you can reach them, but for my hand, my thumb cannot reach the upper-left 1/4th or so of the screen, without slipping my hand up the side of the phone. (I'm right-handed) These small things make a difference.
I'm even worried about how the GS2 will work, and can't find it since the stores here are not stocking it.
The GS2 is 2.6" wide, the Skyrocket 2.7", not much difference, but maybe the combo of the width+ the screen size does tip the decision about one-handed usability.

LTE and the bigger screen and the faster clocking will eat more battery, but the battery is 1850 versus 1650mAh of the GS2, so you should be OK, and I imagine you can turn LTE off, although I need to check that.

The GS2 is a category 14 phone which can do 21 down max, so even if you get half of that in normal situations, it's still ridiculous! Obviously faster is better, but at what point can we notice?

I'm in an LTE market, and will go for the GS2, unless something else drops by Nov 17th.
The other phone that interests me is the Captivate Slide which is coming very soon. That 4" screen might be perfect, but I am not too stoked about the slower processor and the non-plus display. The keyboard would be really nice, but is it worth the weight? Not sure.
Anyway, the product guys have given us 3 new Sammys at 4", 4.3", and 4.5", so I guess I can't complain...