AT&T Jelly Bean Update FINALLY Available via Kies!!!!!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I went to the check for updates in settings and said phone was up to date then I tried kies air I connected through wifi and all my phone files came up but nothing about updating?

Air Kies will not work, you must have your phone connected to your computer with the USB cord.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
For whomever was asking..the double click to bring up Google Now can be done.

This app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eikatou0.appspot.home2shortcut&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5laWthdG91MC5hcHBzcG90LmhvbWUyc2hvcnRjdXQiXQ..

Look at the app pics, make sure the last step when you close and it asks, you choose HOME2 as the default.

Now, step #1

For the Home>Home choose the App "Voice Search" and not the "Google" app if you want to double click the home button and the "speak now" option is up and you do not have to wake it up by saying "Google"

Step 3, the HOME application will be TouchWiz or a Launcher if you are using one.

Then the step, step 4 I talked about above, it's easy to miss if you aren't careful because you are used to telling it to use a launcher here, choose the "Home2" option after tapping close. That will now bring up the Google Now "voice searching option" when you double click. Also add the Voice Search app (the one with the mic picture) to your lock screen, which BTW, can now have 5 icons instead of 4.

mordyb

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Indeed. download the latest version for your operating system. Set it up and connect your device via USB and it should auto check for the latest firmware once Kies has recognized your device.

I will try that thank you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

sean8102

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Indeed. download the latest version for your operating system. Set it up and connect your device via USB and it should auto check for the latest firmware once Kies has recognized your device.

Ah pretty cool didn't know you could do that. Thanks.

datastar

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
So the update went really smooth on my wife's GS3, but I have one question... why does it display a memory card icon on the camera screen now, and how do you turn it off? My Note 2 does it also, so I assume its a JB thing.. but it's kinda annoying seeing that on the screen while panning for a photo.

The memory card icon is a new feature to let you know where you pictures and videos will be stored. If you change the storage to phone memory a phone icon is displayed.

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Since there has been some confusion from people about Kies, the BIG problem that some people have(not just here on this thread) is that you need to be using Samsung Kies. Not Kies Air or something else. Samsung Kies is a really badly written app that is somewhat similar in function to Apple iTunes, but for Samsung devices. You can download it here:
Kies - Sync Media, Contacts & Calendars Across All Devices | Samsung

Kies itself has been known to have issues, but is the best, and to my knowledge only way to install the official JB update(you don't need to root or do anything fancy).

So, get Kies, install it on your computer(must be an administrator account on Windows, not standard or limited user), and then plug your phone into the computer. You will see drivers get installed if you are on Windows. Once the drivers finish installing, Kies itself should now show you what firmware you have on your phone, and will now offer the update.

jaltman

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the quick response. I checked and my version of Kies is up to date. Also, my phone is checked as a "media device" and not a "camera". Any other suggestions?
Try a different USB cable, you may be using one with pins shorted for charging. That solved my problem.

datastar

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Kies work on Windows8; click HELP in Kies and make sure you have the latest version. I don't have any problems with Kies when connecting my GS3 or my wife's GTab2 7" Plus; I ony have problems with my GTab 10.1' with ICS. Go figure

datastar

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Not only is typing more accurate; check out the voice typing which works in messaging and email. WOW; I can't wait until my iPhone co-workers get in today. It's goint to be BAM, check this out. It's on now. :)

bogdaryl

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if anyone else has noticed yet but, I'm using TW for my launcher and by accident I discovered I could resize my Beautiful Widgets beautiful clock widget. Very cool well to me anyway

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

jvak55

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Since there has been some confusion from people about Kies, the BIG problem that some people have(not just here on this thread) is that you need to be using Samsung Kies. Not Kies Air or something else. Samsung Kies is a really badly written app that is somewhat similar in function to Apple iTunes, but for Samsung devices. You can download it here:
Kies - Sync Media, Contacts & Calendars Across All Devices | Samsung

Kies itself has been known to have issues, but is the best, and to my knowledge only way to install the official JB update(you don't need to root or do anything fancy).

So, get Kies, install it on your computer(must be an administrator account on Windows, not standard or limited user), and then plug your phone into the computer. You will see drivers get installed if you are on Windows. Once the drivers finish installing, Kies itself should now show you what firmware you have on your phone, and will now offer the update.

Targon
Just worked perfect for me im now updated to JB took about 30 minutes
Thanks
jvak55

kereed

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I was at work yesterday when this failed, I think it was a too slow of a connection.

I tried at home on another Win 7 64, and the download,etc went much faster. It stopped and got stuck at 0% when it was downloading firmware on phone (Phone said do not disconnect...). After an hour, I killed the Kies process on the computer, (maybe re-started phone? can;t remember) and started Kies again, and successfully upgraded phone to 4.1.1.

Lesson learned: Use a good data cable (some of my micro usb cables are only good for charging), and have a good data connection for downloading, otherwise it give strange behaviors...

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
As an Android newbie (since Aug), I haven't updated my phone before and just updated Kies. When I plug my phone in it immediately shows the JB update available and gives you a number of 'warnings' of which one is to fully charge the battery which I'm doing right now. Presuming the update goes as planned, will it remove the folders I've created in 4.0.1 or change any settings? I would hope all it will do is update the OS and leave everything as is especially since I'm running stock Touch Wiz, with no launchers, roots or ROMs. Thanks.

Everything will stay as it is. I will tell you though, if you use "talk back", don't enable it after the upgrade. You will freeze your phone, BIG TIME. :p

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
For whomever was asking..the double click to bring up Google Now can be done.

This app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eikatou0.appspot.home2shortcut&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5laWthdG91MC5hcHBzcG90LmhvbWUyc2hvcnRjdXQiXQ..

Look at the app pics, make sure the last step when you close and it asks, you choose HOME2 as the default.

Now, step #1

For the Home>Home choose the App "Voice Search" and not the "Google" app if you want to double click the home button and the "speak now" option is up and you do not have to wake it up by saying "Google"

Step 3, the HOME application will be TouchWiz or a Launcher if you are using one.

Then the step, step 4 I talked about above, it's easy to miss if you aren't careful because you are used to telling it to use a launcher here, choose the "Home2" option after tapping close. That will now bring up the Google Now "voice searching option" when you double click. Also add the Voice Search app (the one with the mic picture) to your lock screen, which BTW, can now have 5 icons instead of 4.

O.K., I tried using your method, but ran into a problem. My lock screen becomes disabled. Any thoughts on this?:confused:
P.S. My lock screen becomes disabled when i shut off s-voice, whether i use your method or not.

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
This just dropped in my e-mail, from Samsung.

Kinda wish there was a way I could opt out, since I no longer own an S3. :(

Sent from the cockpit of Gurren Lagann

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354731374859.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354731374859.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 31

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Re: AT&T Jelly Bean Update FINALLY Available via Kies!!!!!

Two Kies uninstalls and reinstalls later plus 36 minutes and I finally have Jelly Bean!! yay!

Ok now my next question; I have Google Now on and it says all you have to do is speak "google" to wake it up but that doesn't work from the home screen and the home button still brings up S Voice.

you have to say google once google now is open... that will launch the voice search.

to launch google now, swipe up from the google icon one the lockscreen, or hold down the home key and select the google search icon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa