Music App...

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I have all my music in the correct format. I also have my iTunes playlist on my SGSIII now.

But, curious, what is the 'best' music player app?

Thanks in advance

Ivan

FunkMasterJoe

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Check out PowerAmp. It's great. It cost $4.99 though, but you have a 15 day free trial with it. If you don't wanna pay, double twist is a pretty good player as well.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII

Dubg

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I've been using Power Amp for over a year. It is by far my favorite music app.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk.

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. It seems that Google Music is the way to go; no need to convert the .mp4 tracks. They work via Google Music.

Impressive really.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Navi.. I used Kies to import the small number of tunes that weren't DRM protected in my iTunes, so am curious how you got all your music to your phone. Did you invest in a DRM removal software or? The ones I've seen are expensive and you have to import ONE at a time which could take hours. Double Twist can't be used since ICS removed the mass storage thing as you know. Would love to import the rest of my playlist but can't figure out the best way to accomplish this.

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
@jontalk -

A while back I bought a DRM removal tool called Aimersoft. It took me forever to get about 200+ songs changed to .mp3s
I then used Kies to sync my iTunes library to my SGSIII, and all the track play, as it should ;)

Anyway, after all that, last night, a friend on Twitter said, and I quote, "Just use Google Music...". I protested that it didn't support .mp4 tracks. After a bit of testing last night, it DOES. All you need to do is install Google Music, set it to upload either all of your iTunes library, or just the playlist of choice, and ALL the music plays, period.

I've tested it. Albeit, going forward I will only buy music from Amazon. After all, if I buy it, it should be mine, to do with it as I please (same thing Bruce Willis has said only this week). :)

Before I left this morning, I set Google Music (Music Manager) to upload all 800+ songs to Google Music. I need to do the same for my missus, she has 3000+ songs. Yeah, fun times...

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I am VERY impressed with Google Music. I purchased a track in iTunes (Put It Down - Brandy, feat. Chris Brown), and it automatically synced to my Google Music, and, IT PLAYS, too!

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Navi... I actually tried using the Google Music Manager software on my Win XP laptop a few months ago and it caused all kinds of problems, so I removed it. It was in beta then I believe so maybe I'll give it another go.

And yes, the DRM removal software is BS, especially since you'll only need it once and you could buy 30 or 40 more tunes for what the software costs, too, not to mention how tedious it is to use. In all actuality I don't listen to that much music on my phone, but I'd like to have what I paid for from Apple on it just so I can get rid of iTunes once and for all, LOL.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Navi..not sure how you got Music Manager to import and upload your music. I tried again after having done it with Kies, and it does not support mp4 'DRM protected files so I'm stuck with having to spend the time and money in removing the DRM.. UGH! I guess since you removed the DRM, you presumed that the protected files uploaded. The troubleshooting page for Music Manager shows it does not work with that file type. Back to the drawing board.

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
@jontalk PM sent ;)

Albeit I bought 'Put It Down - Brandy, feat. Chris Brown' via iTunes yesterday. It then synced seamlessly to Google Music, and then I played it via the web, and via my Samsung Galaxy S III, too...

Chalvy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
. M4A files will transfer from itunes to whatever software, including Google Music, perfectly fine. I believe that songs you purchase now on itunes are in this format. However,. M4P files will not transfer over because of the drm protection, and these appear to be my older purchased songs from prior to 2010.

This is how it worked for me, and I still buy my songs off of itunes because I can transfer them just fine without any problems...

Reactions: anon(153966)

scottsglock17

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Navi.. I used Kies to import the small number of tunes that weren't DRM protected in my iTunes, so am curious how you got all your music to your phone. Did you invest in a DRM removal software or? The ones I've seen are expensive and you have to import ONE at a time which could take hours. Double Twist can't be used since ICS removed the mass storage thing as you know. Would love to import the rest of my playlist but can't figure out the best way to accomplish this.

I used Android File Transfer to move the songs and videos from my iTunes to my S3, and that converted all of the files for me with no problems at all. You can also transfer photos and I am sure other items from iTunes to your phone. Hope this helps. :)

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Since conversing with @jontalk, I've done more testing, and: Songs that are 'Protected AAC audio file' i.e. .m4p don't work. But, files that are .mp4 or .m4a work in Google Music and thus on your Samsung Galaxy S 3 (Android). Weird really...

bigstormgirl

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Since conversing with @jontalk, I've done more testing, and: Songs that are 'Protected AAC audio file' i.e. .m4p don't work. But, files that are .mp4 or .m4a work in Google Music and thus on your Samsung Galaxy S 3 (Android). Weird really...

I ended up converting all my iTunes .m4p files for .30 cents each with iTunes + (converts them to .m4a). They were songs I had downloaded a few years back. Now everything transfers over fine.

anon(692098)

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site

Not weird at all, .m4p are DRM protected files locked to iTunes, there's no reason to expect a locked DRM protected file to work on something other than the software designed to play it. Conveniently Apple dropped DRM on iTunes tracks back in 2009 so any track bought from 2009 on will have no DRM, also they will have the .m4a extension. You can convert all .m4p tracks to .m4a within iTunes for $.30/ea?

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info @bigstormgirl and @rcook55. I most certainly wasn't aware I could 'convert' via iTunes. Albeit, I do have an application that will convert my old songs. When I start working on my missus music, I might simply pay the $60. She only has about 200 songs to convert, and since one would perform this via iTunes, I'm hoping it would be much quicker than using my application, i.e. it would simply 'remove the DRM' code, and thus not have to literally re-create the track...

anon(692098)

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Also when removing the DRM iTunes also upgrades the song to 256K AAC so it's technically better than what you have now. If you can hear the difference or not is debatable but at least your getting something 'better' right?