Galaxy S3 Screen will not stay on

BrandonS317

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Hello all!

New to the forum and hoping you might be able to save me a trip to the store...

In the last 24 hrs ma Galaxy S3 seems to have decided that it no longer wants to keep my screen on. The screen timeout feature is set to 30 seconds and smart stay is active however, if I am not touching the screen it will timeout, go black and lock within 5 seconds and this is happening consistently. I have restarted the phone numerous times and have adjusted multiple screen settings and nothing seems to work. It keeps going black and locking after only 5 seconds or so. No new apps or changes have been made to the phone by me in those same 24 hours.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you!!!

drmaf894c

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Did you try disabling the smart stay? Maybe it is malfunctioning for some reason and turning the screen off instead of keeping it on.

You might try a battery pull since we can still do those and see if that helps reset things differently than a soft reboot.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Android Central Forums

jjthenovice

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I tried disabling smart stay, pulling battery and all the other tricks. None of those worked. Finally I just did a factory reset and all's good now.

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I tried disabling smart stay, pulling battery and all the other tricks. None of those worked. Finally I just did a factory reset and all's good now.

LOL...a factory reset was not necessary. This is a glitch between two different screen settings. To fix it, do this:

1. Go to Settings > Display > Screen Timeout and set it to whatever you want (30 sec.)

2. Go to Settings > Lock Screen > Secured Lock Time and set it to Instantly (should be the fist setting).

If you choose any other setting for this, the screen will time out after 2 or 3 seconds (what you experienced). Although it might work if both are set to the same time.

I found this out pretty quick when I first got the phone. With my old Captivate, I used the 2nd setting so that the screen wouldn't lock right away when the screen timed out. But the GS3 doesn't like that. The two settings don't work together very well.

jjthenovice

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
I knew there would probably be an easier way but just didn't have the time (yeah I know it takes time to reset). This occurred soon after my update to jellybean and at that time I didn't do a reset. So I thought what the heck, I need a factory reset anyway. IMHO it's always best to do a factory reset after a major upgrade. Anyway it's all good in the neighborhood:) Thanks for your input.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch