Battery drain with new update

birvini

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I installed the new update a few days ago and I have instantly noticed that my battery life is terrible. I did a factory reset to make sure the update was "happy". This has not helped at all. I was usually able to go 17-19 hours with moderate use and have 45% battery left. Now I'm at 15% after only 14-15 hours. I only run one home page with a battery widget on it. The display is turned down to 25% as well. I frequently use task manager as well to stop CPU eating apps like Facebook from using the battery.

I thought this update was supposed to enhance battery usage and not hurt it. Any ideas?

ricktat

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I take all battery compliants with a grain of salt but am seeing it on my phone. I forgot to charge it last night and woke up to the phone being completely dead for the first time ever. I could normally just wait and charge it the next day with no issues.

The RAM usage seems to be lower than before but it still saying Android OS was the culprit.

birvini

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Before the update if I didn't use the phone it would drain 1% an hour on standby. Now it is draining at a rate of 4-5%. It has to be update related because it started right after I downloaded it.

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
No issues here since the update, my phone has currently been on for 6hrs and 15 minutes and has lost 15% which seems ok to me?

Edit: I have been experiencing the same battery drain issues as others, and called Samsung who claimed that no complaints had been logged with them on any battery issues with 2.3.6.
Take the time to call or use Smsung's live chat to let them know about the battery life issue

Last edited:

samuel317

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I am also seeing the battery drain after the update. 1% drain per hour before. After 4-6% drain per hour. Ive also realized that the apps such as social hub and media hub, keeps coming back more frequently then before. Before the apps i closed stays closed until i charge my phone. After, they come back within a hr.
Also my phone heats up faster then before. For example, I could play about 30min of words with friends, but after the update, within 10-15min my phone gets hot and my phone shuts down(after the couple low battery sign). Once it cools off, my phone battery life goes to maybe 10% lower than what it was before i played the game. Oh and also. After this event, my phone says "charge your phone" even if i green battery bar.
This update sucks, I wouldnt update if you havent done so.

j-bo

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I checked the battery after updating.. I am not seeing any increase in battery drain at all.

What a difference a day makes..... I'm now seeing the android OS with a severe increase in battery usage.

Android OS is now at 73%...

Display is at 14%

I'll see how usage is throughout the day and if battery drain has increased overall.

Last edited:

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I was seeing some additional battery drain as well, I decided to root and try a custom rom "unNamed 2.1.1" and all is better, actually my battery life has been much better than pre upgrade stock. The developer removed all the bloatware including social hub.

surf1

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I was seeing some additional battery drain as well, I decided to root and try a custom rom "unNamed 2.1.1" and all is better, actually my battery life has been much better than pre upgrade stock. The developer removed all the bloatware including social hub.
Yeh I'm going to flash to unNamed as well, best ROM for this phone right now. I'm seeing an increased battery drain as well after this update, I too was at around 1% an hour before, now it's like 4-6% and in use like browsing etc drains faster then before :-\

Noticed a weird thing to, after this update, uploading videos to Facebook takes forever now compared to before.

birvini

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I just spent the last two hours talking with Att and Samsung regarding this issue. Don't waste your time with Samsung they wanted me to send my battery to them for 7-9 days of evaluation before sending me a new one.

ATT tech support was very helpful. They said it's very possible that the 2.3.6. OTA update corrupted my phone and or battery causing the increased drain. They will be sending me a battery to try and fix the issue. If that doesn't work they'll replace the phone. They said the more people who call them about the issue the faster Samsung will supply a fix to the update.

I'll let everyone know if the new battery fixes the problem. I have my doubts but I'll try it anyways.

nbell978

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I just spent the last two hours talking with Att and Samsung regarding this issue. Don't waste your time with Samsung they wanted me to send my battery to them for 7-9 days of evaluation before sending me a new one.

ATT tech support was very helpful. They said it's very possible that the 2.3.6. OTA update corrupted my phone and or battery causing the increased drain. They will be sending me a battery to try and fix the issue. If that doesn't work they'll replace the phone. They said the more people who call them about the issue the faster Samsung will supply a fix to the update.

I'll let everyone know if the new battery fixes the problem. I have my doubts but I'll try it anyways.

Hey if it doesn't, at least you have a free spare battery :D

Trickology

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I did A factory reset yesterday and that fixed the problem, my battery its actually so much better than before I'm going on 1 day 8 hours and still have 50% left, its doing A lot better in stand by also draining about 1% every 2 hours

anon(522161)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
So factory reset maybe fixes it? I may have to try that.

Thing about factory reset is that application automatic re-download had never worked for me. I do have auto backup, or whatever it's called, option enabled. Have to make a list of all apps every time. Real PITA.

cobra302

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Factory reset did squat for me. Almost made it worse. Maybe because of the reset up. I lost 45% battery in one hour! I use an iPhone 4, wanted to try this galaxy, but with battery drain like this, and the long re-charge time I just can't. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

birvini

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I did A factory reset yesterday and that fixed the problem, my battery its actually so much better than before I'm going on 1 day 8 hours and still have 50% left, its doing A lot better in stand by also draining about 1% every 2 hours

Could you let us know what your settings are? Display, apps, widgets. I would like to try and duplicate to see if it works on mine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699