Can't see Phone SD Cards in Windows Explorer

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar problem I was able to fix so I'll share the solution.

I could see my SDCard. However when I tried to transfer the files from my GS3 to my PC through Windows Explorer it kept crashing Explorer.
The weird thing was is that the files were on my internal storage not my external. I tried formatting my SDCard from Windows Explorer since it was brand new and that actually fixed it. So if you can at least get the drive labeled Card to appear in Explorer just try formatting it from there.

If it is unable to be read from the phone I recommend taking the SDCard out, and then attaching it to a USB MicroSD Adapter. You can get one for around $5 and it will allow you to insert any MicroSD to a USB Adapter and directly modify the files(no phone, camera, or gaming device needed)

Alex Kinnee

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This threw me off... Make sure your phone is unlocked. If it's locked (you see the lockscreen or the screen is off), then windows explorer is denied any access for security reasons.

afrasay

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem. I transfer one music album file then next one won't work. I could see the directories but has zero (0) files when I click on it. I don't use Kies since it's not installed in my PC.

Jason Humphries

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I had the exact same problem (all videos were on the SD card, and Windows Explorer would only access the internal file structure). There didn't seem to be a way to access the file structure on the SD card - most annoying! Here's what I ended up doing:

I connected via USB, swiped the toolbar at the top down and changed the connection from Camera (PTP) to Media Device (MTP). When it reconnected in MTP mode, I selected "Import Pictures and Videos using Windows" from the prompt that popped up on my laptop. That scanned the phone - SD card included - and imported all the pics and vids from the phone and the SD card to my picture library.

thewizardatst24

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Another thought.... maybe its because you were tied to your wife's and, because of that, I refuses to accept that another phone might accessed. I had that problem between my phone and the wife's also. I got around it by creating a new user on my laptop for my wife and was able to do it that way.

Jim Zubemo

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I have two S3's mine and my wife's. When my wife's is plugged in to the PC via USB both her internal and external SD cards show up in Windows Explorer and you can easily transfer files back and forth. When mine is plugged in you cannot see the SD cards show up in Explorer. Did the soft reboot and factory reset on the phone and no drives show up on Explorer. USB cords work fine. Different USB ports do the same thing. Tried 3 different PC's with my phone and none of them showed the phone in Explorer. Samsung's Chat help couldn't help...Samsung's Phone Support couldn't help...AT&T replaced the phone. New phone, still no luck. The only difference between my phone and my wife's is that mine has the UCLG1 update and her's doesn't. I've tried Kies and it also apparently doesn't work with the S3. I haven't tried Kies Air yet. Any other suggestions or is the update what is keeping Explorer from seeing my phone?

This is how to enable it - Scroll down the notification after you connect the USB cable to PC, and choose media - See this blog post explained with screenshots -
Day 2 Day Experiences: Samsung Galaxy Grand | Android | Unable to see my SD CARD on computer via USB

Skooter Ray

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
YES!!!! I removed and replaced the battery, and VOILA! my PC was able to read both card and phone (both did not appear in Windows Explorer prior.)

souleem

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem with my LG, and I finally figured out that the clip to hold the SD down had slipped out of position. After several hours of playing with using tape and such I figured out I just had to pull the clip back and everything was fine after that.

Thank you Roger! Your idea of adjusting the SD card clip worked for me today.

In the case of my Galaxy Note 3, I removed the SD card, pressed down on the metal tab that holds the SD card in place, reinserted the SD card, reconnected the USB cord and the SD card showed up immediately in Windows Explorer.

I had been forced to remove the Otter Box Defender case and then remove the SD card and insert it into a SD card reader in order to transfer files between my computers at home and at work for the past week or so and it was getting to be a pain to go through all of that trouble.

I don't know what made the SD card clip loosen up, but thank you again for the simple fix!

Alma

Last edited:

Joe Quigley

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Kies is Korean for Crap. It's totally useless.
Never rely on it, if it says it's backed it up (which is a directory on your c drive that you can't choose - Samsung save you the 'bother' of telling it where to put the backup) then check the files, chances are that any photos you have on the micro sd card WON'T have been saved.
Use windows to find the files you want then copy them yourself.

Iron422

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
EJECT the CD / FIRST thing that pops up. Then Windows will THEN ;)recognize the phone and its own internal SD plus the micro SD you put in.

datafix911

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
Here's what i did to be able to see the external microsd card:
1. As your phone is unlocked and plugged into USB port, I went to phone and swiped from top to down on screen to show "Tap for more USB options"
2. Then I just chose: USB charging only (your icon on windows will go away, that's ok)
-Next, I repeated #1 above again but this time choosing the 2nd option-MTP (Windows10 will recognize phone as a device and for me, it still showed only "Internal storage"), np
3. Again, repeat #1, this time I chose "PTP", i get the same result as #2.
4. Lastly, as I for ****s and giggles tried #2 again, Windows went thru the same motions BUT miraculously both the Internal storage and SD card appeared! WTF

Hope this works for some of you.
I'm on a ATT LG G3, non-rooted and using Windows 10 (latest patches)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89