"Update Security Settings to Use Email"

kenhull

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Brilliant: after hours of trying to fix this and then trawling through sites I found this answer which worked - I was not a member, but joined just to thank the person that came up with the solution: drag the small icon in top left and and go to security settings in the list etc. Thanks so much for the post.

Ken S.

kenhull

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
HI

I had this problem to and it frustrated the life out me and I went searching for answers leading me to this site which was no help. I found the answer elsewhere. May I suggest you try looking in the top left corner for a small icon that looks like an envelope. If you find it touch and drag down diagonally on it and it should open up a window that shows the security updates and if click on the accept button I think from memory (or follow the prompts) your problem may be solved. At least mine was.

Hope I am not too late and this works
L

This works, thanks so much.

sillie98

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I had the problem of security update popping up after the OS update from 4.1 to 4.3. I tried a lot of the suggestions but still no Email sync.
Finally I removed the exchange active sync account and set it up again which seems to work for me (at least for the moment).
The Emails sync again and no security update popping up anymore.
I hope its not going to be a tradition after every OS update.

Crackerdan

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Here is what worked for me.

Getting Update Security settings error message
Goto Security and then to Administrators. Uncheck the Email administrator and ok the warning that the email will be deleted. Then setup the account again.

Curtis777

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
I had the same issue with mt Samsung Galaxy5S Work phone.
my person email account on the phone was not affected so I figured it was a corporate issue.

I selected the 2 boxes in the lower left of my screen and then the circle pie in the lower left that takes me to my active applications
I stopped my Exchange email and when I went back into my email at the very top of the screen for only a few seconds was a message that my password or pin has expired.

I went into Settings > Lock Screen selected Screen Lock and entered a new PIN
I first entered my old PIN and received a error that Corporate Policy did not allow the use of old PIN's
I then entered a new PIN and then Opened my Corporate email without any issues

Last edited:

z3f

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
I encountered the same problem on samsung galaxy s5 mini loaded with CM12 rom, mail is on exchange server / O365
I only installed "Intune Company Portal" from Google Play Store.
This is needed to apply some company policies.
Works like a charm now, hope this helps you..

tn-msft

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
In summary - I've seen this happen to a few of the newer Android phones in the organization I work for. Here is a troubleshooting list we use - typically one of these fixes it - but not always the same thing!

• Settings > System > System Updates - check and install updates
  • Click on the 'security update required' prompt 3-5 times, eventually it goes away and works
  • Add a PIN or Password to the Google Play store
  • Add a secure device unlock (PIN, Password, Fingerprint, Pattern)
  • Don't attempt to sync Tasks - some devices this just never works but fixes the problem
  • Don't have more than one Office 365 account on the phone at the same time - not sure why some phones choke with this
  • Delete Exchange account, re-add it, and ensure the "activate" button is clicked when initially adding - this will make some changes automatically which typically do everything that is needed for you

Bernd Hoffmann

Jul 16, 2016
Visit site
I had the same Problem using a new LG G4.
After setting up all office365 exchange information it kept saying "Security update required".
In my case it was solved after restarting the G4 (it was the first time).
After restart it worked without any extra settings.

Mike Stonebreaker

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
I just experienced this problem today on two different android tablets. The error was caused by the exchange server not having device administrator rights.Hope this is helpful.

djmcneal15

Apr 15, 2017
Visit site
a73cb5fea9fcbd7468337f289897beb4.jpg

e55ba9ca6b953a1c680f1f6347bce857.jpg

b26cb07655b57ae954e934983d0f1607.jpg

365d5ca99fded88fd182e65d7ccf9c13.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! To wipe the whole phone -- the permission is to do a factory data reset. This is why I never want to be forced to use my personal phone for work.