Does the Nexus S have the Galaxy S Gps issue?

jboehle

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I got my Nexus S Thurs morning in Kansas City then promptly flew to California. GPS seemed to work ok in Cali. After flying back on Friday night, I tried to do a Facebook Places checkin somewhere in Kansas on Saturday and it still thought I was in California somewhere. Not sure what was going on. I gave up. Today GPS seems to be working fine.

Definitely seems like there may be a GPS issue.

jsurles

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Hello. I got my NS on day one. Sometimes it seems fine, others it takes FOREVER. Sometimes, even though it's "locked on" it's still with 100+ ft of variation. Last night, I had my most annoying interaction.

I was in a parking garage in an unfamiliar area of downtown. I have a shortcut for "Navigate to Home" on one of my side screens. As I was getting in the car, I clicked it, knowing full well I wouldn't get a signal until out of the garage.

Not only was I able to get out of the garage, get semi lost in downtown streets until I found the right one, get on the freeway, I was halfway home (24 mile trip) before navigation "got a signal". It had been so long, that I forgot I still had maps going, and when it started talking it scared the bajeebus out of me.

I did this (procedure) all the time with my N1, and I would usually be getting fed directions by the time I got to the first light out of the garage.

I know different surroundings and weather can affect the signals, but I've noticed super delay like this alot in the same areas where the N1 would lock on almost immediately. For instance, coming to work, I check in on foursquare (There are like 7 of us competing for building mayor. :)). On my N1, I'd start foursquare as I was getting out of the car (not in a garage) and by the time I started walking away, I could check in. Now, I can't check in at work really unless I walk all the way into the building and catch wifi signals and it uses AGPS to locate me.

Sadly, it seems like I have to be awfully close to get a wifi signal too. :( Google and Samsung.. What have you done to us?!

d3fi4nt

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I'll just stick with my DX for now, had the captivate at a time and the GPS drove me insane. The GPS works great on my DX and has never shown me to be driving on a street a block away in navigation like the captivate did. Gingerbread should hopefully be landing on the DX soon enough. I read somewhere about the last minute hardware changes samsung did on the NS. I bet its because they were trying to use the same faulty broadcom GPS chips that are plaguing the Galaxy S phones.

czamora194

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Nexus S for a couple of months now, I'm located in Spain, and I definitely have issues with GPS to the point that is unusable. Sometimes it does lock my location and follows it for a while, but it normally loses it after a few minutes or half an hour. Most of the times it just simply takes forever to locate my position and when it does the radius is so big it almost covers the whole city or neighborhood.

So, basically, you can not trust on been able to navigate anywhere using your Nexus S. Google Maps and Navigation are simply useless (well you can use the Maps to orientate yourself by looking at the street names the old fashion way, of course).

It's really sad as the phone is great in all other aspects. :(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty