Newbie & SGS II

BLOND37

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
i hope i am posting in the right place.. this is an email i sent to a friend tonight.. i thought maybe i'd get a forum like this i mean yur advice etc..

the phone i am thinking of is the samsung galaxy s2 (not sky rocket)..

well i currently am, as U prolly guessed a mac boy tho i am not one of those blind sheep lol.. i have a 4s and macbook pro.. to start could you give me yur over all impression of the sgs2.. tho i know how you will answer that i am seriously thinking of switching b/c the damn small screen on the 4s.. other than that its a GREAT phone (for me!).. also does it feel big and clunky? i'm used to my small iphone

somethings you may want to be mindful of when replying:

i am not overly techy, but not stupid either haha
i had a HTC flyer and HTC inspire.. omg i wanted to smash them both as i found them hard to use.. my friends say i just didnt give myself enuff time to learn it.. perhaps.. both went back after one day
i use my phone for email, texts, web and social apps, nothing fancy, and hardly ever talk on it
i also like my phone to be fast..
i'm on att of that matters, NE USA area

i have read many reviews today by consumers and "professional" reviewers.. and the only thing i find as a "con" is battery life..but i am seldom away from home/power source very long.

oh and all this being said i'd like to have it sync with my macbook etc (but i think i can do that thru syncmate, but this would be a secondary issue).. even if i couldnt get it to sync or whatever that woukdnt be a deal breaker..

the purpose of the SGS2 would be

a back up phone
one to learn android on
a "play" phone (techy gadget)

thoughts, comments, questions, additions, suggestions?? :)

hexproject

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Yo. I currently have an iPhone 4s as well as an sgs2. I too am a Mac boy... since the first generation of iPod back in circa 2001??
I am actually trying out both device. But the sgs2 is definitely a fresh view! To be honest, kind of sick of the user interface on ios. I really like the Widgets. Battery life I think is okay. At least I can bring an extra battery if I really need to. But overall the bigger screen is a lot nicer to read. Thinking about the Lte sgs2 with 4.5... but I plan to keep both, one as a back and switch back and forth. All the major
Apps are on both systems.
I think only games are better on ios. But get it and try it out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

BLOND37

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Yo. I currently have an iPhone 4s as well as an sgs2. I too am a Mac boy... since the first generation of iPod back in circa 2001??
I am actually trying out both device. But the sgs2 is definitely a fresh view! To be honest, kind of sick of the user interface on ios. I really like the Widgets. Battery life I think is okay. At least I can bring an extra battery if I really need to. But overall the bigger screen is a lot nicer to read. Thinking about the Lte sgs2 with 4.5... but I plan to keep both, one as a back and switch back and forth. All the major
Apps are on both systems.
I think only games are better on ios. But get it and try it out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

OMG how funny.. what did you have first?
if the iphone how was yur adjustment period with the sgs2?
did u have any android phones before sgs2?
i'm used to apple dumbing things down :)

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I have both the SG2 and the 4s. Give the Samsung at least two weeks. It is not difficult to learn, there really isn't much to it, but use the forums to search and ask questions. You will be amazed on how much easier the most menial tasks are on Android. Things as simple as attaching something while your composing an email. In iOS you can't. The "share to" is also great to direct your pics to where ever you want to go without leaving the gallery. Send to photo bucket, drop box, ect. There is no need to go into the app, sign in, then upload. Enjoy the bigger screen cause it's going to make the iPhone look like an HTC touch if you go back. One nice thing about android market is you can look around on your computer and if you like something you can download it right there and it will be sent to your phone. As far as your music, download double twist on your computer and air sync and it will be transferred to your device over wifi. Home screens are nice because you get to set them up how you want them, instead of looking at 16 tiles, page after page after page. Do not use the AP mobile widget, never open it!!!!!

As far as the 4s, I'll admit Siri is amazing. The apps on iOS are much more polished and more aesthetically pleasing. They are all authorized by apple, so a rogue app is not likely to occur. Hell if there is a bad app it gets pulled. Yes, the iPhone will get updates much quicker than an android device. Like it or not it's a benefit of apple.

Biggest thing, esp with android, select a device for what it can do, not what you hope it will become. What you will find is the level of customization and usability from a Android will make you wonder why the hell apple does certain things in certain ways. What you'll find, is Android=freedom, the iPhone is very rigid and very linear. Android gives you the freedom to do things how you want, iPhone forces you to do things the way they want you to do them.

netarc

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
re: "One nice thing about android market is you can look around on your computer and if you like something you can download it right there and it will be sent to your phone."

Can you elaborate on this, I didn't know this was possible ... does the phone have to be tethered at the time, or are you saying if I purchase an app from the Android Market on my computer, the phone will automagically download/install it itself?

re: "Do not use the AP mobile widget, never open it!!!!!"

Why not

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
re: "One nice thing about android market is you can look around on your computer and if you like something you can download it right there and it will be sent to your phone."

Can you elaborate on this, I didn't know this was possible ... does the phone have to be tethered at the time, or are you saying if I purchase an app from the Android Market on my computer, the phone will automagically download/install it itself?

re: "Do not use the AP mobile widget, never open it!!!!!"

Why not

Correct, log in with your gmail account, select the app you want to install, and it will get sent directly to your device. You'll see in the notification center that it was successfully installed when it's completed.

There is a bug in the AP mobile widget that uses small bits of data that add up. On a 2gb plan it probably wouldn't matter. 200mb, you'll be in trouble.

DroidBehavior

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
if you like browsing the web i think the android dominates no matter what
i can watch videos on tv links using megavideo or divx, im sure iphone cant do either

i dont even need extra software, its easy to browse with the fit to screen option and i never have to zoom in or out to read

the battery life is pretty good if it doesnt randomly drain which it will, i assure you. I take good care of my phone using every method listed here or on google, and i can get easily 2 days of battery on mild use. Once a week though ill have to turn my phone on and off because something keeps my phone draining or awake when its idle

i think iphone has more fun games, i thought i would be on apps/games all day but the games r boring as hell, not for me. i almost never call just text/browse/facebook/apps/games like u

i think iphone is fine for u but the fact that u want a big screen and u browse the web, there is no reason to not get the s2

u will have to tweak it upon purchase for decent battery, turn off gps/wifi/bluetooth/sync, they are all turned on easily through the notification bar, takes .1 second to turn it on and off i luv it

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
On my SG2 I can leave GPS and Sync on and easily make it through the day texting, emailing, FB, ect. I never leave BT on on any device. Much easier to turn it on with Android and the quick toggles vs. iOS and settings, general, BT on/off.

BLOND37

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
ok hi wow, didnt expect so many replies :) i'm gonna try to just reply to the points in yur messages all here if thats ok..

a friend said that on his GSG2, when he has GPS on, its (the phone?) is slow. thoughts?

i find games are very boring too..

i keep BT off for all my devices as well.

i am surprised at others who have both phones as well (and say they like SGS2 better)

was talking to another friend today.. any "mod" that i would like to make to the SGS2 can be done with out having to root/JB the phone.. (Wow!!) and so far the things i wanna do he says are "very easy" even for someone like me..

someone mentioned listening to music (files to be xfered).. actually i only listen to a streaming app so dont gotta worry about xferrig files.. so really i guess it'd be pix files to be xfered and even then it wouldnt be life or death

someone said select a device for what it can do.. ok i get that and am pretty sure that what i am doing :)

someone said android gives you freedom.. true.. but sometimes there's to much freedom.. and or the person needs some structure.. ya know.. i guess i am just saying that it can all be overwhelming and ya know then come frustration etc. and what i call android anxiety (cuz the wonderful experience with the HTC inspire..) which brings me i think to my last and final point for this message - the 2 week thing (att has a 30 day return policy, cool) but i'm the type i want to know it all in 5 mins and be an expert at it.. and yes i know logically you cant know everything about a new phone in 2 hours, days, weeks, or even months or years but thats just me , and when i read two weeks my first thought was Uggghhh!!

anyway as things stand now, i'm going to the att store friday.. i'm gonna do the sgs2 as a second line (puts me on the family plan so costs roughly $25 more/month and i'll get to keep the unlimited data plan for the iphone..

i hope att has sgs2 in stock.. with my luck

BLOND37

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
oh i was laying in bed this morning and realized something.. while there will be some apps that have a ios version and a android version, there are some that dont :((( i know there will be equivilents but for some like the check book app i use.. sigh.. but anyway i guess thats why the sgs2 is backup/play..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez