Phone Number instead of Contact Name

BenjaSands

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Prior to the Gingerbread update I would have a contact name, with their phone number in parenthesis (for whatever reason) ....while my friends phone just had the contact name. So for example: John Doe (M: 222-333-4532): Hey how is it going?

is what I would see in text messages while my friend would just see John Doe: Hey how is it going?

Now...I was able to stand this annoyance but ever since I updated to Gingerbread when I go to where all my text messages are it says the name of each contact..but when I hit the actual message convo all there is a their phone number instead of their name

222-333-4523: Hey hows it going?

I remember there was a way to choose if you wanted your contact name or their phone number to come up anyone know how to do this?

And for some reason I dont think this is going to fix the problem anyone have any other tips or suggestions?

BenjaSands

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Text them again or have them text you, that will usually clear it up.

I tried your suggestion but nothing. Yesterday the way I fixed it was by deleting a contact from my Contacts and then adding them again...and it worked.

But today with a friend I tried it and nothing. All sort of ways. The odd thing is now his name will not come out any sort of way even though I have his number saved.

I click his number (thats blue) and it brings me to a screen that on the top says "Verify the phone number" and then it has a space with a number and an X all the way to the right.
with the options "Call" "Send Message" and "Open Contact" below....

Any idea if maybe I have to do something here?

BenjaSands

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem, I just turned off my phone and pulled out my battery, and everything went back to normal.

But I'm assuming you did that already...

Yup. It is pretty amazing. I fixed the issue with my other friend by hitting "Call" under the Verify the phone number screen....now I have the issue with another friend that texted me Haha....

deleted their contact info, added them again..nothing...took off the 1 and/or the + in their contact info and still....I can live with having the number after then contact name but its frustrating that now it just doesnt seem to show their name even though they are in my contacts....it seems like it happens at random..

shansmi

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I found the issue and I have seen this since Froyo. Go into People and hit menu then select view. Un-check SIM and Phone then OK out. For me these were empty since I only use Google. No FB or Twitter Sync either...

Hope this helps.

danlib21

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
You know whats funny is that I read this thread and thought huh I'm glad I don't have this problem. Then 30 minutes later boom! every text message I have gotten today it has taken away the profile pic and replaced the name with the phone#. luckily since I had already seen this posted I just quickly called the number and hung up and then all was good again. It sure is annoying though.

BenjaSands

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
You know whats funny is that I read this thread and thought huh I'm glad I don't have this problem. Then 30 minutes later boom! every text message I have gotten today it has taken away the profile pic and replaced the name with the phone#. luckily since I had already seen this posted I just quickly called the number and hung up and then all was good again. It sure is annoying though.

haha Yeah I have had to do this a couple times....like another poster had mentioned you can also go into the caller info and it will bring up your contact and just edit and re-save again..and the number should once again turn into the contact name.

And under people and "View" I have only my google contacts checked. When I was on Froyo I noticed Facebook for HTC Sense and Twitter for HTC Sense would cause problems with just showing a contact name...

Wild Child

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
This problem is becoming huge and many are reporting it all over the place, I have the issue also and have been on the phone with ATT and HTC, they are aware of it and have said another OTA will be released once they figure out what the exact issue is, but as for now there is no fix besides downgrading back to the preevious ROM....I will be posting a package I put together with tools provided by JSLEnterprises for this procedure if anyone gets completely fed up with the contacts issue.....

Regards,
WC

BenjaSands

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
This problem is becoming huge and many are reporting it all over the place, I have the issue also and have been on the phone with ATT and HTC, they are aware of it and have said another OTA will be released once they figure out what the exact issue is, but as for now there is no fix besides downgrading back to the preevious ROM....I will be posting a package I put together with tools provided by JSLEnterprises for this procedure if anyone gets completely fed up with the contacts issue.....

Regards,
WC

Thanks for the Update :cool:

Chucky1

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Mine started when I linked everyone to Google. It stopped after I went thru and deleted the Google part of the contact.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
My little sister told me there was an update to her phone. I knew it was GB because it was supposed to be coming, so I told her to update. Oops.. now she's bugging me all the time because of this very issue. She doesn't like GB because of this irritating problem (and 1 or 2 other issues but I don't remember what she said about them). How long until HTC releases a statement and an ETA for a new upgrade/fix? :-(

And even with the fix of battery pulls or editing and re-saving the contacts, it comes right back.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo