Does anyone know anything about T-Mobiles data cap?

axlcb

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
T mobile data cap question

2 calls to T Mobile store yielded 2 different answers. If I get the 3GB simple choice plan, is it 3GB of all data or 3GB of LTE data and unlimited/unthrottled 2G data? On rep said the 3GB limit only applies to LTE, so if your using data in an area that doesn't have LTE, it is not counting against your 3GB limit? Does this sound right? Thanks for any help!

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: T mobile data cap question

The 3GB limit is your "high speed data limit," but all data used counts against it. If you are in a 2G only area, it still counts against your 3GB of data. Once you exceed your limit, you are throttled to 128kbps, which is slower than their theoretical 2G speeds.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

2 calls to T Mobile store yielded 2 different answers. If I get the 3GB simple choice plan, is it 3GB of all data or 3GB of LTE data and unlimited/unthrottled 2G data? On rep said the 3GB limit only applies to LTE, so if your using data in an area that doesn't have LTE, it is not counting against your 3GB limit? Does this sound right? Thanks for any help!

It will be 3 GB of high-speed data (LTE/HSPA). Afterwards you get knocked to 2g for the reset of the cycle which is technically "unlimited" but very slow.

demontooth

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

It's 3 GB of any data. I've seen people ******** about this before on other forums.

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

One thing you can do if you are in a area with 2g and questionable or non existent high speeds. Go to you data settings and change the to 2g only. That way you are only using 2g and it won't count against data. Before I got truly unlimited that's how I used to do it and it worked great.

Sent from my LG G3 via The Uncarrier

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

It will be 3 GB of high-speed data (LTE/HSPA). Afterwards you get knocked to 2g for the reset of the cycle which is technically "unlimited" but very slow.

You actually stay on LTE or HSPA, but get throttled to 128kbps.

One thing you can do if you are in a area with 2g and questionable or non existent high speeds. Go to you data settings and change the to 2g only. That way you are only using 2g and it won't count against data. Before I got truly unlimited that's how I used to do it and it worked great.

I've seen someone else post this before but this doesn't work for me. I downloaded songs on Google Play Music on my wife's phone, which has the 3GB plan, while set to 2G only and it still counted against her data cap.

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

I've seen someone else post this before but this doesn't work for me. I downloaded songs on Google Play Music on my wife's phone, which has the 3GB plan, while set to 2G only and it still counted against her data cap.
Interesting. are looking at what T-Mobile says your data usage is via their website? Or are you using an app or data tracker on your phone?

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

Interesting. are looking at what T-Mobile says your data usage is via their website? Or are you using an app or data tracker on your phone?

Looking at the website. It does take a long time to register, since at an average Edge speed (~150kbps) you're looking at 10 minutes of constant downloads to hit the 10MB threshold for showing up on the website, but it does still increment.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Well yes this is true .. I meant more along the line of him asking about high-speed vs. 2g speeds... I was saying you would get LTE / HSPA speeds then 2g speeds after passing the allotment. :).

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

Well yes this is true .. I meant more along the line of him asking about high-speed vs. 2g speeds... I was saying you would get LTE / HSPA speeds then 2g speeds after passing the allotment. :).

Well, it is an important distinction due to things like this. If you see yourself getting bumped down to 2G in an area that should have 3G/4G you should definitely be concerned.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

You're glad you live in the murder capital of the United States?!?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

That's actually probably Flint, Michigan

Chicago's murder rates are actually the lowest they've been in the last two/three decades. Media tends to overportray things. Rahm Emanuel actually's doing a heckuva good job being mayor. I attribute lower crime rates due to increased security camera usage.

And to say there are people cry out "big brother."

Six Cities With Worst Murder Rates In United States « CBS Chicago

http://abc7chicago.com/news/fewest-chicago-murders-for-first-9-months-of-the-year-since-1965/331969/

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

You're glad you live in the murder capital of the United States?!?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
I've been to q lot of places but its no other place I'll live works for me. Murder city not so much. I'll say we are the gang capital of the us.

Sent from my T-Mobile Z730 using Tapatalk (Central n Ohio Austin IL)