Kies will not recognize my Galaxy SIII

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
None of these fixes are working for me. I am on Vista and it will just not recognize my GS3. It continuously "installs" the MTP driver while it is plugged in. It always says it is successful, but then almost immediately runs it again. I do not see the option to stop it from looking for the Windows Update driver (is this a difference with Vista?), but I did change the setting in the system properties so that Windows Update should never look for drivers.

Kies recognizes that my phone is the GT-I9300, but then it just keeps saying "connecting"...

Any ideas? This is driving me crazy!

What is it that you want to use Kies for? I never use that program. I sync everything using Companion link. It's awesome. I back up using Titanium Backup.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Having the same issues as many of you. I'm brand new to the world of smart phones and I wanted to go high-end. I've been thrilled with everything about my GS3, except this problem. Not being able to pull my music onto my phone is a dealbreaker. I'm running Windows XP SP3, and I also get the "connecting" forever in Kies. Windows also gives me a pop-up that says something about a hardware installation error whenever I connect my GS3 as an MTP, but when I connect it as a camera it works fine. Frust. Rating. I will keep slogging away for now, but I bought my device unlocked and I am already eyeing a Nexus 4 once they're stocked again.

If you are trying to copy music you don't need Kies. Just plug in the phone, make sure you select to use USB connection on your phone then it will open your phone on your pc just like a usb stick. Just copy your music into the music folder on your phone and it will show up in your music player.

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I will note again that there are TWO issues here, not just one. The first is trying to get Windows itself to talk to the S3, and the other is getting Kies to then talk to the phone. If you NEVER get the device drivers to work, then nothing else will work.

So, go back to my longish post that details going into Kies and then doing the diagnose connection problems routine. That SHOULD get Windows to the point where it will install device drivers properly for you. Note that SOME people may have to enable USB debugging on the phone, even though that may not be necessary.

The biggest problem is that some USB ports SUCK due to motherboard drivers. If you get a message saying that the device will perform faster with a USB 2.0 port, then plug the phone into a different USB port, and see if ANY of your ports are USB 2.0. Older machines only have SOME as 2.0 ports, while others are 1.1.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I will note again that there are TWO issues here, not just one. The first is trying to get Windows itself to talk to the S3, and the other is getting Kies to then talk to the phone. If you NEVER get the device drivers to work, then nothing else will work.

So, go back to my longish post that details going into Kies and then doing the diagnose connection problems routine. That SHOULD get Windows to the point where it will install device drivers properly for you. Note that SOME people may have to enable USB debugging on the phone, even though that may not be necessary.

The biggest problem is that some USB ports SUCK due to motherboard drivers. If you get a message saying that the device will perform faster with a USB 2.0 port, then plug the phone into a different USB port, and see if ANY of your ports are USB 2.0. Older machines only have SOME as 2.0 ports, while others are 1.1.

Good points here. May want to try a usb port on the back of the computer as these sometimes connect better. Or try a different computer to see if that works.

paulosilva8200

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: Kies will not recognize my Galaxy S3

problem solved, remove usb cable, go to settings, developer options,click on the box on usb debugging, run to the shop and buy a new cable, when you return, open kies, connect the new cable, then once drivers are installed automatic, then unclick the usb debugging, and vua laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, it works, its my 3rd cable that i got. hope that works well guys, if so, please send an reply to
if that does not work, then istall again kies,
my problem was the cable, because with the new kies, still did not make any sound when the cable was on.
samsung, change the cables.
good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

rjllew

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I have downloaded Samsung Kies and I was wanting to back my contacts up on that program and it will not recognize my Galaxy SIII. I have windows 7 and for some reason when I plug my phone it it says "Unable to connect to SGH-I747. Failed to retrieve device information."

Does anyone know what I need to do in order to Kies to recognize my phone. I am very interested in using this program so I can back my phone up.

Hi All, I have used online forums for years and they always helped me out. To be honest this is the first time I have not found a resolution online but actually fixed this problem myself.

I purchased a Galaxy Note 2 this week and I have spent 3 hours trying to get it working with Kies and I finally done it!!! First of all......I didn't know about Kies and I just plugged in my USB lead to copy and paste files etc (without Kies installed) this installed the file transfer driver but I noticed the settings on my phone mentioned the USB connection was to be used as an external camera. When you swipe down on the Note 2, it said 'Connected as a Camera' I clicked on this and changed it to 'Connect as a Media Device'. I pulled out the USB lead and plugged it back in then Kies recognized the device and I was away. My phone now works with Kies including the sync, back up etc. This worked for me so I signed up on this forum just to put this thread up so hopefully it will help other very frustrated users!!! If it don't work, fine! But it did for me!

WarrJo

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

I couldn't connect my S3 to Kies and tried everything other users posted (usb debugging, scanning pc for viruses, etc...) and I stumbled upon the fix that solved my issue and I've now connected with Kies and have full functionality with Kies and no issues with my S3.

THE FIX:

On the S3 device pull down from top of home screen (swipe from top of screen downward) to the screen that shows (across the top) Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc... and check to see how the device is connected "Connected as a Media Device" should be shown. (Mine said "Connected as a camera" and I changed that to "Connected as a MEDIA DEVICE" and instantly connected to Kies.

Hope this helps!

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't connect my S3 to Kies and tried everything other users posted (usb debugging, scanning pc for viruses, etc...) and I stumbled upon the fix that solved my issue and I've now connected with Kies and have full functionality with Kies and no issues with my S3.

THE FIX:

On the S3 device pull down from top of home screen (swipe from top of screen downward) to the screen that shows (across the top) Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc... and check to see how the device is connected "Connected as a Media Device" should be shown. (Mine said "Connected as a camera" and I changed that to "Connected as a MEDIA DEVICE" and instantly connected to Kies.

Hope this helps!

Ya, I said that a few posts up. But I wasn't as specific. Great to hear this was the issue.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Here are my suggestions....

Uninstall Kies. Download and reinstall Kies.

Update Java to most current version.

Use the original USB cable that came with your GS3.

Enable USB debugging.

I used Kies to synch my Outlook contacts and calendar when I transitioned from a BB 9810 to the GS3.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

hayleyscomett

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site

FINALLY!!!!! Thank you Tenjo :) your instructions worked for me after a few attempts. Thanks!!!!!!

** edit ** Now it's not working! I'm so effing frustrated it's not even funny!

My screen shows: Prepare for firmware upgrade - Please do not disconnect the cable connected to the PC. (which I haven't). - Downloading firmware upgrade components. BUT ... on the Kies screen it says Please connect a device under connected devices.

WTH?? It WAS connected when the damn thing started!!

Now the upgrade screen says: Firmware upgrade progress - Downloading file for firmware upgrade of Galaxy S3 (SGH-1747) (133068*****)' Please do not disconnect the cable connected to the PC. (which I STILL haven't done)

So, I have no idea where it's downloading this file to since it doesn't say it's connected to my phone????????
Also, the screen on my phone does NOT show the droid guy and the words Do Not Turn Off Target, like it's supposed to.

Totally pissed off here! :mad:

And I'm using Windows XP not 7
but that shouldn't matter.

Last edited:

FriendDenton

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site

I found this on Microsoft's help page:

I got and Answer her is the fix that worked for me

. Uninstall any previous instance of Kies/USB driver
2. Download the latest Kies, specific to your S3.
3. Download Samsung USB drivers 1.4.6.0 (I've tried newer versions but they all failed)
4. REBOOT
5. Disconnect from internet (VERY IMPORTANT!!! - forcing Windows to install local drivers ONLY)
6. With the phone disconnected, install Kies + USB drivers downloaded in steps 2,3
7. Connect the phone and let Windows install the drivers.
8. Reestablish the internet connection.

Honestly, the key is to disconnect from the internet when Windows attempts to find drivers through Windows Update, utilizing the old drivers. I disconnected just before plugging in my GS3 AND just before the firmware unzips. Also, this is on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

It worked for me after trying every other method posted on this forum and others.

kk86

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site

Hey everyone..

New to this community, recently got a S3 . I was trying to update to jelly bean 4.1.1, and the real problem started. Unable to connect to Kies on mac and windows.

I tried several options for a week and almost gave up.. But, in the end. I uninstalled my AVG anti virus on S3.. And, it worked.. on windows PC and also able to connect to mac. So, to all the people who haven't tried this, please give a try n see. it might work.:):)

Thanks..

scythenc

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site

FINALLY!!!!! Thank you Tenjo :) your instructions worked for me after a few attempts. Thanks!!!!!!

** edit ** Now it's not working! I'm so effing frustrated it's not even funny!

My screen shows: Prepare for firmware upgrade - Please do not disconnect the cable connected to the PC. (which I haven't). - Downloading firmware upgrade components. BUT ... on the Kies screen it says Please connect a device under connected devices.

WTH?? It WAS connected when the damn thing started!!

Now the upgrade screen says: Firmware upgrade progress - Downloading file for firmware upgrade of Galaxy S3 (SGH-1747) (133068*****)' Please do not disconnect the cable connected to the PC. (which I STILL haven't done)

So, I have no idea where it's downloading this file to since it doesn't say it's connected to my phone????????
Also, the screen on my phone does NOT show the droid guy and the words Do Not Turn Off Target, like it's supposed to.

Totally pissed off here! :mad:

And I'm using Windows XP not 7
but that shouldn't matter.

Having the exact same issue. Will get to the download point and just stop. The next step where it actually installs it on the phone doesnt start. It will either freeze at this point or go back to beginning of the update cycle and ask to do the update again and the same thing will happen. Does anybody have a solution for this yet? I've been trying to get jelly bean on my s3 now since the update was available with no luck.

MunS12

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site

Worked after this helpful piece of advice on usb debugging. I did get an error install message, then had to go through emergency recovery.... but 2 hours later it was done.

Terry Lott

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

Tried just about EVERYTHING as well- and who'd think to disable my internet connection?? seriously= Thanks!