Hardware failure already :(

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Haven't been home with the Nexus S more than an hour, and have discovered that the USB port is loose on the board. Jamming a paperclip beside the cable connector can make it work sometimes.

Why couldn't HTC have made this one, too :(

Back to freeking Best Buy in the snow :/

bigbuss786

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
WOW

WOW, no comment... I hope this isn't widespread, people are already pissed off it doesn't have a dual core and is made by samsung. Haven't heard anyone else say it yet.. USBgate here we go.

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear Jerry. I hope the next one is perfect. I hope it is not a widespread problem because I know with the Captivate, right in the att corporate store, it had issues of the touch capacitive buttons just activating on their own, took it back a few hours later and replacement works perfectly! Hopefully it is just a bad manufacturing on your particular phone!

Cheers,
Charlie

sookster54

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
That happened to my old Blackberry years ago, when I bought it I noticed the screen protector had been taken off so I asked the dealer about it and they said it probably was taken out of the box for a customer to look at it and when I found out the USB port was broken I had to assume it was dropped by that customer. I of course got an exchange within a few hours of owning it.

Baz J Scott

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the UK and mine should be here next week depending on the snow we have at present, I look forward to hearing how the replacement is.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Fast.As.Hell

It's on the way back, should have a replacement within the hour :)

Thats whats i expected, i mean my fascinate runs great despite itself. With all the BS removed.

I hope that USB thing was an isolated incident. But i dont think it is. i have been seeing alot of people in the forums stating that they are getting the USB connected notification. And looking through other forums i have read there is corrosion problems..etc ...

Its a shame because Samsung Has some great stuff going for them like the SAMOLED screen that once it comes in WSVGA is going to blow away competetion. Also they have those new memory chip sets coming out and its rumored they will be using the Tegra2. So they do some really great under the hood stuff but then they drop the ball on things like updates and details such as the USB thing.

Lets hope that their next wave of Galaxy phones they learn from their mistakes because i don't want to move away from the SAMOLED screens. But i can't justify paying $600 for a new phone that is no better then my recent phone.

rajendra82

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to ask about the obvious, but if the Nexus S is just like Galaxy S, have you tried fully opening the sliding cover on the micro USB port? If that cover is only partway open, the connector is very loose. If you make sure to open is all the way till it clicks, the connector sits just fine.

big_time2

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Damn, I hope there aren't more like this. As much as I don't like this phone, I kind of want it to succeed.

I do have to agree with everyone else, HTC should have made this one too. The first one is just awesome. After using it for a year now it still works like new.