A solution to one cause of android.process.acore stopped working

Guinness2702

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Having encountered the "People" app dying with "android.process.acore stopped" with the Sensation, and had no luck with the interwebz finding a solution to my particular version of this problem, I thought I'd post my eventual solution here, in case it helps anyone in the future.

So, the short version is, that I'd recently deactivated my facebook account, and that in some way caused "People" to crash, when I started it. I found (after hours and hours of repeatedly seeing this problem), that only when I reactivated facebook did the problem with people go away. My guess is that it wasn't doing a good job of handling all the facebook links in the vcard/contact metadata, when facebook was deactivated. Note also, I'm pretty sure that this is the problem, because when I deactivated facebook again later, the problem came back.

Anyway, if you encountered the android.process.acore problem, and you recently deactivated your facebook account, this could be why.

Possible solutions:-

1) Well, reactivate facebook, obviously
2) Use a different contact manager (e.g. Contacts+ which in my case didn't crash)
3) You could probably try manually hacking the facebook data out of an export/backup and then re-importing it, but I didn't try this myself, so do so at your own risk.
4) I guess actually, you can remove the facebook links through the People UI, so maybe re-activate facebook, unlink facebook linked contacts, then deactivate facebook again - but I didn't try this either.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Having encountered the "People" app dying with "android.process.acore stopped" with the Sensation, and had no luck with the interwebz finding a solution to my particular version of this problem, I thought I'd post my eventual solution here, in case it helps anyone in the future.

So, the short version is, that I'd recently deactivated my facebook account, and that in some way caused "People" to crash, when I started it. I found (after hours and hours of repeatedly seeing this problem), that only when I reactivated facebook did the problem with people go away. My guess is that it wasn't doing a good job of handling all the facebook links in the vcard/contact metadata, when facebook was deactivated. Note also, I'm pretty sure that this is the problem, because when I deactivated facebook again later, the problem came back.

Anyway, if you encountered the android.process.acore problem, and you recently deactivated your facebook account, this could be why.

Possible solutions:-

1) Well, reactivate facebook, obviously
2) Use a different contact manager (e.g. Contacts+ which in my case didn't crash)
3) You could probably try manually hacking the facebook data out of an export/backup and then re-importing it, but I didn't try this myself, so do so at your own risk.
4) I guess actually, you can remove the facebook links through the People UI, so maybe re-activate facebook, unlink facebook linked contacts, then deactivate facebook again - but I didn't try this either.

Interesting solution. Thanks for sharing. It seems strange that Facebook would be so ingrained in that OS version that turning the app off would cause problems.

Vincent Kiddo

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
(Another solution!)
--------------------------
The problem:
Your Android device (tablet, phone, Android TV) gives you the following message.

“The process android.process.acore has stopped working.”

The solution:
Settings –> Applications –> Manage Applications –> All (button on the top that lets you see all applications) –> scroll down to “Contacts Storage” –> Click on “Clear Data”.

This worked on my Android TV and I have seen reports of it working on other Android devices.

DISCLAIMER!!!
I do not have any contacts stored on my Android TV, so this solution did not cause any problems with my device. If you are using a contacts list on your device, I cannot say whether this will cause problems with your list of contacts. If you think it might, please look for another solution. (If anyone is brave enough to try it anyway, please let me know!)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Thanks you for using ANdriod !_----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guinness2702

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Interesting solution. Thanks for sharing. It seems strange that Facebook would be so ingrained in that OS version that turning the app off would cause problems.

I think it's probably a bug in the "people" app, which is ungracefully handling an unexpected reply from some call it is making to get data from facebook. Perhaps a null value not handled correctly ... but obviously that's just speculation.

(Another solution!)
The solution:
Settings –> Applications –> Manage Applications –> All (button on the top that lets you see all applications) –> scroll down to “Contacts Storage” –> Click on “Clear Data”.

I tried this several times*, but it didn't work for me. Every time I restored my contacts, the problem returned. Again, speculation, but the facebook linkage was restored (at least there was data mentioning facebook in the vcf file), so I guess it started making the same calls to the facebook api, and having the same trouble.
* actually, I tried "People" not "Contacts Storage" from the app list, but upon doing so, I could get back into the "People" app, and the list was empty.... the bug returned when I restored contacts.

Guinness2702

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I just tried emptying contacts storage data (and people again), and it seems to have worked ... contacts were re-imported from google. I'm guessing it stops crashing, because google doesn't have the fb linkage data. ... Hmm, just checked, and it does have it actually ... maybe it just didn't import it?

My problem previously is that my contacts weren't backed up so I didn't want to risk them by clearing data .... after much fiddling, and eventually using the "backup contacts" app on from the play store, I got my contacts into google.

To clarify, ISTM that the "people data" can be cleared, and then restored from contacts (it prompted me to select, when the next time I went into "people"), but "contacts data" once gone is gone.

Anyway, this seems to be another good tip: if you can't get into "people" to export your contacts because it keeps crashing, use "backup contacts" app to export them and even email them to yourself, before you start deleting. I was able to import the backup.csv directly into googlemail, and then from there back to my phone. YMMV

saccogawia

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks...that was fun. Had to time the ok button with traversing through the navigation to get to that spot. After about 20 "OKs" I was able to flip the bit to clear data and get the error to go away. Thanks for saving me from have to hard reset. :)

Brendan Clark

May 8, 2014
Visit site
(Another solution!)
The problem:
Your Android device (tablet, phone, Android TV) gives you the following message.

The solution:

This worked on my Android TV and I have seen reports of it working on other Android devices.

DISCLAIMER!!!
I do not have any contacts stored on my Android TV, so this solution did not cause any problems with my device. If you are using a contacts list on your device, I cannot say whether this will cause problems with your list of contacts. If you think it might, please look for another solution. (If anyone is brave enough to try it anyway, please let me know!)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Thanks you for using ANdriod !_----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It worked! Thanks so much!

Michele Rybak

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for posting that. I decided I would try anything and I recently deleted and reinstalled Facebook and had not put in a password yet. Mercifully, once I put a password in I got my phone back. I appreciate you posting that. Most people go to the hardest steps and I tend to go to the easiest way, Your's worked and you are my hero for today!:D

Rob Tyrie

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
After reading the thread and trying options i noticed a theme. Conflict with Contacts and Facebook.

1. Deleted contact storage - did not solve the problem
2. Disabled calendar - did not solved the problem
3. Wiped cache - did not solve the problem
4. Uninstalled the android Facebook client - solved the problem.

By deduction (uninformed deduction that is), there is a conflict with Facebook and Google contact. Not sure who is at fault, but the conflict causes the android.process.acore error to be thrown. Hopefully both sides will fix the problem or clearly post the work around.

Oh yeah, How do i get my FB fix on the phone - use m.facebook.com - full featured less overhead. I pasted a shortcut onto th launch page.

gregconquest

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
I just ran into this problem also, but it was was immediately after installing Mailbox (by dropbox). Here is my description from the Play Store review:

android.process.acore repeatedly crashes after install of Mailbox!
Code:
Mailbox works fine on my Galaxy S5 * , but immediately after installing this on my Nexus 7 **, I got an unending series of error messages which was new to my device: 
"Unfortunately, the process android.process.acore has stopped." This popped up every few seconds! And it continued after a re-boot. 
UPDATE: It continues after uninstalling Mailbox and rebooting again! The error message is still popping up every few seconds. WTF? Dropbox, you've broken my tablet! It is practically unusable now. 
* S5 (docomo SC-04F (android 4.4.2) 
** Nexus 7 (2013) android 5.0.2
After finding this thread, I did go into the App Manager and remove the data from Contacts, but now Contacts won't even launch. Just as before removing the data (after exporting it on another device), launching Contacts results in an immediate crash, so I cannot even re-import my contacts. Short of re-setting my device, what can I do?

BigBluePanda

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
Re: A solution to one cause of android.process.acore stopped working: bye, bye Facebook!

Facebook app seems to have been the problem for me. Than you, Merciful Android -- I did not have to hard reset my phone. Incidentally, I made several calls to my provider's tech support line and no one mentioned Facebook. Thank you, o great and wonderful forum!

adgorn

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Re: A solution to one cause of android.process.acore stopped working: bye, bye Facebook!

Just started having this problem on my LG G3 this week. Did all the various recommended fixes, including a reset, to no avail. Came here and saw your recommendation, so I deleted the FB app and the problem appears to be fixed!. I appreciate everyone who has taken the time here to post their ideas. Thank you very much.

RjS243

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
Deleting the Contacts Storage data DOES delete all your contacts. I use a MS Outlook interface for my contacts, so I just downloaded them all back to the phone.

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
Help me please

I cant do what normal people do on their phone when they have this issue, i can't clear data, i can't uninstall ****, i cant clear cache!!! WTF IS GOING ON HELP? and it spams the heck out of th emessages unfortunately, googeplay services have stopped and the process android.process.acore. has stopped
HELP PLEASE!!!

Pavithra Ramesh

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
(Another solution!)
The problem:

The solution:

DISCLAIMER!!!

I cleared data in two apps - Contacts and Contact Storage. I did read the disclaimer, nevertheless risked deleting it :D It was worth a try - contact list stayed intact and the error was gone! Thank you, Vincent!

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs